Autumn is a great time of year to start a batch of traditional fire cider, pungent and spicy blend of apple cider vinegar and immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory herbs.
It makes a great herbal decongestant and general tonic. But, what if you are congested right now and can’t wait two weeks?
Try this recipe for “instant” fire cider.
This remedy can be made at home, right now, with very inexpensive ingredients. You probably already have some, if not all, ingredients in your kitchen. It’s filled with decongesting, anti-inflammatory, and immune boosting ingredients. The effectiveness of this combination will amaze you.
Here’s the recipe (makes 8 oz):
- 1/3 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice or the juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup of raw honey (Buy locally, or you can buy it here.)
- Add lemon juice, vinegar, and spices to your jar
- Add honey to bring up to 8 ounces
- all ingredients in a small jar (like a mason jar or hex jar)
- Shake well to mix
- Store in the refrigerator
It can last several weeks in the refrigerator, but you will likely use it all up over the duration of your cold. Shake before each use, as the ground spices settle.
If you can’t find raw apple cider vinegar at your grocery store, you can buy it. Fresh lemons are best, but this shelf stable lemon juice is a great pantry/food storage item.
When severely congested, take 1 teaspoon every 15 minutes for an hour then switch to every 30 minutes, then once an hour. The heat from the cayenne opens the sinuses, and reduces sinus inflammation. Ginger is also a wonderful anti-inflammatory. The lemon juice provides lots of Vitamin C. There isn’t an illness that turmeric doesn’t help in some way. The black pepper is here as a synergist (increase absorption). And both honey and apple cider vinegar are well known for their healing properties (plus they taste really good together). Keep doing this until you go to sleep.
- These Things Happen to Your Body When You Eat Oatmeal Every Day
“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” That’s hardly news. But what’s even more important is what you eat …
- 8 Artificial Food Dyes That Are Bad For You
Food coloring is a tactic the food industry has utilized for decades. From those marshmallows floating in your bowl of …
- New Food Pyramid Shows Rise In Toxicity With Food Processing
A food processing pyramid designed by Udo Erasmus perfectly illustrates how processed foods rise in toxicity and potential health dangers …
- 4 Surprising Facts About Aspartame You Don’t Know But Should
Aspartame came on the sweetener scene in the form of a gumball in 1981 and was happily welcomed, as the …
- Eating Slower Really Does Lead to Weight Loss
When you’re a kid, you tend to believe pretty much everything your parents tell you. But once you move into …
- This Miracle Healing Herb From Nature Helps Fight 5 Different Types of Cancer
Often called the “Miracle Tree,” Moringa oleifera is native to South Asia but can now be found throughout the tropics. Ancient …
- Eat Celery Regularly For a Healthier Digestive System And Lower Blood Sugar Levels
Celery is a common supermarket food, and is also relatively inexpensive even when buying the organic variety that is much …
- Fabulous Flax: Delicious Recipes To Boost Omega-3 Intake
Flax seeds are well known for their wide array of health benefits. High in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and antioxidants, …
- 8 Reasons Why Black Seed Oil Is Know As “The Remedy For Everything But Death”
Nature truly does care for its own! It has provided natural remedies for all manner of health disorders–cinnamon for high …
- A Shot of This 4-Superfood Juice Is a Sure Way To Fire Up Your Immune System
Nothing is more inconvenient than a spring cold – that’s why this recipe is such a lifesaver. If you’re feeling …
- 3 Tricks to Make Your Coffee Super Healthy
The “is coffee good for you?” debate has raged on for years, but researchers finally seem to be coming to …
- Do You Ever Cook With Aluminum Foil? If So, Read This
Tin foil is essential for any good barbecue or picnic. And while it’s a good tool for baking, roasting, and …
- 5 Strawberry Recipes for The Beginning of Summer
Berry season is just around the corner, with ripe and juicy strawberries suddenly becoming available. Strawberries are delicious and nutritious, …
- The Suprising Reason Why You Should Eat ONE Carrot Every Day And The Best Way To Prepare Them
Carrots aren’t only good for your eyesight, and though beta-carotene is often thought of as the most beneficial compound within …
- Powerful Compound Found in Small Seeds is 100% Effective in ‘Preventing Cancer from Spreading’
Would you ever think that staple condiments used at sushi bars could help treat bladder cancer? While seaweed is excellent at …