Sleep may be an everyday activity, but very few people give it much thought. Even those who suffer from sleep loss may think that’s it’s quite normal.
The truth is that sleep plays a big role in overall health, and getting too much or too little can have a huge impact on your well-being. So is there a good sleep remedy to get you the right amount of sleep?
How Sleep Affects Your Health
Lack of sleep can have horrible repercussions on your health.
In 2011, the European Heart Journal’s (1) reviewed 15 medical studies involving almost 475,000 people and discovered that individuals with a shortened sleep cycles had a 48% increased risk of developing or dying from coronary heart disease. They also found that these people were also at a 15% greater risk of developing or dying from stroke.
This is because sleep is your body’s recovery period.
In fact, better sleep can lead to (2):
- Better sex life
- Less pain
- Lower risk of injury
- Better mood
- Improved weight control
- Clearer thinking
- Better memory
- Stronger immunity
How To Get Proper Sleep
Sleep quality is directly linked to lifestyle habits and health. Distractions like cell phones, computers and televisions before bed has been proven to diminish sleep quality (3).
The key to a good night’s sleep is winding down and relaxing 30 minutes to an hour before bed. This can be done through yoga, a good book or a nice warm bath. There are many great ways to lull yourself into a restful night’s sleep.
Natural Sleep Remedy
This simple, two-ingredient recipe is your key to getting a great night’s sleep. It will help your body relax and regroup from the day, and prepare itself for the next morning.
- 5 teaspoons of organic raw honey
- 1 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt
- Mix these two ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Store it in a glass jar, keeping it in a cool, dark place.
- To use, put a little bit of this mixture under your tongue before bed and let it dissolve naturally.
Why It Works
By the time you go to bed after your last meal, your body will have consumed half of your liver’s supply of glycogen. And because sleep is energy-driven, the more empty your glycogen stores the harder it will be to sleep.
Honey triggers a small spike in insulin levels, and insulin stimulates the release of tryptophan in the brain. Tryptophan is converted to serotonin, which is then converted to melatonin (sleep hormone).
The combination of honey and salt increases serotonin, a key hormone in happiness and relaxation. Himalayan sea salt contains more than 80 minerals and elements that your body needs for different processes, aiding your body in recovering from the day.
- Cooking With Canola Releases More Toxic Cancer-Causing Chemicals Than Any Other Type of Oil
Experts recommend frying foods in coconut or extra virgin olive oil as opposed to vegetable oils. They even go so …
- The Healing Power of Music
Music is everywhere. We all use our car’s pre-set radio stations (or upgrade to satellite radio), music is piped into …
- 8 Natural Ways to Alleviate Pain
When you experience pain of any type, it can be enough to drive you to reach for some acetaminophen or …
- Say Goodbye To Ear Infection! Here’s How to Cure An Ear Infection Naturally in Just 1 Day!
Ear infections are one of the most common ailment children and adults suffer chronically. This is especially true for people …
- 5 Pharmaceutical Drugs that Immediately Destroy Your Health
Pharmaceutical drugs have their place in human health but really only in certain circumstances. We have become a society of …
- 6 Plants that Will Help Keep Your House Naturally Cool
There’s something about house plants that makes a place homier. Bringing green into your home feels comforting, especially in winter …
- Video LITERALLY Shows You What Happens to Your Lungs When You Smoke…And It’s Not Pretty!
In light of the many negative effects of smoking and health issues revolving around cigarettes, various gruesome ad campaigns have …
- How to Lose Weight: the Ultimate Guide
According to the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control, more than seventy percent of adults in the U.S. are overweight …
- Solar Panel Farm Grows 17,000 Tons Of Food Without Soil, Pesticides, Fossil Fuels Or Groundwater
Farming is probably the world’s oldest profession and something that is obviously universal to every culture and race in the …
- Mind-Blowing Reasons Why Aloe Vera Is a Miracle Medicine Plant
Few common plants are as versatile and nurturing to human health as aloe vera. While intrinsically a tropical plant, this …
- Cleveland Clinic Doctor And Libertarian Presidential Candidate Found Dead In Hotel Room
Dr. Mark Allan Feldman, a prominent doctor and member of the world renown non-profit Cleveland Clinic, has been found dead …
- Powdered Alcohol – Important Things You Should Know
Earlier this week, an Internet frenzy unleashed the news that powdered alcohol will be available soon in the US. Announcements …
- Eye Exam Used To Test Your Hearing?
Did you know that upwards of 11 million Americans could currently be seeing better, if only they had their eyes …
- Insurance Companies Begin Writing ‘Ebola Exclusions’ into Policies
While the numbers of people being treated for Ebola are still relatively low in the U.S., insurance companies are taking …
- This Tropical Purple Fruit Has Been Shown to Fight Colon, Breast, Pancreatic and Skin Cancer
Just when you thought you knew every health-promoting fruit out there, another odd-looking purple fruit is making headlines for its …