More than three-fourths of the honey sold in U.S. grocery stores isn’t exactly what the bees produce, according to testing done exclusively for Food Safety News. So how do you tell the difference between real honey and fake honey?
The results show that the pollen frequently has been filtered out of products labeled “honey.”
Honey Without Pollen, Isn’t Real Honey
The removal of these microscopic particles from deep within a flower would make the nectar flunk the quality standards set by most of the world’s food safety agencies.
The food safety divisions of the World Health Organization, the European Commission and dozens of others also have ruled that without pollen there is no way to determine whether the honey came from legitimate and safe sources.
In the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration says that any product that’s been ultra-filtered and no longer contains pollen isn’t honey.
Why Do Some Brands Remove The Pollen?
Ultra filtering is a high-tech procedure where honey is heated, sometimes watered down and then forced at high pressure through extremely small filters to remove pollen, which is the only foolproof sign for identifying the source of the honey. It is a spin-off of a technique refined by the Chinese, who have illegally dumped tons of their honey – some containing illegal antibiotics – on the U.S. market for years.
Brands Without Pollen
Professor Vaughn Bryanta at Texas A&M University and one of the nation’s premier melissopalynologists, or investigators of pollen in honey, discovered that many brands of honey had very little amount or no pollen at all. This is what he found:
- 76 percent of samples bought at groceries had all the pollen removed, These were stores like TOP Food, Safeway, Giant Eagle, QFC, Kroger, Metro Market, Harris Teeter, A&P, Stop & Shop and King Soopers.
- 100 percent of the honey sampled from drugstores like Walgreens, Rite-Aid and CVS Pharmacy had no pollen.
- 77 percent of the honey sampled from big box stores like Costco, Sam’s Club, Walmart, Target and H-E-B had the pollen filtered out.
- 100 percent of the honey packaged in the small individual service portions from Smucker, McDonald’s and KFC had the pollen removed.
- Bryant found that every one of the samples Food Safety News bought at farmers markets, co-ops and “natural” stores like PCC and Trader Joe’s had the full, anticipated, amount of pollen.
So if you have to buy at major grocery chains, the analysis found that your odds are somewhat better of getting honey that wasn’t ultra-filtered if you buy brands labeled as organic.
Honey Laundering Is Very Real
Most beekeepers say traditional filtering used by most will catch bee parts, wax, debris from the hives and other visible contaminants but will leave the pollen in place.
Richard Adee, whose 80,000 hives in multiple states produce 7 million pounds of honey each year, told Food Safety News that “honey has been valued by millions for centuries for its flavor and nutritional value and that is precisely what is completely removed by the ultra-filtration process.”
“There is only one reason to ultra-filter honey and there’s nothing good about it,” he says.
“It’s no secret to anyone in the business that the only reason all the pollen is filtered out is to hide where it initially came from and the fact is that in almost all cases, that is China,” Adee added.
Even, food scientists and honey specialists agree on the fact that pollen is the only foolproof fingerprint to a honey’s source.
Removing Pollen Is a Bad Idea
Removal of all pollen from honey “makes no sense” and is completely contrary to marketing the highest quality product possible, Mark Jensen, president of the American Honey Producers Association, told Food Safety News.
“I don’t know of any U.S. producer that would want to do that. Elimination of all pollen can only be achieved by ultra-filtering and this filtration process does nothing but cost money and diminish the quality of the honey,” Jensen said.
“In my judgment, it is pretty safe to assume that any ultra-filtered honey on store shelves is Chinese honey and it’s even safer to assume that it entered the country uninspected and in violation of federal law,” he added.
If you want to buy real honey, make sure you take the following three criteria into account.
- Does it contain pollen?
- Is it made locally?
- Is it organic? (optional)
- Reasons to Go Raw
A raw food diet is an easy transition and makes you feel great. Heidi Kaufman, a licensed nutritionist and dietician, …
- Top 13 Inflammatory Foods You Should Avoid
As we get older, our bodies don’t always keep up. Muscles aren’t as strong as they used to be, skin …
- Here’s Why You Need to Stop Eating Commercial Soy Products
Soy became somewhat of a fad starting in the late ’70s. With the alarming rise in the numbers of people …
- Minute-By-Minute Guide Reveals What Energy Drinks Really Do To Your Body
For many young people, reaching for an energy drink is like grabbing a cup of coffee. Whether it’s studying for …
- Eating Processed Junk Food Makes You Fat and Lazy, Study Suggests
What you eat affects everything about you: energy level, mood, how you look, and overall health. If you pay attention, …
- Eat 3 Dates Daily And These 6 Things Will Happen!
Just like other dried healthy snacks, if you eat dates on a daily basis, you will get tremendous health benefits. …
- See What Happens Inside Your Body When You Eat Ramen Noodles
Ever though what happens when you eat ramen noodles? This story may make you think twice before downing a bowl …
- Beetroot Has An Unbelievable Power: It Can Cure These 12 Diseases
The color of a vegetable says a lot about its nutritional value. Pigments are where a great many of the …
- Mangoes Destroy Cancer, Blast Fat, Reduce Cholesterol, and More
The sweet, unique, delicate flavor of a succulent mango brings the tropics to your plate. Although the tree is in …
- Use This Medicine Once a Year and Forget About Diseases
Garlic is one of the oldest and most widely used functional foods on the planet. With over 7,000 years of …
- 9 Reasons Why Black Seed Is ‘The Remedy For Everything But Death’
Black cumin, or black seeds, are known by many names, and have just as many uses as they do monikers. …
- 3-Ingredient Mixture Improves Vision and Detoxifies Liver
When making anti-inflammatory juices at home, the sky is the limit. There are almost no limits as to what you …
- Top 27 Alkaline Foods On The Planet (Eat More To Prevent Cancer, Obesity and Heart Disease)
The western lifestyle has prioritized convenience over quality in many aspect of everyday life. This is what’s led countless of …
- How to Cook Rice With Coconut Oil to BURN More Fat and Cut Calories by 50%!
A versatile staple food, rice is the foundation of many diets around the world – particularly in Asia and the …
- Don’t Ignore These Warning Signs of Vitamin B12 Deficiency!
Despite eating a diet rich in meat and dairy, experts believe that one in every four adults in the United …