Have your parents ever warned you not to eat the poisonous red berries of the elderberry bush?
Surprisingly, when these berries reach maturity, they can be used as a valuable medicine.
Best of all, these bushes in the honeysuckle family grow freely in the Northeastern and Northwestern areas of the US and Canada and can sometimes be found in your own backyard.
It’s important not to confuse elderberry with American Elder, Elderflower, or Dwarf Elder, which my be sold under the same name (3).
The berry is often transformed into syrup, tincture or wine to be taken medicinally.
- Hay fever
- Upper respiratory infection
- Sinus pain and congestion
- Poor vision
- High cholesterol
- Heart problems
- Yeast infection
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Poor urine flow
The fruit also has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and anticancer properties and is often used externally to treat wounds and promote healing.
How To Make Elderberry Syrup
Berries and flowers cannot be consumed raw, for they contain a toxic cyanide-like chemical. It’s also important to avoid green or red berries, which are poisonous.
This syrup can interact with immunosupressants, diuretics and diabetes medication as well as chemotherapy treatment. It should also be avoided by pregnant women. As with any other natural medicine, you should consult a doctor or naturopath before use.
- 3/4 cup dried elderberries (Sambucus nigra )
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh sliced ginger
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup raw honey
- Place everything but the honey in a medium saucepan.
- Boil over medium heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Use a cheesecloth to stain mixture into a large jar and stir in honey.
- Seal the jar and refrigerate for 2-3 weeks.
- Top 8 Ways Women Can Prevent Urinary Tract Infections
A urinary tract infection or UTI is an infection that happens in the kidneys, ureter, bladder, and/or urethra. A UTI is …
- 10 Unusual Ways to Live Longer
Want to live longer? Check out these ten unusual ways to extend your longevity. 1. Wait Longer to Retire While …
- Germany to Legalize Medical Marijuana Next Year
Germany recently passed legislation authorizing the use of cannabis for medical use, following suit of nineteen other countries that have decriminalized …
- This Is Definitely One of The Best Drug Commercials You’ll Ever See!
Nature RX, Part 1 is the first video in a three-part series that show how spending more time in nature improves your …
- Handy Guide To Vitamins A-K
Vitamins like minerals are nutrients that are required by your body in order to function properly. A vitamin deficiency occurs …
- 5 Easy Ways To Beat Brain Fog And Stay Sharp At Any Age
While everyone has moments where they “space out” and misplace their keys or forget the name of someone they met …
- Ancient Map Reveals How Herbal Cures Once Ruled The Land In The U.S. Before Big Pharma Took Over
Long before the world of pharmacies and hospitals, civilization depended on plants to heal common health problems. It’s estimated that …
- These 2 Things Trigger Fibromyalgia. Here’s How To Avoid Them
There is no disputing we live in crazy, hectic times. Longer work hours to achieve the same or even less …
- Is Your Poop Normal? Here’s the Number 1 Reason to Check Your Number 2
Here’s the poop. What goes in must come out, one way or another. What your body doesn’t burn for energy …
- If You See This “Weed” Growing In Your Yard, Don’t Pick It! Here’s Why…
If you take a step outside your front door, how many plants in your garden are you be able to …
- Here is What You Need To Check Next Time You Buy Bottled Water
Bottled water sure is convenient, but are they safe? If you’ve ever turned your bottled water upside-down, you may have …
- Seafood Farmed in Asia is FULL of Pig Feces and Antibiotics, Here’s How to Tell If Yours is Safe
With the rising safety concerns of the use of antibiotics in meat and poultry farming, many people have moved towards …
- 2 Easy Ways to Prepare Nettle Syrup To Help Cleanse Your Blood and Clear Your Arteries
Nettle syrup is commonly used for blood cleansing, but it’s also useful against allergies, inflammation and hypertension. Those with asthma …
- High Blood Sugar May Increase Chances of Memory Trouble, Study Shows
A recent study has demonstrated that high blood sugar levels, and not even those high enough to cause pre or …
- 5 Ways to Stay Awake in the Morning Without Coffee
Ahh, the morning cup o’ joe: hot, dark, and a formidable jump start to the day. Coffee’s good for you …