Even if you take a look at the ingredients and food facts you probably don’t glance at the product code.
And why would you?
If you don’t know what to look for, bar codes can be just as confusing as some of the chemical ingredients that go into making processed foods.
But product codes don’t just give information on how much a product costs or what company produced it, it can also indicate the country of origin of dried, canned, jarred, and prepared food goods.
The first two to three digits of the Universal Product Code (UPC) indicate where a product was produced and packaged.
Here’s a quick guide to finding out where your food was produced:
- 00 – 13: USA & Canada
- 754 – 755: Canada
- 690 – 699: China
- 30 – 37: France
- 40 – 44: Germany
- 45 & 49: Japan
- 50: UK
- 57: Denmark, Faroe islands, and Greenland
- 64: Finland
- 76: Switzerland and Liechtenstein
- 471: Taiwan
- 480: Philippines
- 628: Saudi Arabia
- 629: United Arab Emirates
- 740 – 746: Central America
You can find a complete list of these codes here.
Codes can Only Say so Much
Unfortunately, this method isn’t always so clear-cut. The codes mentioned above are used “by European Article Number (EAN-13) bar code standard, …[but not necessarily] the UPC-A bar which is most commonly used in the U.S.” (1).
Another major problem is that if a company used ingredients imported from all over the world but they produce the product elsewhere, only the country where the product is made will be listed on the product code. For example, if a juice company in the United States used apples from South America and Europe but the juice is produced in an American factory, the product code will list the country of origin as the United States.
However, the label will most likely list the country of origin of the ingredients used in the product if they all come from the same country. For example, if you buy coconut water, the label might say “product of Thailand” or the label on tomato sauce may say “Made in the United States from Italian ingredients”.
If there’s no information on the label, doing a quick search online may give you a clue about how and where the product is made.
- DIY Warming Rub For Sore Muscles
(originally written by Heather) Have You Been Lifting Cars . . . To save trapped kittens again? Bench pressing two year-olds …
- Scorch Body Fat and Save Muscle!
You may or may not already know this but the human body has two main fuel tanks. One is referred …
- How To Treat An Earache And Infection With Sea Salt And A Warm Sock
Often, some of the best fixes for mild illnesses, come from tried-and-true remedies that have been passed down from generation …
- Bees Are Dying And Organic Farming Could Help Save Them (Plus, Make Our Food Better!)
A report released by the Organic Center highlights the importance of organic and sustainable farming practices, not just for food …
- If You See this Red Mark on Yourself or a Family Member, Seek Medical Attention Immediately!
Being outdoors is wonderful, but it has its risks. Rashes and bug bites are almost a guarantee when you spend …
- Eat Probiotic-Rich Foods Everyday To Improve Memory And Reduce Anxiety
Your body contains a truly massive amount of bacteria – over ten times the amount of your own cells! So it’s …
- Energy Saving Light Bulbs Are Poisonous To The Brain, Nervous System, Liver, Kidneys And Heart
There is a growing frenzy about the safety of energy saving light bulbs, which have grown increasingly popular. The US …
- This is Why You Always Wake Up in the MIDDLE of the Night (and how to make it STOP)
Getting a full night’s rest can make you feel like a whole new person at the beginning of the day. …
- 10 Insanely Easy DIY Face Scrubs
Nothing feels better for your face than an occasional deep cleansing. Leaves you feeling refreshed, healthy, and nourished. When you can …
- Watch How Cannabis Ravages Cancer Cells. This Is Mind-Blowing.
Believe it or not, marijuana actually has a long-standing use in Native American traditional medicine and was considered a cure-all …
- How To Grow Lavender At Home To Relieve Stress And Anxiety Every Time You Walk Into The House
Have you ever considered growing lavender? Lavender is perhaps one of the most well-known and widely used herb in the …
- Master List of Monsanto Owned “Food” Producers
What if you found out that your favorite brand isn’t as safe and family-friendly as its colorful branding makes it …
- While You Were Distracted By The US Election, The Senate Outlawed GMO Labeling Nationwide
The issue of requiring the labeling of foods that contain genetically modified organisms (GMO) was brought before the U.S. House …
- 3 Minerals To Reduce and Eliminate Cellulite
Every woman would love to know how to win the war against cellulite. CNN reports “more than 90 percent of …
- DIY Home Remedy Kit for Cold and Flu Season (6 Items)
Noooooo! Summer can’t really be over–so soon! Yes, boys and girls in the Northern Hemisphere, summer is officially over. Children …