Even if you take a look at the ingredients and food facts you probably don’t glance at the product code.
And why would you?
If you don’t know what to look for, bar codes can be just as confusing as some of the chemical ingredients that go into making processed foods.
But product codes don’t just give information on how much a product costs or what company produced it, it can also indicate the country of origin of dried, canned, jarred, and prepared food goods.
The first two to three digits of the Universal Product Code (UPC) indicate where a product was produced and packaged.
Here’s a quick guide to finding out where your food was produced:
- 00 – 13: USA & Canada
- 754 – 755: Canada
- 690 – 699: China
- 30 – 37: France
- 40 – 44: Germany
- 45 & 49: Japan
- 50: UK
- 57: Denmark, Faroe islands, and Greenland
- 64: Finland
- 76: Switzerland and Liechtenstein
- 471: Taiwan
- 480: Philippines
- 628: Saudi Arabia
- 629: United Arab Emirates
- 740 – 746: Central America
You can find a complete list of these codes here.
Codes can Only Say so Much
Unfortunately, this method isn’t always so clear-cut. The codes mentioned above are used “by European Article Number (EAN-13) bar code standard, …[but not necessarily] the UPC-A bar which is most commonly used in the U.S.” (1).
Another major problem is that if a company used ingredients imported from all over the world but they produce the product elsewhere, only the country where the product is made will be listed on the product code. For example, if a juice company in the United States used apples from South America and Europe but the juice is produced in an American factory, the product code will list the country of origin as the United States.
However, the label will most likely list the country of origin of the ingredients used in the product if they all come from the same country. For example, if you buy coconut water, the label might say “product of Thailand” or the label on tomato sauce may say “Made in the United States from Italian ingredients”.
If there’s no information on the label, doing a quick search online may give you a clue about how and where the product is made.
- Spray This Oil And You Will Never See Mold Again
Mold is everywhere, whether you can see it or not. These microscopic fungi flourish not only in the bathroom but …
- Science Proves Himalayan Salt Lamps Fight Anxiety and Depression
If you’ve already made the switch to Himalayan salt in the kitchen, why not take it a step further? Large …
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …