Google seems to be branching out lately – one of their recent projects is a wrist-worn device that could potentially detect and destroy cancer cells in the blood.
The corporation filed a patent with the World Intellectual Property Organization recently for a device with the name “Nanoparticle Phoresis”.
The device is a watch-like contraption that can “automatically modify or destroy one or more targets in the blood that have an adverse health effect”, according to the patent application(1).
A Cancer-Detecting Watch For Earlier Diagnoses
Many cancers, such as pancreatic cancer, aren’t detected until after they have become difficult to treat.
Google’s hope for their new invention is for it to be an early warning system, monitoring the wearer’s biochemistry for changes via a swallowed pill and wrist-worn sensor.
The invention is still in the early stage, but Google developers think it could be ready for use in five years(2).
The project is being led by Andrew Conrad, a doctor of molecular biology whose accessible and affordable HIV test is now widely used around the world.
“What we are trying to do is change medicine from reactive and transactional to proactive and preventative,” he said in an interview with BBC(3).
“Nanoparticles… give you the ability to explore the body at a molecular and cellular level.”
The nanoparticles he’s referring to are tiny particles that would enter the blood stream and “report back” to the wrist device on levels of chemicals in the blood, as well as potentially enzymes, hormones and proteins as well.
Google’s Life Sciences Team
The project is an initiative of Google X, a new division of Google opened in 2014. Employing several renowned scientists, Google X is hoping to be a major innovator in terms of healthcare technology.
“Google X is one of the few places where the world’s best physicians and other scientists sit together in a cafeteria eating free food and figuring out how a smart contact lens should work,” Andrew Conrad told the Wall Street Journal(4). “I have a strong belief that this will be fruitful.”
More Than Just Hype
While the project may seem like it belongs in the realm of science fiction, many people are taking this patent application seriously.
Researchers on the project at Google X explained to Wired Magazine why they feel Google X is uniquely qualified to make this concept a reality:
“Academic institutions aren’t as good at making an actual product. Research has to leave the academic world and move into the industrial world, and most industrial world applications are focused on therapeutics rather than diagnostics – and certainly not diagnostics based on wearable sensors.”(5)
Google X, they believe, is one of the first wave of companies to take on such an innovative project.
Google Uses Fake Human Skin to Test Its Cancer-Detecting Nanoparticles
- How The Pharmaceutical Industry Is Partly Responsible For Creating “Superbugs”
While antibiotic drugs like penicillin have saved countless lives and eliminated most public health threats like syphilis, there is a …
- Popular Drugs Used To Treat Depression Can Clog Your Heart And Arteries
The brain is a delicate organ, one that can be damaged easily. Even the slightest trauma can alter or impair …
- Breakthrough Research Could Lead To Potential Treatment To Stop Diabetics From Going Blind
A new scientific breakthrough could eventually save diabetics from losing their eyesight. Diabetic retinopathy is a condition which causes blindness …
- Eating Healthy Keeps You Slim and Reduces Your Risk of Declining Memory By 24%, Study Finds
Many people start adopting healthier eating habits in order to slim down, but we rarely hear about people eating healthier …
- Sleeping Next To Your Mobile Device is a Terrible Idea And Here’s Why…
If you go to sleep with your cell phone near your bed, you’re not alone. More and more people are …
- Laser Technology Provides New Painless Way To Test Blood Sugar Levels Without Puncturing Your Skin
A new laser device designed to test blood sugar levels could revolutionize the lives of people with diabetes everywhere, researchers …
- Innovative Technology Allows Parkinson’s Patients To Write And Draw Without Shaking
For many people living with Parkinson’s disease, any task that requires motor skills can be a major barrier. This can …
- Solar Panel Farm Grows 17,000 Tons Of Food Without Soil, Pesticides, Fossil Fuels Or Groundwater
Farming is probably the world’s oldest profession and something that is obviously universal to every culture and race in the …
- Cancer Survivors Finally Have Proof That Chemo Brain Is Real. Here’s What Researchers Are Saying…
Many cancer survivors have spoken and written about the effects of what has been dubbed “chemo brain” – a spacey …
- The True History Of Chemotherapy & The Pharmaceutical Monopoly
Cancer isn’t just the disease of a generation, it’s been the disease of a century. While cancer charities have been …
- Just One Night of Sleep Loss Is Enough To Alter The Genes In Your Cells
Many of us think very little of messing with our sleep schedules. Students pull all-nighters when studying for (or celebrating …
- According To This Professor, Probiotics Could Eventually Be Used For Treating Seasonal Allergies
Allergy season is upon us again, sending many of us rushing to the drugstore for anti-histamines to deal with the …
- Researchers Are Close To Patenting a Natural Compound Found In Avocados For Treating Leukemia
Once shunned for being too high in fat, avocados have won over many people, including dieticians, in recent years. They’re …
- Prescription Drugs Used To Treat Diabetes Can Cause Severe Joint Pain, FDA Warns
The US Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning that a certain class of diabetes drugs may cause severe …
- Maple Syrup Extract Makes Disease-Causing Bacteria More Vulnerable To Antibiotics
Who doesn’t love maple syrup? It’s sweet and goes well with french toast or pancakes! But maple syrup is so much more …