Many people choose to buy and store herbs like garlic and onions in bulk, but if you don’t use them up fairly quickly, you can end up wasting significant amounts of food to decay and rot.
Fortunately, this simple and cheap technique can help extend the life of onions, garlic and even shallots for months.
What You’ll Need
- Onions, garlic, and shallots that are fresh and free of blemishes. Be sure to cut off any spots that have a soft or rotten texture and use that herb right away to prevent it from contaminating others.
- Brown paper bags, easily purchased at most grocery stores.
- A single hole-punch tool.
What To Do
1. Fold the paper bag in half lengthwise, and punch holes along one edge, then the other. There should be about 1 inch between the punches.
2. When you unfold the bag, you should have multiple rows of holes perforating the bag. Fill the bag with produce, keeping onions, garlic and shallots in separate bags.
3. Fold the bag over at the top, and use a marker to label it – you can hold the bag closed with a simple clothespin.
Store the bags in a cool, dry place like a pantry or cellar, but be careful not to crowd them – onions in particular need air circulation to stay fresh. Lack of air movement can significantly reduce an onion’s storage life, according to the National Onion Association.
The paper bags allow for proper air circulation while protecting onions from exposure to sun and gasses from other herbs and vegetables that may cause sprouting and rot.
Keep in mind that onions and potatoes should always be stored separately, as gasses from onions can cause sprouting in potatoes, even when they’re stored in paper bags.
Special thanks to TheYummyLife for this awesome tutorial!
- 5 Shocking Reasons to Rethink Chicken
When it comes to your health, you have to be able to trust the provider of the food you eat. …
- 3-Ingredient Matcha Lemonade Effectively Burns Stomach Fat And Alkalizes The Body
What’s better than a sip of lemonade to quench your thirst? Ice tea maybe? With all the added sugar in …
- 5 Warning Signs You Might Be Addicted To Caffeine
Many people don’t realize that caffeine is a psychoactive drug, and that it is the most commonly used globally. More …
- Study Reveals what Really Makes up Fast Food Chicken Nuggets
Recently, a study made waves when it revealed fast food chicken nuggets are a whole lot less chicken meat and …
- 5 Nutrients That Help Improve Oxygen Uptake. Your Blood Cells Will Absolutely Love These!
In order for your body to produce the energy that you need to live, your cells must continually take in …
- 13 Nutrition Myths That You Should Stop Believing
Myth #1 – Calories in, Calories Out: A Flawed Concept The type of food you eat is more important than …
- 9 Superfoods You Can Find at Your Local Grocery Store
Want to eat well with superfoods? You don’t have to trek to a health food store to find these ingredients!
- Vitamin E Plays a Key Role in The Production of Compounds Needed For Carrying DHA to The Brain
Easy to get if you’re eating the right foods, one simple nutrient could be the key to better brain health …
- Scientists Find Pumpkin Seed Oil Causes 40% Hair Increase in Men With Alopecia.
Can The Great Pumpkin cure male pattern baldness? A new Korean study indicates that this might very well be true. From …
- 5 Nutrient Deficiencies You Don’t Know You Have!
Some of us aren’t giving our bodies what they need. Let’s talk about nutrient deficiencies. Do you have any? Whether …
- 10 Herbs and Spices With Amazing Health Benefits (Food Is So Much Tastier With These!)
Variety is the spice of life. Variety of spices is a healthier life. Everyday herbs and spices add not only …
- This is The Easiest, Simplest Way to Make a Healthy Delicious Snack.
This snack idea came from a photo shoot, let me explain. Every photo shoot is catered whether it is in …
- Eat Your Greens, or Your Gut Gets It
Vegetables and fruits provide more nutritious content than just easily-identifiable vitamins and minerals. As with any living thing, they are …
- Gluten-free Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting and Coconut Oil Doesn’t Lead to Bloating
With 1 in 133 people in the U.S. diagnosed with Celiac disease, 1 in 56 with related symptoms, and the …
- 5 Mouthwatering Miso Recipes
Miso comes with all of the health benefits of fermentation. This fermented soybean paste is full of enzymes that aid …