Salad is one of the most underrated meals.
Most people think that it’s quite boring, but this meal’s potential is only limited by your imagination.
Plus, there are so many wonderful varieties of lettuce to discover. Each has their own flavor, texture, color, and nutrients.
That’s why growing lettuce at home is a great way to improve your diet.
Growing Lettuce At Home
Here’s how you do it. All you need is a stump and a bit of water.
- Start with fresh lettuce. Chop up what you’ll be using for your salad, leaving a 1-2 inch stem at the base of the head.
- Place the stem vertically in a jar with an inch of water. It should stand with the base of the head in the water and the leaves pointing towards the ceiling.
- Let it sit in a sunny spot for 10-12 days. Refill with water as necessary.
- If you wish, harvest the freshly grown leaves for your next salad.
For a more bountiful harvest, place it in a small depression in the ground and bury the first inch of the stem. This way, the stem will get enough nutrients to grow a whole new head!
Put your new lettuce to use with these great ingredients :
- Raw nuts like, almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc.
- Seeds like, pumpkin and sunflower
- Diced apples, mandarins, pears, peaches, mango, etc.
- Sliced avocado
- Grated carrots
- Peeled onions
- Grilled zucchini, eggplant, squash, sweet potatoes
- Sliced cucumber, peppers, mushrooms, celery
- Nori strips
- Cooked quinoa, rice, buckwheat
- Chickpeas, black beans, lentils, kidney beans
- Steamed broccoli, cauliflower, beets
- Washed strawberries, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, etc
- Olives and tomatoes
- Grilled chicken breast strips
- Tuna, salmon, or other seafood
- Sliced hard-boiled eggs
Add as many of theses ingredients into your salad as you wish. Don’t be afraid to switch it up and try new combinations.
There you have it! Once you’ve mastering growing lettuce, try regrowing these vegetables too.
Watch How One Person Grew Lettuce in Their Home in New York!
- Turn a Small Space Into a Big Harvest With These Awesome Vertical Gardens
Whether you want to grow veggies, herbs or flowers, gardening can be very rewarding. However sometimes your love for plants …
- Sweden Bans Mandatory Vaccinations Over ‘Serious Health Concerns’
There’s no denying it: vaccines a controversial issue. On one hand, they have saved the lives of countless children and …
- Flu vs. Cold, and Why You Need to Know the Difference
Flu season is well underway, and if you haven’t contracted the flu yet this year, you should consider yourself lucky! …
- You Will Be Shocked by What Caused This Child’s Massive Tooth Decay!
For many families around the world, a trip to the dentist is a luxury they can’t afford. This has led …
- How to Reheat Food Without Ever Using a Microwave Again
Microwaves are convenient, but they aren’t necessarily better. Nevermind the fact that they make your food too moist and soggy, microwaves …
- Why You Shouldn’t Get Nutrition Advice From Your Doctor
Let me ask you this first; have you ever gone to your doctor as a result of any of the …
- Sitting All Day Isn’t Just Bad for The Body, It’s Also Killing Your Memory
It’s no secret that sedentary desk jobs contribute to decreased physical health, and now there’s an additional alarm being sounded. …
- Sorry, Pet Lovers, But It’s Time To Stop Sharing The Bed
It’s been long known and often clinically proven that having a pet is good for you, both mentally and physically. …
- How The Pharmaceutical Industry Is Partly Responsible For Creating “Superbugs”
While antibiotic drugs like penicillin have saved countless lives and eliminated most public health threats like syphilis, there is a …
- 4 Best Facial Exercises To Get Rid of Wrinkles, Eye Bags And Double-Chins
Face yoga is a real thing. Just like how working out your muscles helps keep your body slim, exercising the muscles …
- 50+ Unexpected Ways to Use This Miracle Oil (From Managing Diabetes to Baby Wipes)
(originally written by Chantelle Zakariasen) 1. Coconut Oil for Cooking Coconut oil is a great fat to cook with because it’s structure …
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You’re Having Trouble Remembering Things
Everyone has moments of forgetfulness – you misplace your keys, or forget where you put your phone – but these …
- Dove’s ‘Real’ Beauty Products Are Filled With Cancer-Causing Chemicals, Fake Dyes and Toxic Fragrance
In one sense the marketing gurus of Dove beauty and skin care products hit the nail on the head. They …
- 7 Cancer-Causing Products Hiding In Your Home
If you take the time to monitor what you eat and how much you exercise, it’s really important for you …
- Why Slacking off at Work is Great for your Health
Do you think your final words, when lying on your death bed will be at all like this; ‘I wish …