Even if you take a look at the ingredients and food facts you probably don’t glance at the product code.
And why would you?
If you don’t know what to look for, bar codes can be just as confusing as some of the chemical ingredients that go into making processed foods.
But product codes don’t just give information on how much a product costs or what company produced it, it can also indicate the country of origin of dried, canned, jarred, and prepared food goods.
The first two to three digits of the Universal Product Code (UPC) indicate where a product was produced and packaged.
Here’s a quick guide to finding out where your food was produced:
- 00 – 13: USA & Canada
- 754 – 755: Canada
- 690 – 699: China
- 30 – 37: France
- 40 – 44: Germany
- 45 & 49: Japan
- 50: UK
- 57: Denmark, Faroe islands, and Greenland
- 64: Finland
- 76: Switzerland and Liechtenstein
- 471: Taiwan
- 480: Philippines
- 628: Saudi Arabia
- 629: United Arab Emirates
- 740 – 746: Central America
You can find a complete list of these codes here.
Codes can Only Say so Much
Unfortunately, this method isn’t always so clear-cut. The codes mentioned above are used “by European Article Number (EAN-13) bar code standard, …[but not necessarily] the UPC-A bar which is most commonly used in the U.S.” (1).
Another major problem is that if a company used ingredients imported from all over the world but they produce the product elsewhere, only the country where the product is made will be listed on the product code. For example, if a juice company in the United States used apples from South America and Europe but the juice is produced in an American factory, the product code will list the country of origin as the United States.
However, the label will most likely list the country of origin of the ingredients used in the product if they all come from the same country. For example, if you buy coconut water, the label might say “product of Thailand” or the label on tomato sauce may say “Made in the United States from Italian ingredients”.
If there’s no information on the label, doing a quick search online may give you a clue about how and where the product is made.
- These TOXIC Ingredients Are The Reason Why You’re Better Off Making Your Own Toothpaste
You might be surprised to learn that your toothpaste is loaded with unnecessary toxic ingredients. There’s a reason why the …
- Hexavalent Chromium (Chromium-6) Was Just Found In 75% Of Drinking Water
Access to clean drinking water is a basic human right- or at least it should be. While there are many …
- This Brand Added Something To Its Toothpaste…It’s So Bad That Dentists Want It Removed!
You may be brushing your teeth with plastic. Proctor & Gamble (P&G) puts polyethylene beads in some varieties of their toothpastes …
- Here’s Why The Amish RARELY Get Cancer
The Amish way of life isn’t typically considered to be trailblazing. But when it comes to health and longevity, studies …
- Endocrine Disruptors Make You Fat, Sick And Tired…This Is How You Avoid Them!
When food comes into contact with certain plastics, these chemicals can leech into your meal and end up in your …
- Fatty Liver Disease: 6 Symptoms You Need to Know
Fatty liver disease can be severely detrimental to your body and your health. Though it doesn’t cause any problems in …
- This Green Tea Coconut Oil Scrub Will Make Your Skin Silky Smooth And Visibly Younger
There’s nothing like dry air to make your skin look lifeless and dull, especially when it comes to your face. …
- Give Your Dog A Tbsp. Of This Golden Turmeric Paste To Relieve Inflammation And Prevent Cancer
Like humans, pets can also benefit from healing herbs and foods. In fact, there’s a whole branch of veterinarian science …
- Fast Food Giant McDonald’s Is “Facing Its Final Days” And It’s Thanks To You!
McDonalds has recently announced that they will close 700 locations (1). If this a preview of what’s to come, the …
- Canker Sores Are The Absolute WORST…Here’s How To Get Rid of Them Fast!
Almost everyone experiences a canker sore in their lifetime. These annoying mouth ulcers make talking and eating painful and difficult, but …
- How To Grow Pineberries At Home (They Look Like Strawberries, But Taste Like Pineapples!)
Pineberries don’t come from pine trees, they’re actually pineapple flavored strawberries! Other than their unique flavor, these little fruits have …
- 4 Delicious Foods You Can Eat Right Now To Help You Sleep Better
According to the US Center For Disease Control, somewhere between 50 and 70 million American adults struggle with some form …
- 6 Serious Signs of Atrial Fibrillation and Stroke
The connection between stroke and atrial fibrillation can be a life or death matter. According to the National Stroke Association, …
- The Worst 5 Phones To Carry On You If You Want To Avoid Cancer
Cell phones do a great job at connecting people. The problem is, they may be slowly poisoning us with every call …
- A Compromised Liver Is Never a Good Sign…Thank God That Milk Thistle Exists!
Many herbs have tremendous medicinal value and have been used for thousands of years. As Western society catches up with other cultures that …