Washing dishes by hand is seen as healthier than using a dishwasher, mainly because traditional dish soap typically contains fewer ingredients than dish tablets.
The best selling dishwashing soaps are in nearly every American home, but that doesn’t mean that they’re safe.
And if you take a look at their ingredients, you’ll find that many simply aren’t as “natural” or “green” as their labels would have you think.
Here are 5 of the worst ingredients in conventional dish soap (1).
1. Silicate Salts
Sodium silicate is an ingredient found in most conventional household cleaners “Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS)” by the US Food and Drug Administration (2).
However, the substance is corrosive, making it harmful to swallow or inhale. Among other things, it’s known to cause severe irritation to the eyes, skin, and respiratory tract and is toxic to aquatic life (3).
Short-term exposure is known to cause a burning sensation in the eyes, nose, and throat; coughing; wheezing; nausea; and skin irritation. Worse yet, it’s also a known carcinogen.
Many dish soap brands contain a small amount of formaldehyde, but one cleaning giant, Palmolive, promises to remove it from their products by the end of 2017 (5).
3. Sulfuric Acid
The chemical is carcinogenic and can cause burns upon contact with the skin and the sensitive tissues of the respiratory tract. Mainly, it is known to cause laryngeal cancer, nasal sinus cancer, and pneumonitis.
Your dish soap doesn’t naturally smell like apples or lemons: it all comes down to the right combination of chemicals.
Fragrance can be made up of a combination of 3,000 chemicals that do not have to be disclosed to customers. These are considered an industry secret, even if the “fragrance” contains any of the 900 toxic chemicals typically used (7).
Fragrance is known to cause allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system, according to the Environmental Working Group (8).
5. Ammonium Sulfate
This ingredient is used as a cleaning and foaming agent. It’s known to cause gastrointestinal pain if ingested and may damage the skin and eyes if contact occurs (9).
Moreover, one study found that inhaling the substance caused irregular respiratory rhythm in rabbits, which eventually lead to respiratory failure and cardiac arrest.
What You Can Do
You can’t control how many dishes you’ll have to do this week, but you can control what kind of dish soap you wash them with.
Here are 5 relatively safe detergents to use (10):
- Seventh Generation
- Earth & Sun
- Fit Organic
And 5 harmful products to avoid (11):
- Legacy of Clean
Non Toxic Dish Soap Recipe
If you want the best reassurance that your dish soap is safe, make it yourself with the recipe below .
- 1/2 cup Dr. Bronner’s Sal Suds
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup warm distilled water
- 1 tsp. citric acid or lemon juice
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 20 drops essential oils
- In a medium sized bowl, dissolve the salt in the water.
- In a separate bowl, combine Sal Suds, vinegar, and citric acid.
- Add the vinegar mixture into the salt water and stir until thick.
- Add essential oils.
- Store in a jar or soap dispenser.
- “Super Lice” Outbreak Hits 25 States: Here’s What You Can Do To Get Rid of Them Naturally
There’s an outbreak of drug-resistant head lice in half of U.S. states and they’re kind of a big problem, especially …
- 10 Weight Loss Habits That Can Help You Lose Over 20-30 Lbs And Keep It Off
Fad diets can help you to lose weight quickly. You’ll probably be impressed with the results after a week. But …
- Wearing a Pair of Eyeglasses Like These Could Help You Sleep Better At Night And Here’s Why
According to the CDC, insufficient sleep is a national epidemic, “linked to motor vehicle crashes, industrial disasters, and medical and …
- Salt, Pepper and Lemon Can Solve These 9 Problems Better Than Any Medicine
Salt, lemon and pepper may seem more like things you’d put on a salad, but these three ingredients actually work …
- How to Make Ginger Water to Treat Migraines, Heartburn, Joint and Muscle Pain
Flavored waters are the new health craze—and for good reason. Not only is water essential for hydration and flushing toxins …
- How To Get Rid of Strep Throat Fast And Without Antibiotics
A painful and inflamed throat is a good indication that you may have a strep infection. Strep throat is very common and …
- This Is Why You Should Drink Warm Water On An Empty Stomach Every Morning
You’ve heard by now that it’s a good idea to drink water first thing in the morning. In fact, you’ve probably …
- Fake Cancer Charities Busted For Defrauding $187 Million In Donations From Americans
Most people who give to charities never question the true impact of their good deed. After all, charities are in …
- This Is What Happens To Wrinkles And Blemishes When You Put Potatoes On Your Body
While it seems pretty normal to cover your eyes with cucumber slices or coat your face with a yogurt mask, …
- Early Prevention: The Top 10 Signs of Cervical Cancer
Cervical cancer ranks as the 14th  most common type of cancer in women in the U.S. Prior to the …
- Fatty Liver Disease: 6 Symptoms You Need to Know
Fatty liver disease can be severely detrimental to your body and your health. Though it doesn’t cause any problems in …
- 5 Tips On How To Prevent Workplace Stress From Aging You Faster
Chronic stress is bad for you – by now, this shouldn’t be a surprising statement. Chronic stress is linked to …
- Older People Sleep Less. Now We Know Why.
Often as people age their sleep patterns change and they spend much less time asleep. We may know this from …
- 10 Dead Simple Natural Pesticide Recipes. You Won’t Believe How Easy It Is To Make These!
Ever wonder what farmers did hundreds of years ago to fight off crop pests? Long before the invention of harmful …
- Watch What Happens To Gray Hair When You Start Drinking Wheatgrass Everyday
Gray hair can make you look a lot older than you really are. Although there’s nothing wrong with having a …