Many people choose to buy and store herbs like garlic and onions in bulk, but if you don’t use them up fairly quickly, you can end up wasting significant amounts of food to decay and rot.
Fortunately, this simple and cheap technique can help extend the life of onions, garlic and even shallots for months.
What You’ll Need
- Onions, garlic, and shallots that are fresh and free of blemishes. Be sure to cut off any spots that have a soft or rotten texture and use that herb right away to prevent it from contaminating others.
- Brown paper bags, easily purchased at most grocery stores.
- A single hole-punch tool.
What To Do
1. Fold the paper bag in half lengthwise, and punch holes along one edge, then the other. There should be about 1 inch between the punches.
2. When you unfold the bag, you should have multiple rows of holes perforating the bag. Fill the bag with produce, keeping onions, garlic and shallots in separate bags.
3. Fold the bag over at the top, and use a marker to label it – you can hold the bag closed with a simple clothespin.
Store the bags in a cool, dry place like a pantry or cellar, but be careful not to crowd them – onions in particular need air circulation to stay fresh. Lack of air movement can significantly reduce an onion’s storage life, according to the National Onion Association.
The paper bags allow for proper air circulation while protecting onions from exposure to sun and gasses from other herbs and vegetables that may cause sprouting and rot.
Keep in mind that onions and potatoes should always be stored separately, as gasses from onions can cause sprouting in potatoes, even when they’re stored in paper bags.
Special thanks to TheYummyLife for this awesome tutorial!
- 22 Tasty and Proven Detox Drinks That Will Help You Lose Weight
Juice is a healthy alternative to soda and other sweet drinks, isn’t it? It can be: juice prepared at home …
- The Fastest Way to Improve Your Diet
When considering a healthy diet, many people have come to understand that nothing happens overnight. Instead, it is understood that …
- How Ginger Destroys Prostate, Ovarian and Colon Cancer Better Than Chemo
Ginger is one of the most widely used and loved ingredients in culinary dishes worldwide. Its unmistakable zing gives everything …
- The 3 Golden Rules You NEED To Fight Cancer, Slow Down Aging And Burn Belly Fat
Hippocrates had it right when he said, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” This Ancient Greek …
- 7 Ingredients That Are Depleting Your Body of Important Nutrients
Unless you’re living on a farm in the middle of nowhere, chances are you consume at least some packaged foods. …
- Never Heard of Chlorella Before? It’s Time That You Do!
Chlorella is a genus of single-celled, green algae that grow in the sunniest parts of freshwater bodies. According to Dr. Beth …
- Here’s What Happens To Your Body When You Eat MORE of This Cancer-Fighting Veggie
Cauliflower is an underrated food item that is now gaining traction in the world of healthy food trends. That’s right: the food …
- Researchers Wanted To See How Well Wasabi Fared Against Cancer…They Were Not Disappointed!
The potent condiment wasabi, made from spicy Japanese horseradish, may be useful as more than just an addition to your …
- The Truth About Diet Sodas and Why They Don’t Work
Conventional wisdom may tell you that the best way to get started on the path to fat loss is to …
- 7 Amazing Root Vegetables That Will Boost Your Health
Vegetables grown in quality soil are not only great for boosting health, they are one of the easiest foods to …
- 5 Natural Life-Saving Medicines
Nature holds an abundance of natural live-saving medicines. For thousands of years and perhaps longer, people have relied on natural …
- Post-Workout: When and What To Drink
A post-workout meal or drink is highly recommended after an intensive exercise bout, such as an hour of swimming practice, …
- 4 Little-Known Foods That Are Jam-Packed With Digestive Enzymes
Enzymes are very delicate proteins that are responsible for carrying out virtually every metabolic function, from the digestion of food to the …
- The Best Fish to Eat and the Most Dangerous. Avoid These 5 Types Of Fish!
Fish can be an excellent addition to a healthy diet, since many types are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and …
- A Meal With More Than 58% of Its Calories Coming From Saturated Fats Is Harmful To Your Heart
In recent times, saturated fats has become more acceptable. Many studies have shown that foods high in saturated fats such …