Google seems to be branching out lately – one of their recent projects is a wrist-worn device that could potentially detect and destroy cancer cells in the blood.
The corporation filed a patent with the World Intellectual Property Organization recently for a device with the name “Nanoparticle Phoresis”.
The device is a watch-like contraption that can “automatically modify or destroy one or more targets in the blood that have an adverse health effect”, according to the patent application(1).
A Cancer-Detecting Watch For Earlier Diagnoses
Many cancers, such as pancreatic cancer, aren’t detected until after they have become difficult to treat.
Google’s hope for their new invention is for it to be an early warning system, monitoring the wearer’s biochemistry for changes via a swallowed pill and wrist-worn sensor.
The invention is still in the early stage, but Google developers think it could be ready for use in five years(2).
The project is being led by Andrew Conrad, a doctor of molecular biology whose accessible and affordable HIV test is now widely used around the world.
“What we are trying to do is change medicine from reactive and transactional to proactive and preventative,” he said in an interview with BBC(3).
“Nanoparticles… give you the ability to explore the body at a molecular and cellular level.”
The nanoparticles he’s referring to are tiny particles that would enter the blood stream and “report back” to the wrist device on levels of chemicals in the blood, as well as potentially enzymes, hormones and proteins as well.
Google’s Life Sciences Team
The project is an initiative of Google X, a new division of Google opened in 2014. Employing several renowned scientists, Google X is hoping to be a major innovator in terms of healthcare technology.
“Google X is one of the few places where the world’s best physicians and other scientists sit together in a cafeteria eating free food and figuring out how a smart contact lens should work,” Andrew Conrad told the Wall Street Journal(4). “I have a strong belief that this will be fruitful.”
More Than Just Hype
While the project may seem like it belongs in the realm of science fiction, many people are taking this patent application seriously.
Researchers on the project at Google X explained to Wired Magazine why they feel Google X is uniquely qualified to make this concept a reality:
“Academic institutions aren’t as good at making an actual product. Research has to leave the academic world and move into the industrial world, and most industrial world applications are focused on therapeutics rather than diagnostics – and certainly not diagnostics based on wearable sensors.”(5)
Google X, they believe, is one of the first wave of companies to take on such an innovative project.
Google Uses Fake Human Skin to Test Its Cancer-Detecting Nanoparticles
- This Father-Daughter Duo Wanted To Know How Music Affects Pain…They Were Not Disappointed!
Music can affect us in all kinds of ways – from soothing our moods and helping us get to sleep(1) …
- Cancer Survivors Finally Have Proof That Chemo Brain Is Real. Here’s What Researchers Are Saying…
Many cancer survivors have spoken and written about the effects of what has been dubbed “chemo brain” – a spacey …
- This Type of Bacteria Produces Toxins That Make You More Prone To Insulin Resistance, Study Finds
Over 350 million people are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes every year, with an estimated 9.3% of the population of …
- Starbucks Unveils Sugar-Loaded Frappucino With 400% The Daily Recommended Intake of Sugar
With huge coffee chain Starbucks unveiling six brand-new frappuccino flavors(1), even die-hard Starbucks haters are undoubtedly tempted to try some …
- Loneliness Can Be Just As Bad As Obesity And Heavy Smoking, Study Finds
Did you know that loneliness can be just as dangerous for your health as being overweight or smoking excessively? That …
- Biomarkers In Urine Test Help Doctors Detect Early Stage Pancreatic Cancer With Over 90% Accuracy
Of all the different forms of cancer, pancreatic cancer has one of the lowest five-year survival rates. This is in …
- Popular Drugs Used To Treat Depression Can Clog Your Heart And Arteries
The brain is a delicate organ, one that can be damaged easily. Even the slightest trauma can alter or impair …
- Here’s How Walking In Nature Can Help Prevent Depression
There’s strong evidence that exposure to nature can improve patients’ recovery time(1), and that short “micro-breaks” spent looking at images …
- 1,000-Year-Old Onion and Garlic Remedy Can Kill Modern Superbugs in Less Than 24 Hours
Researchers racing to find new ways of fighting antimicrobial resistance have uncovered an ancient secret to wiping out roughly 90 …
- Muscle Supplements Like Creatine or Androstenedione Increases Your Risk of Testicular Cancer
Supplements are all the rage these days! From vitamin supplements for normal people to multivitamins for pregnant mothers to protein …
- Hidden Toxins In Makeup And Consumer Products Pose Multiple Health Risks For Women
As more and more people become aware of possible toxins from pesticides and hormones in their food, “clean” eating – …
- What Happened To This Family After They Started Eating Organic For 2 Weeks Straight Is Amazing!
While numerous studies have been done on the subject of pesticides in food and their impact they can have on …
- Exposure to Herbicides and Insecticides Increase Your Risk of Developing Parkinson’s Disease
Pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides have all been linked to a wide range of health problems, which is why there is …
- 4 Easy Mouth Exercises That Can Help You Stop Snoring And Improve Sleep
Snoring may seem pretty harmless, but it can be a symptom of larger problems – most notably sleep apnea(1) – …
- 3 Surprising Foods That Help You Burn Fat (No. 2 Is Definitely Something You’ll Want To Try!)
Losing weight is something many people struggle with, but it doesn’t have to be a constant battle. By boosting your …