I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!
Homemade ice cream, on the other hand, can be very nutritious, and you don’t even need to own an ice cream machine to make it! One such example is avocado ice cream.
Why You Crave Ice Cream
When you crave a decadent treat, your body is telling you that it needs more fat. That’s why eating a light dessert like fat-free frozen yogurt or ice milk isn’t quite as satisfying as the real thing.
This is because our bodies (especially our brains) need healthy fats in order to function properly. Although they can sometimes be mistaken for one another, cravings express your body’s nutritional needs while emotional eating makes you feel better or gives you something to do.
If you feel like your sweet tooth is getting out of hand, try this unusually scrumptious recipe to meet your body’s needs for fat and protein. Plus, it’ll boost your mood and leave you feeling satisfied. Ever heard of avocado ice cream? It sounds weird but it’s very tasty….and healthy.
What’s in it?
Avocado is a true superfood, providing a healthy source of natural fat that lowers LDL (“bad”cholesterol) and increases HDL (“good”cholesterol) (1). It’s also loaded with potassium, vitamin K and folate (2).
Cashews, like other nuts, contain high levels of good fats and protein. Protein helps your body repair old cells and build new ones. In fact, every cell in the human body contains protein (3). These nuts can also help improve and stabilize your mood.
Honey boasts incredible healing properties that will keep your digestive tract healthy while also fighting off viruses, bacteria, and other pathogens throughout your body. Plus, it’s just sweet enough to please your sweet tooth without spiking your blood sugar.
Coconut Avocado Ice Cream Recipe
This truly is a guilt-free summer treat!
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1-2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons raw organic honey
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- Place the milk and cashew into your blender and pulse until smooth.
- Add other ingredients and blend until well incorporated.
- Enjoy immediately as a smoothie or freeze for two hours to turn it into ice cream.
- Top 10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Asparagus (With Recipes!)
Asparagus is packed with vitamins, fiber and other nutrients essential for our health and as such has a number of …
- How To Completely Eliminate Sugar From Your Life In 2 Months
Ever wondered why you couldn’t lose weight, or couldn’t seem to stick to a diet? It’s likely that you were …
- Top 10 Summer Superfoods Your Body Is Craving
Diet is essential for maintaining optimum health, but what food should you be eating this summer? These superfoods are packed …
- Less Popular Compound Found in Turmeric Helps Brain Heal Itself, Study Finds
A bioactive compound found in turmeric could help repair brain damage, according to new data. Research published today in the …
- He Puts Garlic In A Jar. The Result? I Can’t Wait To Use This In My Kitchen!
There’s no denying the allure of a home-cooked meal, but it’s an unfortunate fact that many tasty things can be troublesome …
- Nitrate-Rich Leafy Greens Amazingly ‘Good for The Heart’, Study Finds
A recent study by the Universities of Cambridge and Southampton has found that nitrate, found in leafy green vegetables, may …
- Mexican Judge Rescinds Monsanto’s GM Soybean Permit to Protect Honey Production
Honey farming is huge business in Mexico–the sixth largest honey producer in the world. So when farmers, beekeepers, the Mexican …
- Does Green Tea Have Caffeine? –Your Questions Answered
Tea is one of the most universally enjoyed beverages on earth. It’s present in all cultures and countries, from China …
- 30 Foods For a Healthier Life
There are countless diets out there telling you what to eat, when you should eat it, how much you should …
- How Eating Broccoli 3X a Week Fights Liver Disease And Cancer (Here’s The BEST Way To Eat It!)
Cancer and liver disease incidence has tripled since 1980; with rates from 2003 to 2012 increasing 2.7% per year. Cancer …
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits Cancer and Weight Loss
The Ketogenic Diet is making the rounds as a new “fad” and people are asking questions. In fact, this nutritional …
- Are You Really Eating Natural Foods, Probably Not.
A typical trip down the aisle of your favorite grocery store greets you with labels proclaiming “All Natural”, “100% Natural”, …
- 8 Medically-Based Reasons to Consume Coconut Oil Every Day (No. 1 Boosts Good Cholesterol Levels)
Coconut oil has until recently been considered a bad thing to include in your diet because of its saturated fat …
- 5 Diet Mistakes That Make You Age Faster
Aging is of course inevitable, but it turns out that we may have more control over how gracefully we age …
- A Recipe for Turmeric Juice: A Powerful Healing Beverage
Turmeric is the spice of the day–and with good reason. Traditionally used in Indian cuisine, this magnificent plant is known …