The benefits of essential oils are many, from relieving pain and killing germs to promoting relaxation.
Used in aromatherapy or applied topically, distilled plant oils can be used instead of pharmaceuticals to treat a variety of human conditions without side effects.
An often overlooked essential oil with many applications is geranium. This hardy plant with beautiful pink or red flowers does much more than beautify your front porch.
How To Use Geranium Essential Oil
Thanks to its delicate scent, geranium is sometimes used as a perfume or flavoring in food. But its smell isn’t the only thing worthy of note.
There are many varieties of geranium, but the variety commonly used for oil is Pelargonium graveolens. Geranium grown on the French island Réunion in the Indian Ocean produce what is known as geranium bourbon essential oil—this is considered of the highest quality among geranium oils.
In the arena of health and wellness, here are some benefits of geranium essential oil:
Geranium is known to relieve anxiety and depression, reduce feelings of stress, and promote calm (1). When absorbed through the skin (inhaled or applied topically), geranium has been found to lower blood pressure and support the immune system.
Geranium oil causes skin, muscle, and organ cells to contract. Applied topically (always with a carrier oil), geranium can improve the appearance of skin and muscle tone.
3. Antioxidant, Antibacterial, and Antifungal Properties
Active antibacterial agents in geranium include citronellol, geraniol, menthone, linalool, and gurjunene. When tested against common strains of bacteria, geranium oil has shown inhibitory effects even at very low concentrations (2).
A compromised immune system and diabetes can make wound-healing a very slow and painful process. Geranium oil’s antioxidant capacity effectively fights infection and promotes healing, even when recurrence is frequent (3). Geranium is also an effective fungicide (4).
4. Anti-inflammatory Agent
5. Antiviral Properties
A 2014 South African study found geranium extract to block even the HIV-1 virus by strengthening the immune system and blood cells to an repel invasion (6).
6. Promotes Blood Flow
Geranium stimulates blood circulation and the synthesis of melanin, the skin pigment that darkens when exposed to sunlight. Its antioxidants also tighten the skin and treats “liver spots”(7).
Geranium oil is a natural diuretic, which promotes toxin elimination body through increased urination. Try it in a fragrant and detoxifying bath.
9. Insect Repellent
Make Your Own Geranium Essential Oil
When making your own oil, keep in mind that oil made from bright green leaves will result in a lemony fragrance. Older leaves that have started to change color to yellow and brown will yield a rose-like perfume.
Here’s how to do it:
- Small glass jars or bottles with lids, sterilized (you may boil them in water for at least 5 minutes and allow to air dry upside down)
- Large glass jar with lid
- Mortar and pestle
- Geranium leaves
- Carrier oil (jojoba, coconut, avocado, castor, or whatever you like)
- Pinch off as many geranium leaves as you like—the more leaves, the more concentrated the essential oil.
- Wash thoroughly in cold water. Pat leaves with soft clean cloth or paper towel to dry.
- Place the clean leaves in the mortar and grind with the pestle until fine and pulpy. Allow to rest for 3 hours.
- Put ground leaves in the large jar and shake gently to level. Add enough carrier oil to just cover the leaves. Screw the lid on the jar and place in a cool, dry place. Allow to sit for two weeks.
- At the end of two weeks, open the jar and take a sniff of the oil. If you would like a stronger fragrance, you may crush and add more leaves and allow to rest for another week. If the scent is too strong, add a little more carrier oil.
- Line a strainer with cheesecloth and pour the oil through the strainer into the small sterile jars or bottles. Seal and store in a cool, dry place.
Notes on geranium oil:
- As studies with pregnant and nursing women are few, consult a naturopath or holistic health provider before using geranium oil.
- Geranium essential oil shouldn’t be applied directly to the skin without a carrier oil.
- Some people may be sensitive or allergic to geranium; if using topically, test the oil in a small spot on the inside of your elbow and leave for 24 hours to check for sensitivity.
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …
- THIS Is What Happens To Your Face After Washing It With Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda and coconut oil face wash, can be very good for washing your face. Exfoliating your skin has become …
- Energy Saving Light Bulbs Are Poisonous To The Brain, Nervous System, Liver, Kidneys And Heart
There is a growing frenzy about the safety of energy saving light bulbs, which have grown increasingly popular. The US …