When it comes to breast cancer, the best offense is a good defense – early detection, quickly followed up by intensive treatment.
Lifestyle factors aside, there isn’t a whole lot individuals can do to prevent themselves from getting the disease if they have a genetic predisposition to it, like those with mutated BRCA-1 genes(1).
Some whose family histories have predisposed them to breast cancer opt for extensive preventative surgeries, sometimes having mastectomies and hysterectomies before even being diagnosed with the disease.
But invasive surgery isn’t an ideal means of disease prevention, to say the very least.
The prevalence of various types of cancers has led researchers on a hunt to come up with potential cancer vaccines – vaccines that will trigger the body’s immune system to attack tumour cells and prevent them from taking hold in our vulnerable tissues, blood, and organs.
Immunotherapy Drugs For Breast Cancer
These drugs are known as immunotherapy drugs. Recently, researchers have had some success in using them to treat skin cancer(2) and lung cancer(3). But now they believe they may have found an immunotherapy drug that can work for breast cancer as well.
The study, published this week in the journal Cell, focused on breast cancer tumour growth in mouse models(4).
Silicon microparticles loaded with an antigen known as HER2 were used to stimulate the immune system to recognize and “relentlessly attack” cancer cells responding to the HER2 antigen. The silicon microparticles prevented the antigen from premature destruction, allowing the process to be triggered correctly.
“We could completely inhibit tumour growth after just one dose of the cancer vaccine in the animal model,” said Haifa Shen, one of the lead scientists on the study. “This is the most amazing result we have ever seen in a tumour study.”(5)
Silicon Microparticles Are The Key
According to an article in Gizmag, the key to the vaccines success are the silicon particles that protect the antigen.
Not only do they prevent the antigen from breaking down too soon to be effective, they “kicked off a potent immune response at tumour sites, altering the environment in a way that allows cytotoxic T cells to better perform the cancer cell-killing duties.”(6)
The researchers also found that the silicon particles functioned this way whether or not they were loaded with the antigen.
Huge Potential For Cancer Treatment
The findings from this recent study could have major ramifications for global cancer research – even beyond the potential eventual development of a breast cancer vaccine.
The study is one of the first of its kind to demonstrate the versatility of silicon microparticles when it comes to cancer prevention.
“This is a technology platform that can be applied by other scientists to develop vaccines for other types of cancers, ultimately helping, we hope, more types of cancer patients,” said Shen.
- Cannabis Oil Cured Girl’s Leukemia After HPV Vaccine Broke Down Her Body
Did you know that many children who have received the Gardasil vaccine have also been affected by leukemia and other …
- Tylenol Maker Admits To Selling Medicine Laced With Heavy Metals
Drug manufacturer Johnson & Johnson closed a manufacturing plant in Fort Washington recently, while its subsidiary, McNeil, pleaded guilty to …
- Researchers To Test Dandelion’s Cancer-Killing Potential In Human Clinical Trial
The Windsor Regional Cancer Centre in Ontario, Canada has recruited a group of thirty patients to participate in an experimental …
- Natural Compound Found In Marijuana Helps Heal Broken Bones, And Even Makes Them Stronger
A compound known as cannabinoid cannabidiol, or CBD, which is found in marijuana, may help heal bone fractures, even making …
- This Father-Daughter Duo Wanted To Know How Music Affects Pain…They Were Not Disappointed!
Music can affect us in all kinds of ways – from soothing our moods and helping us get to sleep(1) …
- Teach Your Grandparents How To Use Facebook. It Could Help Keep Their Memories Sharp, Study Finds.
According to preliminary research from a University of Arizona graduate student, learning to use Facebook could offer adults over the …
- Eating Fatty Foods Help Protect Your Brain Against Diseases Like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
The human brain is truly a marvelous thing! Scientists understand only a fraction of what the brain is capable of …
- Drinking Sugar-Sweetened Sodas Can Cause Diabetes Even In People Who Aren’t Obese, Study Finds
Sugar-sweetened drinks are bad for you. We’ve known this for some time: many studies show that sugary drinks like sodas …
- Scientists Discover a Simple Way To Make Chocolate More Nutritious (And It Tastes Better Too!)
Chocolate is one of those foods you just can’t help but love! – 7.2 million tons of chocolate are eaten every …
- This Boy Started Getting Unusual Sores After Playing In One of Those ‘Bounce Houses’
Bounce houses, like games, are fun and children love them! They’re often found at carnivals but parents can also rent …
- According To This Psychologist, Coloring Is Very Effective At Reducing Stress And Here’s Why
Think back to your days as a child and remember all of the wonderful times you had siting at a …
- Loneliness Can Be Just As Bad As Obesity And Heavy Smoking, Study Finds
Did you know that loneliness can be just as dangerous for your health as being overweight or smoking excessively? That …
- No Evidence of Aloe Vera Found in the Aloe Vera at Wal-Mart, CVS
Aloe vera is one of the most popular home remedies throughout the Americas. While it used to be a folk …
- This Type of Bacteria Produces Toxins That Make You More Prone To Insulin Resistance, Study Finds
Over 350 million people are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes every year, with an estimated 9.3% of the population of …
- Prescription Drugs Used To Treat Diabetes Can Cause Severe Joint Pain, FDA Warns
The US Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning that a certain class of diabetes drugs may cause severe …