Have your parents ever warned you not to eat the poisonous red berries of the elderberry bush?
Surprisingly, when these berries reach maturity, they can be used as a valuable medicine.
Best of all, these bushes in the honeysuckle family grow freely in the Northeastern and Northwestern areas of the US and Canada and can sometimes be found in your own backyard.
It’s important not to confuse elderberry with American Elder, Elderflower, or Dwarf Elder, which my be sold under the same name (3).
The berry is often transformed into syrup, tincture or wine to be taken medicinally.
- Hay fever
- Upper respiratory infection
- Sinus pain and congestion
- Poor vision
- High cholesterol
- Heart problems
- Yeast infection
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Poor urine flow
The fruit also has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and anticancer properties and is often used externally to treat wounds and promote healing.
How To Make Elderberry Syrup
Berries and flowers cannot be consumed raw, for they contain a toxic cyanide-like chemical. It’s also important to avoid green or red berries, which are poisonous.
This syrup can interact with immunosupressants, diuretics and diabetes medication as well as chemotherapy treatment. It should also be avoided by pregnant women. As with any other natural medicine, you should consult a doctor or naturopath before use.
- 3/4 cup dried elderberries (Sambucus nigra )
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh sliced ginger
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup raw honey
- Place everything but the honey in a medium saucepan.
- Boil over medium heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Use a cheesecloth to stain mixture into a large jar and stir in honey.
- Seal the jar and refrigerate for 2-3 weeks.
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- The Real Truth: Antidepressants Actually Deplete These 3 Crucial Nutrients for the Brain
Antidepressants are one of the most prescribed medications out there. But how much do you know about the side effects …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …
- They Said Hydrogen Peroxide Was Great, But They Didn’t Tell You This
Hydrogen peroxide is perhaps best known for its ability to clean up wounds. But, as this article will attest to, …
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Fight Inflammation The Same Way as Cannabis (Via Cannabinoids)
Cannabinoids are powerful healing compounds found in cannabis that bind to cannabinoid receptors in the brain and gut (1). Other …