If you’re in your golden years, chances are you love spending time with your grandchildren. But did you ever stop and think that spending time with them is also good for your aging mind and body?
Past research from the Institute on Aging at Boston College has indicated that a healthy bond between grandparent and grandchild may lower the risk of depression for both parties (1). The study followed 340 children and 376 of their grandparents for nearly 20 years. The results indicated that the stronger the bond, the less likely grandparents were to suffer from depression.
Of course, there’s already a substantial body of research which indicates that social interaction can boost longevity and improve overall health (2).
But recently, another study has come forward to indicate the positive effects of babysitting for grandparents, and this time, the results are surprising.
Part-Time Babysitters Is Good, Not Full-Time
Researchers from the Women’s Healthy Aging Project in Australia carried out the study, which followed 186 postmenopausal Australian women who cared for their grandchildren on a regular basis.
Results showed that women who cared for their grandchildren once a week had a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and other neurodegenerative disorders. Conversely, grandmothers who spent five or more days per week caring for little ones were actually at an increased risk of developing cognition disorders (3).
As one of the first studies to examine the role of caring for grandchildren on grandparents’ cognitive abilities, additional research is needed to clarify the connection between the time spent caring for, and negative or positive effects. While it seems as though social interaction is good for seniors, it may be that too much responsibility to care for grandchildren puts a strain on grandparents.
A previous study, conducted by Case Western Reserve University, followed 240 grandmothers who cared for their grandchildren in different capacities. The results indicated that grandmothers who care for their grandchildren full-time need support to avoid depression (4).
10 Activities To Do With Your Grandchildren
The generation gap between grandparents and grandchildren doesn’t have to be an obstacle to spending quality time together, and having fun while you’re at it. The following activities are some of the easiest ways for you to have fun with your grandchildren:
- Play cards.
- Create a family tree using old photographs.
- Share your favorite pastime (e.g. woodworking, knitting) with your grandchild.
- Go camping right in your own backyard.
- Set up a pretend store in your basement.
- Coloring books
- Write letters to each other.
- Go for a walk outside and make a list of the birds, plants, and animals you see.
- Go to a nearby zoo or aquarium.
- Play dress-up.
What activities do you enjoy doing with your grandchildren? What keeps you young at heart?
- 3-Ingredient Shots For Accelerated Weight Loss, Faster Metabolism & Better Digestion
Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but healthy eating goes way beyond a balanced meal. If …
- How to Make Your Own Natural Sunscreen Using Coconut Oil
Store bought sunscreens can have some harmful side effects and many people today are choosing to go a healthier, more …
- 5 Easy Steps To Detox, Heal And Rejuvenate Your Liver
The liver isn’t something that people think about when they’re healthy. However, as you age, it becomes increasingly critical that you …
- Stop Using Store-Bought Antiperspirants! They Make You SMELL Worse in The Long-Run?!
Sometimes, in attempting to “cure” a problem, the methods you use can result in a worsening of the problem you’re …
- How To Kill Fungus FAST With Coconut Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar and Green Tea
Fungal infection can be unpleasant and downright embarrassing. Fungi live in moist environments around your home, pool, gym and backyard. …
- 6 Most Common Symptoms of Liver Toxicity
After your skin, your liver is the second largest organ in your body. Often overlooked, your liver performs a variety of …
- We Will All Be Sleeping 30 Minutes Less a Week by 2050 as Global Warming Takes Hold
Current predictions say that temperatures across the Northern Hemisphere will increase by 2C (two degrees Celsius) in the next 30 …
- 4 Telltale Signs Your Body is Flooded With Toxins And How To Fix It!
Nobody likes to think of their body as a poisonous wasteland—nor endure the accompanying symptoms. Read on to discover four …
- How To Use Cloves To Instantly Get Rid of Toothache And Relieve Pain Naturally
A toothache can indicate a more serious issue, but at least you can soothe the pain. The following home remedy …
- Say Goodbye To Ear Infection! Here’s How to Cure An Ear Infection Naturally in Just 1 Day!
Ear infections are one of the most common ailment children and adults suffer chronically. This is especially true for people …
- Popular Over-The-Counter Pills Used For Colds, Allergies And Pain Relief Linked to Dementia
We assume that over-the-counter meds for common ailments such as allergies and sleeplessness are safe. The most popular brands of these …
- Why You Should Use Essential Oils Instead of Antibiotics
All too often when you go to the doctor with an illness such as a cold or the flu or …
- Top 5 Weight Loss Drinks You Need To Try
Thinking about losing a few extra pounds? The only true way to shed off unwanted weight is with a strict …
- He Burns Coffee Grounds in His Backyard. The Reason? Genius!
Summer is one of the most wonderful times of the year. It would be even better if it weren’t for all …
- Turn a Small Space Into a Big Harvest With These Awesome Vertical Gardens
Whether you want to grow veggies, herbs or flowers, gardening can be very rewarding. However sometimes your love for plants …