The worst part of a bad chest cold is probably the feeling of congestion you get in your chest, and there’s only so much vaporub you can apply.
Fortunately, there’s a simple homemade syrup that can help clear up congestion! It’s easy to make, kid- friendly, and even pretty tasty to boot.
Try this home remedy the next time you notice yourself or your kids coughing up phlegm – it’ll help decrease inflammation and clear out your lungs so you can get a good night’s rest and beat the cold.
Homemade Syrup Recipe
- 1 tbsp marshmallow root
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup raw organic honey
Add the water and honey to a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients, turning the heat down to low, and let the mixture steep for 15 minutes. Strain the mixture after removing it from the heat and take a tablespoon of syrup three times daily.
How It Works
Marshmallow root is an herb used to treat swelling and inflammation in the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract. It’s also good for treating coughs, which is why it’s a common ingredient in lozenges and cough syrups(1). It has a mild, pleasant flavor that makes this syrup not only effective, but tasty as well. In addition to being great for congestion and coughs, it can also aid digestion, which is important any time you’re struggling with an illness.
Chock-full of vitamin C to give your immune system a much-needed boost, lemons are the perfect ingredient for any home cold or flu remedy.
Oil from flax seeds is a mild anti-inflammatory that is also safe in high doses(2). Anti-inflammatories are important when you’re dealing with a persistent cough, as they can ease throat irritation and make your throat and chest less sore.
A staple of any home cough remedy, honey has been proven to be just as effective as commercial over-the-counter cough syrups and cold medicines. In fact, when tested in clinical trials, it was proven that honey was considered favorable by most parents to cough syrups, and could help dramatically improve the quality of sleep in children suffering from the common cold(3).
The medicinal ingredients in this syrup are easily found in most grocery stores or health food stores – and this easy-to-make technique yields enough syrup to get you through even the most persistent of colds.
- How To Make Any Greens Taste Good In Under 10 minutes And 4 Other Recipes Worth Trying
Dark, leafy greens are amongst one the most nutrient-packed vegetables on Earth. Most people have a hard time getting enough …
- How To Make Vegan Cheese Using Cashews
Extra smooth with a subtle garlic flavor, this vegan cheese with cashews will make you forget about dairy. Guess what! You …
- Easy To Make Lemon Lavender Pancakes (With Coconut Flour and Homemade Almond Milk)
Pancakes are the ultimate all-American breakfast food. While there are many amazing toppings you can try to take your pancake …
- 5 Heart-Healthy Avocado Recipes That Will Supercharge Your Body
Avocados are a surprising food in that, although they are high in fat, they are actually helpful when trying to …
- Drink This All-In-1 Ginger Tea To Dissolve Kidney Stones, Detox Your Liver And Fight Cancer
Ginger has been used medicinally in China and India for over 5000 years. It’s proven through time to treat digestion …
- Native American “Root Beer”: A Homemade Tonic to Purify Your Blood
The root beer we find on the grocery store shelves today is a far cry from its healthful ancestor. Homemade …
- 10-Minute Avocado Egg Salad With Turmeric, Black Pepper And Apple Cider Vinegar
Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually safe and healthy to eat eggs (yolks included!). They’re packed with protein and disease-fighting …
- See What Happens To Your Body When You Mix Sauerkraut And Turmeric
Fermentation isn’t limited to the process of making your favorite beer or wine. It’s actually used to produce a wide …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- Mix Turmeric, Mango and Pineapple For a Delicious Smoothie Recipe
Turmeric is a great spice – distinctive yet versatile, it’s useful in all sorts of dishes, but isn’t usually used …
- Eat More Omega-3s With 6 Walnut Recipes
Walnuts are one of the best plant-based sources of Omega-3s that you can find, and these mildly-flavored nuts pack in …
- Cauliflower, Coconut oil, Ginger, Turmeric Stew – Amazing!
There’s nothing like a nice cup of stew on a cold evening, especially when it’s full of nutritious veggies. Bursting …
- How to Make Medicinal Pickled Turmeric
This recipe for pickled turmeric promises to reduce inflammation & promote wellness. But before we begin, let’s take a quick …
- Cauliflower With Turmeric Makes For a Powerful Anti-Inflammatory And Anti-Cancer Snack
Cauliflower and turmeric are two superfoods that can be served as a hearty replacement for rice and pasta. Better still, the recipe …
- Make This Delicious And Easy Vegan Whipped Cream Recipe Using ONLY 3 Ingredients
If you’re lactose intolerant or simply prefer vegan recipes, you’ll love this! This vegan whipped cream is unlike anything you’ve …