Try as you may to keep your home smelling great, certain factors may occasionally leave a trail of stench that just won’t quit, especially if you keep compost in your kitchen or if you have any pets.
The first step to getting rid of unpleasant smells is to get rid of the source of the stink. While the scent disperses, avoid the urge to spray air freshener around your home; you’ll be glad you did.
The Dangers of Air Fresheners
Ever notice that the label on your bottle air freshener contains a flurry of warning signs? Some even warn that the products can cause illness or death if inhaled and should not be used around children and pets.
One of the main ingredients in air freshener is fragrance, made from a combination of hundreds of petroleum-derived synthetic compounds.
Some of these compounds are known to cause “neurological problems, poor immunity, autoimmune disorders, dermatitis, respiratory distress, asthma, eye irritation, cancer, allergies, infertility, miscarriage, and child behavior disorders including learning disabilities, mental retardation, hyperactivity and ADD” (1).
Another harmful chemical groups found in air fresheners are phthalates, chemicals used to prolong the fragrance in scented products for a longer amount of time.
Phthalates can also cause allergic reactions or even trigger asthma attacks (3).
This combination of chemicals may result in watery eyes, difficulty breathing, nausea, headaches, coma, and burning of mucous membranes of the nose and throat.
Scented candles and other conventional scented products aren’t much better for the health of your family and pets, but there are natural ways to have your home smelling great!
How to Keep your Home Fresh
To clear the air in your home, open up your windows for 10-15 minutes and use one of the two methods below.
- A mason jar with a lid or a used candle jar
- A hammer
- A fork
- An empty candle container
- A screwdriver
- Baking Soda
- Essential oils of your choice
- Pour the baking soda into a regular-sized jar about a 1/4 of the way full.
- Add 8-10 drops of the essential oil of your choice and use the fork to whisk it together until combined.
- Add a beeswax tealight or short beeswax candle and place it in the baking soda. The candle should not be touching the surrounding glass.
- Light and enjoy!
- Use the hammer and screwdriver to puncture 4-5 holes in the tin lid of your jar.
- Pour the baking soda into the small jar up to 1/3 to 1/2 way full.
- Add 8-10 drops of the essential oil of your choice and use the fork to whisk it together until combined. Add more if necessary.
- Screw the top back on and place it in the room of your choice.
- Eat THESE Foods From The Mediterranean Diet To STOP Breast Cancer From Coming Back
It’s no secret that cancer is the disease of the century, but perhaps one of its most well-known and most …
- 7 Smart Ways To Lower Cholesterol Levels Naturally
Above-average cholesterol levels may be increasingly common but they definitely aren’t a good thing! As plaque builds up in artery …
- 6 Natural Strategies To Help Heal Gum Disease Within a Week or Less
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease. Untreated gingivitis can advance to periodontitis, to which there are many degrees. …
- Use These One-Ingredient Solutions To Make Your House Bug-Free (Without Chemicals)
Bug infestations can quickly go from mildly annoying to unmanageable. It can be embarrassing to have friends and family over …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- This is What Happens to The Brain of a Person Suffering From Depression
Depression isn’t just sadness. It doesn’t last a day or two, or even a month. Chronic depression can remain for …
- The Raisins That Cause Allergies, Respiratory Problems, Lung Disease, and Even Cancer
American children are no strangers to raisins – one of the most popular treats found at snack time in schools …
- 5 Perfectly Good Reasons Why Your Digestive System Isn’t Working Properly (No. 4 Is a No-Brainer!)
It seems nearly everyone has digestive issues these days. Crohn’s, IBS, colitis, celiac, and dozens of other digestive disorders have …
- 9 Easy Ways to STOP Mosquito Bites From ITCHING
Mosquitoes are annoying on their own, but when they bite, these pesky insects can keep you frustrated for days on …
- Here’s Why You’re SO Addicted To Sugar…It’s NOT Entirely Your Fault!
Sugar addiction is real. Once we get a taste for it, we crave it and can’t seem to get …
- They Put Cameras Inside A School Cafeteria In Japan. What They Captured? My Jaw Dropped!
Food education is often neglected in today’s society. Yet, it’s one of the most fundamental basics of everyday life. How you …
- How To Grow Organic Wheatgrass At Home (The Most Alkalizing Food You Should Be Eating Every Day!)
Wheatgrass is the latest trend in healthy eating that has people scratching their heads. Wheatgrass isn’t the same kind of …
- Here’s Why So Many Olympic Athletes Are Going Crazy For THIS Ancient Healing Technique!
If you’ve been following the Rio Olympics this year, then you’ve probably caught a glimpse of the large polka-dots bruises …
- This Powerful Anti-Drinking Ad From Finland Will Give You Goosebumps…(Don’t Watch This at Night)
This might be the most eerie anti-drinking ad you’ve ever seen. The ad comes from Finland where alcoholism rates are …
- Undeniable Link Between Aerobic Exercise and Memory Will Make You Think Twice About Taking The Elevator
Researchers from Michigan State University have published a study that looked at the effect of exercise on the brain. We all …