Gum disease, or periodontal disease, is common, especially in the United States – many adults have some form of gum disease. Gum disease can range in severity from easily-treated inflammation to more serious diseases which can damage the bone and soft tissue supporting your teeth.
Gingivitis is caused by plaque and tartar that aren’t properly cleaned, and is a mild form of gum disease that can lead to the more serious periodontitis if left untreated. When you have gum disease, the outcome depends on how well you care for your teeth and gums from day to day. There are many home remedies for treating gum disease.
Here are some home remedies whose effectiveness has been proven by clinical trials and studies:
1. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling has been used for years as a traditional Indian folk remedy for strengthening teeth and gums. It is said to prevent decay, bad breath, bleeding gums, and more minor symptoms like cracked lips and dryness of the throat.
Oil pulling is performed by taking about a tablespoon of coconut or similar oil and swishing it around in the mouth for several minutes, then spitting it out. It is said to “pull” toxins from the mouth and facilitate better overall health. But does it really work to help prevent and control gum disease? A triple-blind clinical trial in 2009 showed that regular oil pulling could indeed result in better gingivitis scores and less plaque on the teeth in adolescents(1).
2. Garlic and Turmeric Paste
You can make a paste from turmeric and garlic by grinding these two ingredients up together with a little bit of water or olive oil and spread it on your gums. Garlic contains natural antibiotic and anti-microbial properties(2), while turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent(3). Between the two of them, they can kill harmful bacteria and also reduce swelling in your gums.
Neem, or Azadirachta indica leaf, is often used in various healing remedies, including remedies for better oral health. You can make a mouthwash by boiling neem in some water and allowing it to steep, or even find neem toothpaste in some health food stores. One study compared neem gel to traditional mouthwash and a placebo agent to determine their effectiveness on gum disease; the result of the study was that the neem group had the best outcome(4).
4. Aloe Vera Gel
5. Have A Tooth-Friendly Diet
Diet is an especially important factor in oral health. Avoid sugary foods and drinks and focus on foods that are high in calcium, as well as fresh veggies like carrots and broccoli, which can help clean plaque off your teeth.
Maintaining good oral health is important, especially if your diet is low in fresh veggies and high in sugary foods, as many North American’s diets are. With periodontal disease affecting approximately half of Americans, understanding preventative measures for better oral health is more important now than ever before.
- 10+ Signs You Have a Toxic Tooth Infection and How to Treat it Without Going to the Dentist
There are three types of dental abscess: Ginginval – infection of gum tissue Periodontal – infection in supporting bone tissue …
- Drink This 3-ingredient Tea to Cleanse Your Lungs of Phlegm, Toxins, and Inflammation
Everybody catches a cold and flu from time to time. Some suffer chronic respiratory conditions like asthma, bronchitis, and allergies. Mucus …
- Top 10 Dangerous Habits That Damage Your Liver And The #1 Food To Help It Heal
What does your body do with the toxins that enter it? It hands them off to your liver for processing, …
- Root Canals And Breast Cancer: The Hidden Link No One Told You About
Going to the dentist can be pretty stressful for some people, especially if they don’t practice proper oral hygiene. But …
- 6 Ways to Balance Hormones Naturally
Hormones are biochemicals that regulate how the body functions. When it comes down to it, they play a part in …
- Love Hurts: The Neuroscience Behind Heartache
It’s that time of year again. Whether you’d like to admit it or not, Valentine’s Day brings with it emotions, …
- How To Make Your Own First Aid Ointment That’s Safer And Better Than The Store-Bought Stuff
Bacterial ointments are an essential part of family first aid kits. When children have a bug bite or a scraped knee, …
- How to Train Your Brain To Prevent Memory Loss And Alzheimer’s Disease
Still think you can’t teach an old dog new tricks ? Turns out your brain is much more adaptable than …
- Lemon and Baking Soda: A Miraculous Cancer-Fighting Combination
Drinking lemon water is great, but there is a way to take it to a whole other level by adding …
- Apple’s New ‘Wireless’ Headphones Emit Radiation … Right Next To Your Brain
Manufacturers of wireless technology continue to deny the toxicity of radiation emitted by their devices. Most consumers have yet to …
- The Perfect Exercise To Fix Poor Body Posture
Parents and teachers always tell children to keep their back straight. How many times have you heard it yourself? Poor …
- This 3-Ingredient Face Mask Uses Turmeric And Is Great For Acne, Rosacea, And Dark Circles
This face mask is made simply, with just three ingredients, and can help brighten up the complexion, as well as …
- Calcium Alone Won’t Prevent Osteoporosis…You Also NEED These 3 Essential Nutrients!
We know that calcium is needed for tooth and bone support. What you may not know is that calcium doesn’t …
- Anyone Whose Hair Is Falling Out Needs To Make This 2-Ingredient Drink Immediately
Hormones are chemical transmitters in the body that tell cells what to do and when. They are produced by the …
- My Mom Told Me Vinegar Was Useful. But I Never Imagined That It Could Do THIS…Incredible!
Not many people would think of using vinegar for cleaning. While it may not have the most pleasant smell, here’s …