Store bought sunscreens can have some harmful side effects and many people today are choosing to go a healthier, more natural root; but what is the solution when it comes to sunscreens?
Coconut oil itself has a fairly low sun protection factor (4-10) but when combined with other ingredients it can become a better solution for caring for your skin. The recipe below mixes a number of natural ingredients that are safer for your skin than commercially available sunscreens and that have beneficial properties to protect your skin :
Coconut oil: Apart from its low SPF factor, coconut oil also has antiseptic effects and helps to improve skin hydration.
Shea Butter: Shea butter is well known for its skin healing properties, it contains vitamins A and E and enhances skin cell regeneration and blood circulation.
Sesame oil: Sesame oil also has a low SPF and is a good skin softener
Raspberry seed oil: Raspberry seed oil has a high skin protection factor, is rich in essential fatty acids and vitamin E.
Carrot seed oil: Carrot seed oil has excellent antioxidant, antiseptic, and antifungal properties; as well as having a high natural SPF factor of 38-40. Probably the most important protective ingredient in this recipe.
Essential Oils of Your Choice: different essential oils have different effects on your skin but a number of these oils provide benefits for your skin as well as other health problems you may be experiencing.
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup shea butter
- 1/8 cup sesame or jojoba oil
- 2tbsp beeswax granules
- 1-2tbsp zinc oxide powder (optional)
- 1tsp red raspberry seed oil
- 20-30 drops carrot seed essential oil
- Essential oils of your choice (lavender, rosemary, vanilla, and/or peppermint)
1. In a double boiler or small pan melt the coconut oil, sesame or jojoba oil, beeswax and shea butter.
2. After everything has melted together, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Whisk in zinc oxide powder (optional) ensuring that you do not create a lot of dust (you may want to wear a face mask).
3. Put in fridge for another 15-30 minutes so that it starts to set but doesn’t get too hard (you still want to be able to whip it.)
4. Once it has started to set but is still fairly soft, take it out and add the raspberry seed oil, carrot seed essential oil and any other essential oils and mix with a stand mixer or hand mixer until it appears to be light and fluffy.
5. Your sunblock is now ready. Store in fridge and apply as necessary.
By creating your own homemade sunscreen you can not only prevent the damage caused by the commercially available brands but can also add ingredients that will have beneficial, healing properties on your skin. This easy to make sunscreen has emollient, antiseptic, antioxidant and antifungal properties apart from its sun protection factor and you can add more based on your choice of essential oils.
- Got Spring Allergies? Learn to Control Them!
Spring allergies can quickly transform a sunny day spent enjoying the outdoors into a nightmare of pollen-induced sneezing, wheezing, and …
- Cellular Garbage Contributes to Neurodegenerative Diseases
Nature thinks of everything. A new study outlines the discovery of a family of proteins in the body–termed CUET, for …
- 15-Year-Old Puts Cancer Industry to Shame: Develops 100% Accurate Cancer Test Using Google
Pancreatic cancer is deadly. Only 5.5% of those diagnosed with the disease survive past five years. And that’s because it is …
- Heavy Metal Exposure During Pregnancy May Contribute to Autism, NIH Finds
Heavy metal exposure during pregnancy may contribute to autism, according to a study recently completed and published by the National Institute …
- Key Witness in Medical Malpractice Cases Blocked By CDC From Testifying
In recent years, controversy has arisen over children’s vaccinations against what used to be common diseases. Vaccination against measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) …
- 5 Popular Foods That Scrub Away Bad Bacteria To Give You Fresh Breath
Nobody likes to be told they have bad breath. If you’ve got a hot date coming up, you probably already …
- Professor of Plant Biology Destroys Roundup in 3 Minutes
Who is Dr. Don M. Huber? For 50 years, he’s been a scientist studying plant diseases in the U.S. and …
- States With Medical Marijuana Have Fewer Painkiller Overdose Deaths
We’re finally on the right track. At least the statistics indicate so. For decades, marijuana has been illegal for growth, …
- Under Pressure? Use This 2-Minute Trick To Relax!
The habit of meditation is one of the most powerful things you’ll ever learn. Amazingly, it’s also one of the most …
- Your Lymphatic System: The Forgotten Hero
Did you know that we are exposed to 82,000 different toxins, chemically-based products and processed foods in our environment weekly? …
- Replace Your Toxic Mouthwash With Green Tea To Get Rid Of Plaque And Bad Breath
Mouthwash widely recommended by dentists as an essential part of your oral health routine but recent studies hint that it …
- How To Use The R-I-C-E Method To Quickly Get Rid of Swollen Ankles, Legs And Feet
After a long day up on your feet or a long flight, you may notice that your ankles, legs and …
- Doctors Removed His Heart and Installed This Weird Device In Its Place. The Results are Shocking.
In March of 2011, a gentlemen by the name of Craig Lewis, a 55-year-old suffering from a life threatening heart …
- The Single Best Thing You Can Do For Your Health
In this short video presentation, Dr. Mike answers the old question “What is the single best thing we can do …
- 15 Signs Your Liver is NOT Taking Out the Trash (a.k.a. Toxins)
Your liver is responsible for cleaning all the crud out of your body and breaking it down to a form …