If you’re in your golden years, chances are you love spending time with your grandchildren. But did you ever stop and think that spending time with them is also good for your aging mind and body?
Past research from the Institute on Aging at Boston College has indicated that a healthy bond between grandparent and grandchild may lower the risk of depression for both parties (1). The study followed 340 children and 376 of their grandparents for nearly 20 years. The results indicated that the stronger the bond, the less likely grandparents were to suffer from depression.
Of course, there’s already a substantial body of research which indicates that social interaction can boost longevity and improve overall health (2).
But recently, another study has come forward to indicate the positive effects of babysitting for grandparents, and this time, the results are surprising.
Part-Time Babysitters Is Good, Not Full-Time
Researchers from the Women’s Healthy Aging Project in Australia carried out the study, which followed 186 postmenopausal Australian women who cared for their grandchildren on a regular basis.
Results showed that women who cared for their grandchildren once a week had a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and other neurodegenerative disorders. Conversely, grandmothers who spent five or more days per week caring for little ones were actually at an increased risk of developing cognition disorders (3).
As one of the first studies to examine the role of caring for grandchildren on grandparents’ cognitive abilities, additional research is needed to clarify the connection between the time spent caring for, and negative or positive effects. While it seems as though social interaction is good for seniors, it may be that too much responsibility to care for grandchildren puts a strain on grandparents.
A previous study, conducted by Case Western Reserve University, followed 240 grandmothers who cared for their grandchildren in different capacities. The results indicated that grandmothers who care for their grandchildren full-time need support to avoid depression (4).
10 Activities To Do With Your Grandchildren
The generation gap between grandparents and grandchildren doesn’t have to be an obstacle to spending quality time together, and having fun while you’re at it. The following activities are some of the easiest ways for you to have fun with your grandchildren:
- Play cards.
- Create a family tree using old photographs.
- Share your favorite pastime (e.g. woodworking, knitting) with your grandchild.
- Go camping right in your own backyard.
- Set up a pretend store in your basement.
- Coloring books
- Write letters to each other.
- Go for a walk outside and make a list of the birds, plants, and animals you see.
- Go to a nearby zoo or aquarium.
- Play dress-up.
What activities do you enjoy doing with your grandchildren? What keeps you young at heart?
- 7 Common Conditions That Cause Chronic Pain
Pain hurts. The good news is that it is a symptom, your body’s way of telling your brain that something …
- Previously Ignored Nutrient ‘Essential’ for Brain Development
The amino acid, asparagine, found in foods such as meat, eggs, and dairy products as well as some plant foods, …
- The Healing Coconut Lemon Pudding Anyone With Joint Pain Needs To Eat
Who knew that lemon pudding can actually help you manage arthritis? Joint pain is not only extremely painful, it is …
- Nation’s First Soda Tax Passes In Berkeley, California
Big Soda took a loss on Election Day when voters in Berkeley, California approved a ballot measure that will place …
- Moisturizing, Pain-Relieving Bath Melts Recipe With Coconut Oil And Magnesium
Most people love to throw a bath bomb in the tub and soak their worries away. There are numerous types …
- The Psychological Health Benefits of Dog Ownership
If you think about it objectively, it’s a weird idea to have an animal living in your home, walking around …
- Could a Tax on Fizzy Drinks & Junk Foods Be Good For Our Health?
Doctors in the UK have announced they feel increasing tax on junk foods and fizzy drinks will help sway people …
- They Said Apple Cider Vinegar Is Great For You, BUT This Is What They Didn’t Tell You
Apple cider vinegar is a must have ingredient in your kitchen and medicine cabinet. And while many health publications praise its …
- Some Guy Posted His Hospital Bill Online. You’ll See Why Everyone’s Talking About It.
In a Reddit post gone viral, a man explained that he went to the hospital for an appendicitis, and ended …
- 40 Different Studies that Confirm GMO Foods are Destroying Your Health
You would have to be living under a rock to have not at least heard of genetically modified (GMOs) produce. The …
- If This Doctor Was Diagnosed With Cancer, He Would IMMEDIATELY Do These 5 Things…
Conventional medicine uses chemo, surgery and radiation to treat cancer. Unfortunately, it doesn’t try to understand the underlying cause of …
- Medicinal Cannabis Is Slowly Replacing Several Prescription Medications
Since cannabis was legalized for medicinal and recreational purposes in the US, there has been a significant drop in opioid …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- 5 Diseases Proven To Respond Better To Cannabis Than Prescription Drugs
The list of diseases and conditions that are effectively treated–and sometimes cured–by cannabis is ever growing. The stigma resulting from …
- 35 Reasons You Should Be Using Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil uses date back to ancient Greece and beyond. In fact, according to the New World Encyclopedia, peppermint is …