Cumin is a big part of Indian and Chinese cuisine. As with most spices used by these cultures, cumin is a powerful natural medicine.
According to Web MD, people take cumin for digestion problems including diarrhea, colic, bowel spasms, and gas. Cumin is also used to increase urine flow to relieve bloating (as a diuretic); to start menstruation; and to increase sexual desire (as an aphrodisiac) (1).
Here are ten more additional health benefits of cumin you might not be aware of:
Anemia is a condition in which you don’t have enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to your tissues (2). It’s often caused by iron deficiency.
Cumin is incredibly high in iron, in fact, 1 tablespoon is enough to supply 22% of your daily value of iron (3). Use it to season meat or vegetables or add it to soups and salad dressings for a kick of flavor.
Acid reflux can be an incredibly uncomfortable condition, but cumin can solve it it just a few minutes.
To use, simply place a pinch of cumin on your tongue and keep in your mouth for 2-3 minutes, then swallow it.
You can also combine cumin, coriander and raw sugar in equal amounts and take it with a glass of water every morning for chronic acid reflux.
Cumin can be used as a diabetes treatment to reduce FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar) and lower glucose levels in the blood and tissue lipids (4).
Diabetics can enjoy these benefits by adding a teaspoon of ground cumin in a glass of water and drink twice a day.
4. Liver Detox
The University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine suggests the use of cumin tea as a part of their “Detoxification to Promote Health Program” (5).
To make the tea , steep 1⁄2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds, 1⁄2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds and 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds in a cup of boiled water. Steep for 10 minutes and enjoy after each meal.
Constipation is quite common but can quickly develop in to a serious condition if left untreated. To relieve constipation and associated abdominal pain, try the following recipe:
- Mix equal amounts of cumin, black pepper, dry ginger and curry powder (1/4-1/2 teaspoon works well).
- In a small sauce pan, slowly melt one tablespoon of butter.
- Once melted, remove from heat and add spices and a pinch of salt.
- Serve over a cup of rice followed by 2 glasses of water an hour after the meal.
6. Cough and Colds
Cumin has anti-viral (6) properties, meaning that it can help fight off a cold or other viral infection.
If taken as a tea, it will help ease chest pain and loosen phlegm. It’s also high in vitamin C, which helps to boots the immune system and prevent future infection.
Just steep a 1/2 tablespoon of cumin seeds per cup of boiled water for around 10 minutes. If you’re suffering from a sore throat, add a few slices of ginger too.
To treat and prevent indigestion, grind equal parts of rock salt, black pepper, dried ginger and cumin.
Take a tablespoon in a large glass of water after meals. It will also help relieve post-meal flatulence and bloating.
In a recent study, cumin was found to help treat all symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), including diarrhea, fecal urgency and the presence of mucus in the stool (7).
All you need is to mix 5 grams of roasted, ground cumin to a glass of yogurt and take 2-3 times a day until symptoms are relieved.
Chronic vomiting can be easily controlled by ingesting a tablespoon of fine powder of roasted cumin mixed with honey after each meal.
If vomiting persists for 2-3 days, it’s important to go visit a doctor and try to stay hydrated.
Iron deficiency can lead to sleep disorders (8). Because of it’s high levels of the mineral, cumin seeds can help ensure a proper night’s sleep.
Simply combine 1/2 teaspoon of roasted cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon of honey and a mashed banana.
It’s always best to use organic whole cumin seeds and grind them with a mortar and pestle.
Whole seeds stay fresh for a year if stored in a cool, dark place, and can be roasted before use.
Cumin powder is more convenient but will only last about 6 months before it expires.
- CDC Confirms THIS Natural Oil To Be As Effective As DEET For Warding Off Mosquitoes!
It’s rare for large companies and organizations to endorse natural products, but it seems as though it’s finally occurred! The …
- 10 Medicinal Plants That Should Be in Every Garden
In (not-so-long-ago) days past, many families kept a little herb garden–even if it was in a windowbox. The herbs were …
- Wal-Mart to Sell Organic Food at ‘Non-Organic Prices’
On April 10, retail giant Wal-Mart announced a plan to offer packaged organic foods at prices comparable to their non-organic …
- How To Make Your Own Eco-Friendly Laundry Soap
We all need to do our laundry, but if you’re the kind of person who likes to keep an eye …
- Get Rid of Bad Breath, Plaque, Tartar, and Harmful Bacteria In Your Mouth With This ONE Ingredient!
We all know how important dental health is—not just for the brightness of our smiles but for our general well-being. …
- Give Your Dog A Tbsp. Of This Golden Turmeric Paste To Relieve Inflammation And Prevent Cancer
Like humans, pets can also benefit from healing herbs and foods. In fact, there’s a whole branch of veterinarian science …
- 6 Natural Mosquito Repellents That Work
Few things can be as frustrating as listening to mosquitos when trying to drift off to sleep or being bitten …
- Topical Use of Cayenne Pepper Is Effective Against Skin Inflammation And Joint Pain
Approximately 7.5 million people in the United States suffer from psoriasis, an inflammatory disease of the immune system that mostly …
- Detoxify Your Body Immediately If You Notice Any Of These 9 Warning Signs
Why is it important to detoxify your body? Even if you eat healthy most of the time, you can’t avoid …
- Ginger Kills Two Common Types of Cancer – Study Finds
Thanks to research from the University of Michigan and nearly three centuries of medicinal use, we can now utilize ginger root …
- The Hidden RADIOACTIVE Element In Cigarettes The Tobacco Industry DOESN’T Want You To Know
Everyone’s heard about the dangers of smoking, but very few people understand the mechanisms that make it so dangerous. Sure, …
- How To Add More Nutrients To Any Soil To Grow The Most Nutritious Fruits And Veggies Possible
In times past, not a lot of thought was given to the food we eat. We’d go to the grocery …
- If You Notice This Plant Growing Nearby, Whatever You Do Don’t Touch It!
This is probably something that should be taught in school but isn’t. The plant is called “giant hogweed” and while …
- Watch This Superhero Melt Your Heart By Surprising This Kid With a Bionic Arm
Seven-year-old Alex had no idea what he was in for when he walked down the hall to Room 912. Who …
- Endocrine Disruptors Make You Fat, Sick And Tired…This Is How You Avoid Them!
When food comes into contact with certain plastics, these chemicals can leech into your meal and end up in your …