Have your parents ever warned you not to eat the poisonous red berries of the elderberry bush?
Surprisingly, when these berries reach maturity, they can be used as a valuable medicine.
Best of all, these bushes in the honeysuckle family grow freely in the Northeastern and Northwestern areas of the US and Canada and can sometimes be found in your own backyard.
It’s important not to confuse elderberry with American Elder, Elderflower, or Dwarf Elder, which my be sold under the same name (3).
The berry is often transformed into syrup, tincture or wine to be taken medicinally.
- Hay fever
- Upper respiratory infection
- Sinus pain and congestion
- Poor vision
- High cholesterol
- Heart problems
- Yeast infection
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Poor urine flow
The fruit also has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and anticancer properties and is often used externally to treat wounds and promote healing.
How To Make Elderberry Syrup
Berries and flowers cannot be consumed raw, for they contain a toxic cyanide-like chemical. It’s also important to avoid green or red berries, which are poisonous.
This syrup can interact with immunosupressants, diuretics and diabetes medication as well as chemotherapy treatment. It should also be avoided by pregnant women. As with any other natural medicine, you should consult a doctor or naturopath before use.
- 3/4 cup dried elderberries (Sambucus nigra )
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh sliced ginger
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup raw honey
- Place everything but the honey in a medium saucepan.
- Boil over medium heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Use a cheesecloth to stain mixture into a large jar and stir in honey.
- Seal the jar and refrigerate for 2-3 weeks.
- Spray This Oil And You Will Never See Mold Again
Mold is everywhere, whether you can see it or not. These microscopic fungi flourish not only in the bathroom but …
- Science Proves Himalayan Salt Lamps Fight Anxiety and Depression
If you’ve already made the switch to Himalayan salt in the kitchen, why not take it a step further? Large …
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …