Salad is one of the most underrated meals.
Most people think that it’s quite boring, but this meal’s potential is only limited by your imagination.
Plus, there are so many wonderful varieties of lettuce to discover. Each has their own flavor, texture, color, and nutrients.
That’s why growing lettuce at home is a great way to improve your diet.
Growing Lettuce At Home
Here’s how you do it. All you need is a stump and a bit of water.
- Start with fresh lettuce. Chop up what you’ll be using for your salad, leaving a 1-2 inch stem at the base of the head.
- Place the stem vertically in a jar with an inch of water. It should stand with the base of the head in the water and the leaves pointing towards the ceiling.
- Let it sit in a sunny spot for 10-12 days. Refill with water as necessary.
- If you wish, harvest the freshly grown leaves for your next salad.
For a more bountiful harvest, place it in a small depression in the ground and bury the first inch of the stem. This way, the stem will get enough nutrients to grow a whole new head!
Put your new lettuce to use with these great ingredients :
- Raw nuts like, almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc.
- Seeds like, pumpkin and sunflower
- Diced apples, mandarins, pears, peaches, mango, etc.
- Sliced avocado
- Grated carrots
- Peeled onions
- Grilled zucchini, eggplant, squash, sweet potatoes
- Sliced cucumber, peppers, mushrooms, celery
- Nori strips
- Cooked quinoa, rice, buckwheat
- Chickpeas, black beans, lentils, kidney beans
- Steamed broccoli, cauliflower, beets
- Washed strawberries, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, etc
- Olives and tomatoes
- Grilled chicken breast strips
- Tuna, salmon, or other seafood
- Sliced hard-boiled eggs
Add as many of theses ingredients into your salad as you wish. Don’t be afraid to switch it up and try new combinations.
There you have it! Once you’ve mastering growing lettuce, try regrowing these vegetables too.
Watch How One Person Grew Lettuce in Their Home in New York!
- Use This Inexpensive DIY Hack To Keep Your Feet Warm Throughout The Winter
The cold always finds a way to your feet. Colds, cystitis, kidney problems are just few of the many problems you may face …
- 6 Disturbing Ways Pesticides Are Hurting Your Body
There’s no getting around it: pesticides are bad for you. They’re literally poison – toxins designed to kill pests and …
- How to Grow an UNLIMITED Supply of Basil From a Single Plant
Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to have fresh herbs and produce whenever you want? Gardening typically requires planting …
- Brilliant Invention by 15-Year-Old to Help Alzheimer’s Sufferers and Caregivers
Over five million people in the U.S. have Alzheimer’s. It is the sixth biggest killer disease. The victims of this …
- Chamomile Essential Oil Shown to Kill up to 93 Percent of Breast Cancer Cells, Study Finds
They’ve gained considerable notoriety in recent years for their myriad uses in both aromatherapy and integrative medicine. But did you …
- Listening To This Before Bed Will Make Your Brain Tingle And Guarantee a Good Night’s Sleep
One of the most relaxing memories of childhood is having your parents whisper soothing lullabies to ease you into sleep. …
- Put Cabbage Leaves Onto Your Chest And Legs Before Sleeping If You Experience Frequent Headaches
Sometimes the weirdest tricks have the best results. From honey wraps to onion socks, there are many time-tested strange remedies that …
- Have You Seen Anyone With a Semicolon Tattoo? (Project Raises Awareness About Mental Illness)
You may have seen one recently – a small tattoo on a friend or passer-by. They’re fairly innocuous, but they …
- 5 Natural Herbs That Support Healthy Thyroid Function
The thyroid gland is an often overlooked but extremely vital part of the human body, responsible for a number of …
- Look 10 Years Younger By Using Coconut Oil In These 5 Different Ways
There are gazillions of personal care products you can buy in a store. Aisles and aisles are dedicated to moisturizers, …
- 6 Plants that Will Help Keep Your House Naturally Cool
There’s something about house plants that makes a place homier. Bringing green into your home feels comforting, especially in winter …
- Why Your Feet And Hands Are ALWAYS Cold (And How to Fix It!)
Your body’s circulation system is responsible for sending blood, oxygen, and nutrients throughout your body. When blood flow to a …
- Chemical in Plastic is 100X More Toxic Than Initially Suspected?! (Here’s 7 Natural Ways to Detox)
The chemical bisphenol A – or BPA for short – is used in tens of thousands of consumer products, but …
- Burn Bay Leaves in the House and See What Happens After 10 Minutes!
If you’ve ever stepped inside a yoga studio or new age book shop, you may have noticed that these places …
- WATCH: Bacteria Invade Antibiotics And Transform Into Superbugs
This is very cool, very novel, very impressive, and fairly frightening. Over the past couple of decades, the medical community …