Sleep may be an everyday activity, but very few people give it much thought. Even those who suffer from sleep loss may think that’s it’s quite normal.
The truth is that sleep plays a big role in overall health, and getting too much or too little can have a huge impact on your well-being. So is there a good sleep remedy to get you the right amount of sleep?
How Sleep Affects Your Health
Lack of sleep can have horrible repercussions on your health.
In 2011, the European Heart Journal’s (1) reviewed 15 medical studies involving almost 475,000 people and discovered that individuals with a shortened sleep cycles had a 48% increased risk of developing or dying from coronary heart disease. They also found that these people were also at a 15% greater risk of developing or dying from stroke.
This is because sleep is your body’s recovery period.
In fact, better sleep can lead to (2):
- Better sex life
- Less pain
- Lower risk of injury
- Better mood
- Improved weight control
- Clearer thinking
- Better memory
- Stronger immunity
How To Get Proper Sleep
Sleep quality is directly linked to lifestyle habits and health. Distractions like cell phones, computers and televisions before bed has been proven to diminish sleep quality (3).
The key to a good night’s sleep is winding down and relaxing 30 minutes to an hour before bed. This can be done through yoga, a good book or a nice warm bath. There are many great ways to lull yourself into a restful night’s sleep.
Natural Sleep Remedy
This simple, two-ingredient recipe is your key to getting a great night’s sleep. It will help your body relax and regroup from the day, and prepare itself for the next morning.
- 5 teaspoons of organic raw honey
- 1 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt
- Mix these two ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Store it in a glass jar, keeping it in a cool, dark place.
- To use, put a little bit of this mixture under your tongue before bed and let it dissolve naturally.
Why It Works
By the time you go to bed after your last meal, your body will have consumed half of your liver’s supply of glycogen. And because sleep is energy-driven, the more empty your glycogen stores the harder it will be to sleep.
Honey triggers a small spike in insulin levels, and insulin stimulates the release of tryptophan in the brain. Tryptophan is converted to serotonin, which is then converted to melatonin (sleep hormone).
The combination of honey and salt increases serotonin, a key hormone in happiness and relaxation. Himalayan sea salt contains more than 80 minerals and elements that your body needs for different processes, aiding your body in recovering from the day.
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …
- THIS Is What Happens To Your Face After Washing It With Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda and coconut oil face wash, can be very good for washing your face. Exfoliating your skin has become …