Extra smooth with a subtle garlic flavor, this vegan cheese with cashews will make you forget about dairy.
Guess what! You can make your own cheese at home! And you don’t need to live on farm with a bunch of cows and extensive cheese-making equipment (whatever that might be). In fact, this cheese is completely vegan (i.e. no cows involved) and much healthier than your regular cream cheese.
The Secret Ingredient? CASHEWS.
These protein-rich nuts can be turned into an extra smooth, cream-cheese-like paste which you can flavor with whatever you please. Soft and creamy roasted garlic for example. Yum!
But why should you want to do that at all? Most importantly, this cashew cheese is downright delicious. As a bonus, cashews are loaded with healthy fats, protein (36%!!!) and a ton of vitamins and minerals (see nutritional info below).
So How Do You Make This “Cheese”?
Step 1: Don’t be intimidated, it’s super easy.
Step 2: Get yourself some raw cashews. And don’t eat them all or you’ll have to go shopping again. I speak from experience.
Step 3: Soak your cashews for at least 6 hours. I typically do that overnight. If you don’t want to wait that long, use my quick soaking trick to speed things up.
Step 4: Drain them. See how they are nicely plumped up? That’s exactly what you need.
Step 5: Add nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, olive oil and garlic and mix all that in a food processor until super smooth.
Step 6: Serve with pita bread, fresh veggies or anything you like.
Garlic Cashew Cheese Recipe
- 1 cup (130g) raw cashews
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- juice of ½ lemon
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt (depends on taste and dietary requirements)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (or more if the mixture is too dry to blend, sub almond milk or water for an oil-free alternative)
- 4-6 garlic cloves, roasted at 350 (180 Celsius) for about 20 minutes (if that sounds like too much work to you, use 1 teaspoon garlic powder instead)
- Cover cashews with water and let soak for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Drain, put in a food processor and mix with the rest of ingredients until smooth.
- For best results, chill before serving (the mixture cools off from the processing and the flavors blend together nicely).
- How to Make Your Own Homemade Green Powder
Dark, leafy greens are very important for promoting good health. Packed with vitamins and minerals all of us need, we …
- Drink This Homemade Syrup To Help Loosen Up Chest Phlegm and Expel It Out of Your Body
The worst part of a bad chest cold is probably the feeling of congestion you get in your chest, and …
- 5 Pleasing Sweet Potato Recipes. #3 Makes for a Healthy Breafkast.
Organic sweet potatoes are relatively cheap considering the amount of goodness they contain. They contain high levels of vitamin B6, …
- 5 Sweet Tooth Satisfying But Healthy Apricot Recipes. #5 Will Boost Heart Health.
Summer-ready apricots are a great and healthy way to satisfy your urge for something sweet, but also jam packed with …
- How To Make a Simple Remineralizing Toothpaste At Home
With so many commercially available toothpastes on the market, why make your own? Aside from the satisfaction of knowing exactly …
- 5 Interesting Uses of Green Tea
Green tea is well known for its antioxidant properties that aid in a myriad of health benefits, including the classic …
- See What Happens To Your Body When You Drink Parsley Tea with Lemon and Honey
Parsley is an herb that’s often used as garnish. You’ve probably noticed quite a few restaurants doing this. Yet, this medicinal plant …
- This 2-Minute Detox Drink Helps You Burn Fat And Fight Diabetes
Illnesses. Sometimes they’re easy to cure, other times not so much. That being said, having to deal with several health problems …
- Eating Your Trees: Fun and Healthy Broccoli Recipes
Broccoli is rich in fiber, vitamin C, and tons of phytonutrients, and it’s available just about year round. While you …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- Cannabis Coconut Oil – Easy Recipe Combats Pain, Nausea, Seizures, and More
As scientific research takes baby steps into the medicinal qualities of cannabis, we find the door opening to an infinite …
- These Super Healthy Turmeric Coconut Cream Cups Are Easy To Make At Home!
If you’re looking for a way to get more superfoods into your diet. This recipe is going to be your …
- This Lifesaving Ancient Cold and Flu Remedy is so Effective Even Hippocrates Would Recommend It!
Trying to navigate your way through the flu season can be quite the challenge. Especially, if you’re taking public transit. And …
- Drink This Medicinal Tea To Detoxify Your Liver And Strengthen Your Immune System
Take your morning warm lemon water ritual to a new level with the anti-inflammatory and detoxing powers of ginger and …
- Homemade Herbal Decongestant – Instant Fire Cider
Autumn is a great time of year to start a batch of traditional fire cider, pungent and spicy blend of …