Autumn is a great time of year to start a batch of traditional fire cider, pungent and spicy blend of apple cider vinegar and immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory herbs.
It makes a great herbal decongestant and general tonic. But, what if you are congested right now and can’t wait two weeks? Try this recipe for “instant” fire cider.
This remedy can be made at home, right now, with very inexpensive ingredients. You probably already have some, if not all, ingredients in your kitchen. It’s filled with decongesting, anti-inflammatory, and immune boosting ingredients. The effectiveness of this combination will amaze you.
Here’s the recipe (makes 8 oz):
- 1/3 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice or the juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup of raw honey (Buy locally, or you can buy it here.)
- Add lemon juice, vinegar, and spices to your jar
- Add honey to bring up to 8 ounces
- all ingredients in a small jar (like a mason jar or hex jar)
- Shake well to mix
- Store in the refrigerator
It can last several weeks in the refrigerator, but you will likely use it all up over the duration of your cold. Shake before each use, as the ground spices settle.
If you can’t find raw apple cider vinegar at your grocery store, you can buy it. Fresh lemons are best, but this shelf stable lemon juice is a great pantry/food storage item.
When severely congested, take 1 teaspoon every 15 minutes for an hour then switch to every 30 minutes, then once an hour. The heat from the cayenne opens the sinuses, and reduces sinus inflammation. Ginger is also a wonderful anti-inflammatory. The lemon juice provides lots of Vitamin C. There isn’t an illness that turmeric doesn’t help in some way. The black pepper is here as a synergist (increase absorption). And both honey and apple cider vinegar are well known for their healing properties (plus they taste really good together). Keep doing this until you go to sleep.
- It Was Hard To Snack Healthy Until I Tried These 16 Delicious Metabolism-Boosting Ideas
The foods you eat between meals are just as important. Snack on the wrong foods and your health will suffer. …
- 12 Uses For Cloves – A Wonder Spice With One of The World’s Highest Antioxidant Value
On the ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) scale used by the National Institute on Aging in the National Institutes of …
- America’s #1 GMO Cookie that Causes Fatty Liver And Cancer
Oreo cookies are of America’s most well-loved and recognized treats. Throughout their 104-year legacy, the cookie brand has settled into …
- Walnuts Are Drugs, Says FDA
You have GOT to be kidding. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for exhaustively testing and regulating …
- Breast Cancer Survivor Says Raw Food Diet Helped Her Heal
Janette Murray-Wakelin is a breast cancer survivor who credits a raw food diet, meditation, physical activity, and following her intuition …
- 7 Foods You Can Add to Your Water That Aid in Digestion and Eliminate Toxins From Your Body
Staying hydrated is essential to promoting good digestion and overall health – ideally you should be drinking between 6 and …
- 6 Seasonal Recipes: Late Spring
There’s nothing fresher than in-season food. While the exact time frame of what’s freshest when might vary somewhat in your …
- Scientists Discover Jackfruit To Be A Powerful Cancer Killer
Colorectal cancer is no walk in the park. This form of cancer affects the large intestine and is hard to …
- Hilarious Video Exposes What ‘Natural’ Products Really Mean
Millions have been duped by the use of corporate language within the food products industry. Related: 5 Ways Food Manufacturers are …
- The Only Video That Coca-Cola Never Wants You To See
What happens when you add milk to a coke? Something disgusting. Soda, while one of the most advertised beverages in …
- Avoid Bloating – 3 Combinations of Foods You Don’t Want to Eat
No one likes that uncomfortable, bloated feeling but do you know what causes it? Here are three combinations you will …
- How To Make Your Own Super-Healthy Detox Tea
The ingredients in this detox tea have been reported to possess a whole list of powerful health benefits, including antioxidant, …
- 9 Reasons Why Black Seed Is ‘The Remedy For Everything But Death’
Black cumin, or black seeds, are known by many names, and have just as many uses as they do monikers. …
- 7 Amazing Root Vegetables That Will Boost Your Health
Vegetables grown in quality soil are not only great for boosting health, they are one of the easiest foods to …
- How Many Meals Should You Eat Per Day?
Ah, the age-old question of healthy eating. Some say stick to three meals a day, with no snacking. Others say …