Washing dishes by hand is seen as healthier than using a dishwasher, mainly because traditional dish soap typically contains fewer ingredients than dish tablets.
The best selling dishwashing soaps are in nearly every American home, but that doesn’t mean that they’re safe.
And if you take a look at their ingredients, you’ll find that many simply aren’t as “natural” or “green” as their labels would have you think.
Here are 5 of the worst ingredients in conventional dish soap (1).
1. Silicate Salts
Sodium silicate is an ingredient found in most conventional household cleaners “Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS)” by the US Food and Drug Administration (2).
However, the substance is corrosive, making it harmful to swallow or inhale. Among other things, it’s known to cause severe irritation to the eyes, skin, and respiratory tract and is toxic to aquatic life (3).
Short-term exposure is known to cause a burning sensation in the eyes, nose, and throat; coughing; wheezing; nausea; and skin irritation. Worse yet, it’s also a known carcinogen.
Many dish soap brands contain a small amount of formaldehyde, but one cleaning giant, Palmolive, promises to remove it from their products by the end of 2017 (5).
3. Sulfuric Acid
The chemical is carcinogenic and can cause burns upon contact with the skin and the sensitive tissues of the respiratory tract. Mainly, it is known to cause laryngeal cancer, nasal sinus cancer, and pneumonitis.
Your dish soap doesn’t naturally smell like apples or lemons: it all comes down to the right combination of chemicals.
Fragrance can be made up of a combination of 3,000 chemicals that do not have to be disclosed to customers. These are considered an industry secret, even if the “fragrance” contains any of the 900 toxic chemicals typically used (7).
Fragrance is known to cause allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system, according to the Environmental Working Group (8).
5. Ammonium Sulfate
This ingredient is used as a cleaning and foaming agent. It’s known to cause gastrointestinal pain if ingested and may damage the skin and eyes if contact occurs (9).
Moreover, one study found that inhaling the substance caused irregular respiratory rhythm in rabbits, which eventually lead to respiratory failure and cardiac arrest.
What You Can Do
You can’t control how many dishes you’ll have to do this week, but you can control what kind of dish soap you wash them with.
Here are 5 relatively safe detergents to use (10):
- Seventh Generation
- Earth & Sun
- Fit Organic
And 5 harmful products to avoid (11):
- Legacy of Clean
Non Toxic Dish Soap Recipe
If you want the best reassurance that your dish soap is safe, make it yourself with the recipe below .
- 1/2 cup Dr. Bronner’s Sal Suds
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup warm distilled water
- 1 tsp. citric acid or lemon juice
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 20 drops essential oils
- In a medium sized bowl, dissolve the salt in the water.
- In a separate bowl, combine Sal Suds, vinegar, and citric acid.
- Add the vinegar mixture into the salt water and stir until thick.
- Add essential oils.
- Store in a jar or soap dispenser.
- DIY Lip Scrub: 26 Easy Ways To Say Goodbye To Chapped Lips
What if it was ridiculously easy to make a DIY lip scrub at home and not worry about artificial chemicals? Cracked …
- It’s Never Been Easier! Just Spray This To Get Rid of Mold Safely, Naturally And Permanently!
Growing mold is a health hazard that should be taken care of as soon as possible. Exposure to mold can be …
- Instantly Rejuvenate Your Health By Fixing These 3 Bodily Systems
Health experts spend their whole lives trying to understand how the human body works and even they, themselves admit how difficult this …
- Use This Inexpensive DIY Hack To Keep Your Feet Warm Throughout The Winter
The cold always finds a way to your feet. Colds, cystitis, kidney problems are just few of the many problems you may face …
- Over 100 Highly Toxic Chemicals Are Found in Perfumes (Here’s How to Make Your Own!)
Public places such as offices and gyms are becoming increasingly intolerant of products with strong scents, like perfume. This is …
- How To Breathe Away Negative And Difficult Emotions
Breathing is an automatic action that sustains life. On average, you inhale about 30,000 times a day without even realizing …
- Big Pharma Seeks Legal Immunity from Damage due to Emergency Ebola Vaccines
The same drug manufacturers that stand to profit immensely from the sale of Ebola vaccines say they require full legal …
- Carrot Juice Cures Stage 4 Cancer
Drug free cancer cures are gaining more and more publicity, as research continues to conclude that conventional therapies often do …
- Amazing Home Remedies for Treating Acne!
No one likes to have acne on their face. While it’s a natural condition that occurs during our teenage years, …
- 10 Weight Loss Habits That Can Help You Lose Over 20-30 Lbs And Keep It Off
Fad diets can help you to lose weight quickly. You’ll probably be impressed with the results after a week. But …
- 12 Everyday Ayurvedic Tips To Live A Long And Healthy Life
Ayurvedic medicine isn’t just something you hear about during your yoga class -it’s a tried and true holistic practice. While …
- This Old School Russian Remedy Will Clean Out Your Liver With Only ONE Ingredient!
We find ourselves damaging our liver almost all the time; eating all the wrong foods and indulging in bad habits. …
- Onions Can Help You With These 5 Health Conditions
The best part of about onions is peeling them layer by layer. Onions are nearly never eaten on their own, …
- These 5 Weird Things Happen To Your Body When You’re Not Getting Enough Iron
Have you been feeling unusually run down and tired lately? Are you easily distracted and struggling to find the energy …
- Why Homemade Sauerkraut Could Be Your Secret Weapon Against Fat, Cancer And Heart Disease
When it comes to probiotics, most people think of pills or yogurt, but there are many other foods that have …