It’s hard to find a North American child who’s never tasted a hot dog.
Countless schools and households rely on them for quick and easy protein.
While hot dogs are generally accepted as a junk food item, they often get included in “healthy” recipes. Read on and you’ll never want to eat another hot dog again.
Do Hot Dogs Cause Cancer
The American Institute for Cancer Research has reported that processed meats such as sausages, corned beef, hot dogs, beef jerky, canned meat, meat-based preparations and sauces, turkey and chicken cold cuts and bacon can cause cancer (1).
After analyzing 7,000 scientific studies the AICR determined that every 50 gram serving of processed meat you consume daily (equivalent to just one hot dog) raises your risk for colorectal cancer by 21 percent (2).
Carcinogenic chemicals in hot dogs include N-nitroso-compounds (NOC) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH).
The prestigious scientific journal, Lancet Oncology, notes that “high-temperature cooking by pan-frying, grilling or barbecuing generally produces the highest amounts [of carcinogenic] chemicals,” including heterocyclic aromatic amines (HAA) and more PAH.
These chemicals also increase your risk of gastric, esophageal, nasopharyngeal and bladder cancer (3).
The World Health Organization has supported these claims with a study of their own, involving a review of 800 studies from around the globe (4).
Processed meats were also found to increase risk of childhood leukemia in children who ate 12 or more hot dogs per month and in children who’s fathers ate processed meats regularly before conception (5).
How Hot Dogs Are Made
Hot dogs begin as meat trimmings, or pieces of carcass left over after all the desirable cuts have been removed. These are boiled down and grinded up into a paste. Additives are then added to the mix to enhance flavor and increase shelf life.
To put it simply, meat trimming are the lowest quality pieces of meat that are typically used to make pet food and fertilizer.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations defines it as:”…lower-grade muscle trimmings, fatty tissues, head meat, animal feet, animal skin, blood, liver and other edible slaughter by-products.”(6)
Some hot dog brands use powdered milk, artificial food coloring and corn starch, but nearly all commercially-available non-organic products use high fructose corn syrup, sodium phosphate, sodium nitrate, MSG and smoke flavor to make their hot dogs more appealing to consumers (7).
Sodium Phosphate can cause serious kidney damage, kidney failure and, possibly, death (8).
Sodium Nitrate damages your blood vessels and heightens your risk of heart disease and diabetes (9).
Monosodium Glutamate is known to cause headache, numbness in the face, excess sweating, heart palpitations, chest pain and nausea is some individuals (10).
Smoke Flavour activates the highest levels of a well-known, cancer-linked gene called p53. Pyrogallol, also found in cigarette smoke was also found to cause DNA damage (11).
How To Enjoy Sausages Instead
If you’re not ready to give up your hot dog, just make these few changes to lower your exposure to the carcinogens and toxins mentioned above.
- Look for “uncured” varieties that contain no nitrates, coloring, flavor, fillers or preservatives.
- Choose varieties that say 100 percent beef, 100 percent chicken, etc. to avoid questionable meat products in your food.
- If you can, purchase homemade sausages from your local butcher or make your own.
- Something Unexpected Happens When You Take 1-2 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar Before Each Meal…
Apple cider vinegar is probably one of the best things you could drink before a meal. In some cases, it …
- Natural Substance Found in Ginger Destroys Leukemia Without Harming Normal Cells, Study Finds
A new study is starting to make waves around the world . Scientists have discovered that 6-Shagaol, a primary ingredient in …
- Just Eight Weeks of Eating Paleo Can Dramatically Cut Blockages in Your Arteries!
Ever considered going Paleo? Well, a recent University of Houston study demonstrated that it would be worth taking the leap …
- All Positive Reviews: “Becoming a Supple Leopard”
With nearly two months in Amazon’s top 100 fitness bestsellers, Becoming a Supple Leopard is unique to the category in …
- 5 Ways to Stay Awake in the Morning Without Coffee
Ahh, the morning cup o’ joe: hot, dark, and a formidable jump start to the day. Coffee’s good for you …
- How To Detox Your Body From Lead-Contaminated Water
Lead is a toxic heavy metal that should be avoided at all cost. Many studies show that heavy metals in …
- How To Get Silky Smooth Feet With This Natural Treatment Using Baking Soda
Soft, well groomed smooth feet are important to many woman. With uncomfortable shoe designs, errands to run, and jobs that …
- High-Tech “Granny Pods” Could Be The Solution To Expensive Nursing Homes. This Is Genius!
In American society, family members tend to grow apart as they age. When they can no longer live a fully …
- 6 Little-Known Facts About Acid Reflux Doctors Don’t Always Tell You
Everyone’s heard of heartburn, a classic symptom of acid reflux. Acid reflux happens when the ring of muscle known as …
- Coconut Oil & Honey Mixture – Powerful Remedy That Will Stop Cough Instantly
Have noticed that you or one of your loved ones cough a lot? If so, then you really have to …
- 5 Toxins That Destroy Your Thyroid And a Simple Drink To Save It
Your thyroid secretes hormones that regulate the metabolism of every cell in the body (1). It plays an important role in: …
- Painless Trick To Remove Stubborn Splinters In Your Skin Using Only a Bottle
There’s nothing quite like a stubborn splinter to ruin your day. The smaller they are, the harder they are to get …
- This Is What Happens To Your Body When You Give Up Sugar And Alcohol For One Whole Month!
Let’s be frank: sugar is everywhere. It’s in virtually every processed product on the market. Because almost everything we eat …
- Most Store-Bought Honey Is FAKE And Causes Inflammation! (5 Ways To Test The Purity of Your Honey)
Nobody likes to be deceived. Especially not when it comes to their health. Unfortunately, the reality is that millions of people are unknowingly …
- Never, Ever Wash Raw Chicken at Home. Here’s Why.
Why do we do it? My mother did it, that’s why. Washing chicken before you cook it seems logical…we wash our …