Extra smooth with a subtle garlic flavor, this vegan cheese with cashews will make you forget about dairy.
Guess what! You can make your own cheese at home! And you don’t need to live on farm with a bunch of cows and extensive cheese-making equipment (whatever that might be). In fact, this cheese is completely vegan (i.e. no cows involved) and much healthier than your regular cream cheese.
The Secret Ingredient? CASHEWS.
These protein-rich nuts can be turned into an extra smooth, cream-cheese-like paste which you can flavor with whatever you please. Soft and creamy roasted garlic for example. Yum!
But why should you want to do that at all? Most importantly, this cashew cheese is downright delicious. As a bonus, cashews are loaded with healthy fats, protein (36%!!!) and a ton of vitamins and minerals (see nutritional info below).
So How Do You Make This “Cheese”?
Step 1: Don’t be intimidated, it’s super easy.
Step 2: Get yourself some raw cashews. And don’t eat them all or you’ll have to go shopping again. I speak from experience.
Step 3: Soak your cashews for at least 6 hours. I typically do that overnight. If you don’t want to wait that long, use my quick soaking trick to speed things up.
Step 4: Drain them. See how they are nicely plumped up? That’s exactly what you need.
Step 5: Add nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, olive oil and garlic and mix all that in a food processor until super smooth.
Step 6: Serve with pita bread, fresh veggies or anything you like.
Garlic Cashew Cheese Recipe
- 1 cup (130g) raw cashews
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- juice of ½ lemon
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt (depends on taste and dietary requirements)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (or more if the mixture is too dry to blend, sub almond milk or water for an oil-free alternative)
- 4-6 garlic cloves, roasted at 350 (180 Celsius) for about 20 minutes (if that sounds like too much work to you, use 1 teaspoon garlic powder instead)
- Cover cashews with water and let soak for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Drain, put in a food processor and mix with the rest of ingredients until smooth.
- For best results, chill before serving (the mixture cools off from the processing and the flavors blend together nicely).
- 5 Mouth-Watering Apple Recipes
No need to over-complicate things when searching for that healthy snack in the supermarket when an apple can provide you …
- How To Make Any Greens Taste Good In Under 10 minutes And 4 Other Recipes Worth Trying
Dark, leafy greens are amongst one the most nutrient-packed vegetables on Earth. Most people have a hard time getting enough …
- Boost Immunity With These Coconut Oil Recipes!
The health benefits of coconut oil are getting a lot of press these days in the natural health community. Coconut …
- Six Springy Asparagus Recipes
Asparagus season is drawing to its end in most parts of the country, but that doesn’t mean it’s too late …
- 10 Vegan Recipes That Cheese Addicts Will Love
1. Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese This one is a classic. Recipe here. 2. Roasted Sweet Potato and Bean Quesadillas …
- Ginger, Honey and Cinnamon Mixture to Reverse Inflammation, Colds, Flu, Cramps, Diabetes And Cancer
Tea is often the first thing we reach for when we aren’t feeling well. While green tea has many benefits, …
- 5 Soup Recipes To Warm The Bones
Winter is officially upon us, and with it, frigid temperatures are making their appearance across the nation. There is nothing …
- Prepare Healthy and Delicious Pineapple Popsicles Using Only 3 Ingredients
If you’ve ever been to Disneyland, you may be familiar with the Dole whip – a frozen desert featuring pineapple …
- 10-Minute Avocado Egg Salad With Turmeric, Black Pepper And Apple Cider Vinegar
Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually safe and healthy to eat eggs (yolks included!). They’re packed with protein and disease-fighting …
- 11 Easy Crustless Pizza You’ll Love
Pizza is delicious. But it’s not something that you can enjoy every day without any repercussions. There are two main problems with pizza: …
- 4 Easily Digestible Juice Recipes To Elevate Your Mood And Energy Levels
Depression is a mood disorder which affects the lives of many Americans. Left untreated, it can wreak havoc on your work …
- Eat More Omega-3s With 6 Walnut Recipes
Walnuts are one of the best plant-based sources of Omega-3s that you can find, and these mildly-flavored nuts pack in …
- 12 Recipes for Gluten-Free Cookies You Won’t Be Able to Resist
Gluten is becoming an ever-increasing concern in the Western diet. The volume of people with wheat allergies or sensitivities across …
- 5 Athlete-Building Beetroot Recipes
Beetroot has taken center stage since the 2013 Paralympics when athlete David Weir won four gold medals and boasted it was …
- Fermenting Turmeric In a Naturally Carbonated Soda Increases Its Bioavailability (Try This Recipe!)
We know about the potential health benefits of turmeric, a popular Indian spice that has been shown to have potent …