Have your parents ever warned you not to eat the poisonous red berries of the elderberry bush?
Surprisingly, when these berries reach maturity, they can be used as a valuable medicine.
Best of all, these bushes in the honeysuckle family grow freely in the Northeastern and Northwestern areas of the US and Canada and can sometimes be found in your own backyard.
It’s important not to confuse elderberry with American Elder, Elderflower, or Dwarf Elder, which my be sold under the same name (3).
The berry is often transformed into syrup, tincture or wine to be taken medicinally.
- Hay fever
- Upper respiratory infection
- Sinus pain and congestion
- Poor vision
- High cholesterol
- Heart problems
- Yeast infection
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Poor urine flow
The fruit also has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and anticancer properties and is often used externally to treat wounds and promote healing.
How To Make Elderberry Syrup
Berries and flowers cannot be consumed raw, for they contain a toxic cyanide-like chemical. It’s also important to avoid green or red berries, which are poisonous.
This syrup can interact with immunosupressants, diuretics and diabetes medication as well as chemotherapy treatment. It should also be avoided by pregnant women. As with any other natural medicine, you should consult a doctor or naturopath before use.
- 3/4 cup dried elderberries (Sambucus nigra )
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh sliced ginger
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup raw honey
- Place everything but the honey in a medium saucepan.
- Boil over medium heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Use a cheesecloth to stain mixture into a large jar and stir in honey.
- Seal the jar and refrigerate for 2-3 weeks.
- Get Rid of Bad Breath, Plaque, Tartar, and Harmful Bacteria In Your Mouth With This ONE Ingredient!
We all know how important dental health is—not just for the brightness of our smiles but for our general well-being. …
- Doctor Pleads Guilty to Ordering Unnecessary Chemotherapy and Billing Medicare
Say it ain’t so, Joe. A Detroit doctor recently pleaded guilty to prescribing unnecessary tests, chemotherapy and other drugs that …
- Do This To Reduce Your Chances of Early Death by 42%
Do you want to live a longer, happier, healthier life? Of course you do – everybody does. So what if …
- 6 Lifestyle Habits That Help Your Adult Brain Produce New Cells
Our understanding of the way our brain functions on a cellular level is always evolving – take the concept of …
- 10+ Signs You Have a Toxic Tooth Infection and How to Treat it Without Going to the Dentist
There are three types of dental abscess: Ginginval – infection of gum tissue Periodontal – infection in supporting bone tissue …
- 37 Million Bees Found Dead After GMO Fields Were Planted Nearby
There are close to 20,000 different species of bees in the world. You are probably familiar with bumble bees and, …
- Guaranteed! Whiten Your Yellow Teeth In Less Than 2 Minutes!
Every picture in every magazine seems to show people with beautifully aligned, white teeth. While Photoshop likely has a hand …
- Why You Need to STOP Putting Toilet Paper Down On Public Toilet Seats Immediately
Public restrooms and toilet seats can be the stuff of nightmares. Try as you may to reduce your exposure to …
- Gut Bacteria Determines Ability to Lose Weight and Keep it Off
Ever wonder why one person will gain weight so easily while another easily remains skinny? Certainly a lot has to …
- Research Suggests Childhood Cancer Linked to Highway Pollution
At the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research this past week, researchers presented data suggesting childhood health …
- Is Chocolate Really a Naughty Treat?
When considering healthy living, many people consider eating chocolate to be a cardinal crime. However, there have been numerous studies …
- 7 Ways To Manage Allergies That Doesn’t Involve Using Over-The-Counter Medication
Spring and summer may mean the end of the winter season and more time spent outdoors in the sun, but …
- States With Medical Marijuana Have Fewer Painkiller Overdose Deaths
We’re finally on the right track. At least the statistics indicate so. For decades, marijuana has been illegal for growth, …
- 2 Ingredient Solution For Knee Pain Relief May Save You From Surgery
Your knees are the most important joints in your body. They’re also the largest. Not only do they support your …
- 3 Main Factors That Affect Your Risk of Developing Cancer
One way or another, cancer affects all of our lives – whether we’re affected by the illness ourselves or watching …