Cumin is a big part of Indian and Chinese cuisine. As with most spices used by these cultures, cumin is a powerful natural medicine.
According to Web MD, people take cumin for digestion problems including diarrhea, colic, bowel spasms, and gas. Cumin is also used to increase urine flow to relieve bloating (as a diuretic); to start menstruation; and to increase sexual desire (as an aphrodisiac) (1).
Here are ten more additional health benefits of cumin you might not be aware of:
Anemia is a condition in which you don’t have enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to your tissues (2). It’s often caused by iron deficiency.
Cumin is incredibly high in iron, in fact, 1 tablespoon is enough to supply 22% of your daily value of iron (3). Use it to season meat or vegetables or add it to soups and salad dressings for a kick of flavor.
Acid reflux can be an incredibly uncomfortable condition, but cumin can solve it it just a few minutes.
To use, simply place a pinch of cumin on your tongue and keep in your mouth for 2-3 minutes, then swallow it.
You can also combine cumin, coriander and raw sugar in equal amounts and take it with a glass of water every morning for chronic acid reflux.
Cumin can be used as a diabetes treatment to reduce FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar) and lower glucose levels in the blood and tissue lipids (4).
Diabetics can enjoy these benefits by adding a teaspoon of ground cumin in a glass of water and drink twice a day.
4. Liver Detox
The University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine suggests the use of cumin tea as a part of their “Detoxification to Promote Health Program” (5).
To make the tea , steep 1⁄2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds, 1⁄2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds and 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds in a cup of boiled water. Steep for 10 minutes and enjoy after each meal.
Constipation is quite common but can quickly develop in to a serious condition if left untreated. To relieve constipation and associated abdominal pain, try the following recipe:
- Mix equal amounts of cumin, black pepper, dry ginger and curry powder (1/4-1/2 teaspoon works well).
- In a small sauce pan, slowly melt one tablespoon of butter.
- Once melted, remove from heat and add spices and a pinch of salt.
- Serve over a cup of rice followed by 2 glasses of water an hour after the meal.
6. Cough and Colds
Cumin has anti-viral (6) properties, meaning that it can help fight off a cold or other viral infection.
If taken as a tea, it will help ease chest pain and loosen phlegm. It’s also high in vitamin C, which helps to boots the immune system and prevent future infection.
Just steep a 1/2 tablespoon of cumin seeds per cup of boiled water for around 10 minutes. If you’re suffering from a sore throat, add a few slices of ginger too.
To treat and prevent indigestion, grind equal parts of rock salt, black pepper, dried ginger and cumin.
Take a tablespoon in a large glass of water after meals. It will also help relieve post-meal flatulence and bloating.
In a recent study, cumin was found to help treat all symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), including diarrhea, fecal urgency and the presence of mucus in the stool (7).
All you need is to mix 5 grams of roasted, ground cumin to a glass of yogurt and take 2-3 times a day until symptoms are relieved.
Chronic vomiting can be easily controlled by ingesting a tablespoon of fine powder of roasted cumin mixed with honey after each meal.
If vomiting persists for 2-3 days, it’s important to go visit a doctor and try to stay hydrated.
Iron deficiency can lead to sleep disorders (8). Because of it’s high levels of the mineral, cumin seeds can help ensure a proper night’s sleep.
Simply combine 1/2 teaspoon of roasted cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon of honey and a mashed banana.
It’s always best to use organic whole cumin seeds and grind them with a mortar and pestle.
Whole seeds stay fresh for a year if stored in a cool, dark place, and can be roasted before use.
Cumin powder is more convenient but will only last about 6 months before it expires.
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …
- THIS Is What Happens To Your Face After Washing It With Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda and coconut oil face wash, can be very good for washing your face. Exfoliating your skin has become …
- Energy Saving Light Bulbs Are Poisonous To The Brain, Nervous System, Liver, Kidneys And Heart
There is a growing frenzy about the safety of energy saving light bulbs, which have grown increasingly popular. The US …