In today’s toxic world, we absorb, inhale, and ingest chemicals and heavy metals on a daily basis. Bad bacteria and Candida ooze toxins as a part of their metabolism and as they die off. Bi-annual detoxes help to cleanse your body and remove these highly toxic substances, but what about the other 363 days out of the year when we accumulate toxins?
What if the food we include in our daily diet not only nourishes our bodies but binds to those toxins and helps cleanse our tissues? What if our nutrient dense diet became a daily detox? With the following foods, it can.
Pass the pond scum, please!
1. Chlorella and spirulina, two amazing superfoods, are actually pond scum that grow in fresh water. Chlorella is a round, single cell organism rich in chlorophyll that contains 20 vitamins and minerals and all of the essential amino acids.
2. Spirulina is a spiral, multi-celled organism that is also rich in chlorophyll, and it contains 18 vitamins and minerals, 8 amino acids, and omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Both of these superfoods are high in protein and antioxidants.
Both do a remarkable job of absorbing heavy metals and other toxins. They are so good at absorbing metals, it is vital to purchase your chlorella and spirulina from a trusted source to ensure you do not buy a product that has already absorbed heavy metals from the environment where it was grown.
Garlic is rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6, and manganese. It’s active ingredient, a sulfur compound, allicin, provides the primary healing aspects of garlic. Garlic prevents or reduces the severity of viruses like the common cold and the flu, lowers blood pressure, lowers LDL cholesterol, and is an antioxidant. It is also antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic.
Amazingly enough, it also binds heavy metals and helps us to detox. It’s best effects come from eating 3 or more cloves each day. Always wait 10 minutes or so after cutting or crushing garlic to cook it or eat it raw to allow the allicin to form.
Cilantro binds to heavy metals, pulling them from blood and body tissues, and eliminates them from the body. It is a strong antioxidant known to help with sleep, to reduce anxiety, and to lower blood sugar. What we call cilantro is actually coriander–the same plant from which we harvest coriander seeds. It is also known as Chinese parsley.
Wheatgrass contains calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin A, and vitamin C. It is a powerful detoxifier that neutralizes toxins with enzymes and cleanses the body of heavy metals and other toxic substances stored in tissues and organs. Like spirulina and chlorella, it is a wonderful source of chlorophyll.
Total Tonic Recipe
This tonic helps detoxify heavy metals and it offers a lot of other benefits too.
- 1 handful of garlic cloves
- 1 handful of chopped onions
- 1 handful of chopped ginger
- 1 handful of chopped horseradish
- 1/2 handful of chopped habanero peppers
- Raw apple cider vinegar
Throw in a blender and cover with an inch or two of organic raw apple cider vinegar. All ingredients should be organic, but don’t let that stop you from making this great formula. You can use the mash right away or wait two weeks and allow it to turn into a tincture.
- Study: Vegetarian Blood Is 8X More Effective at Killing Cancer Cells
Eating junk food may taste good but it leaves us feeling sluggish afterward. We walk through the aisles at the …
- 11 Amazing Uses for Onions You Never Knew About (From Insomnia to Preventing Cancer)
Onions–you either love ’em or you hate ’em. If you love ’em, you’re in luck: onions are part of the …
- 8 Herbal Cures You Can Grow In The Comfort of Your Home
Healthcare is expensive, and often times there are natural remedies you can grow at home that can save you big …
- Woman Loses 80 Pounds, Overcomes Acid Reflux and Other Conditions
(originally written by Antonia) Allyson Grabish-Paniccia is a proud woman, and for good reason. She once tipped the scales at …
- 10 Awesome Foods That Help Everything From Muscle Recovery to Cancer Prevention
Inflammation is a precursor to a wide range of health problems! According to health experts, inflammation is what triggers the …
- 5 Delicious Foods That Keep You Hydrated
Summer is here in the Northern Hemisphere! Everyone scampers outside for their favorite activities, ready for sun and fun. As …
- This Infographic Highlights The Main Health Benefit and Caloric Content of 11 Different Types of Nuts
Consuming 1.5 ounces of unseasoned nuts daily as part of a healthy diet may reduce the risk of heart disease. …
- Eating Processed Junk Food Makes You Fat and Lazy, Study Suggests
What you eat affects everything about you: energy level, mood, how you look, and overall health. If you pay attention, …
- A Little Girl’s School Project Shows Us What Happens When We Try To Grow Grocery Store Potatoes
A science project gone awry. A young girl named Elise was assigned a science project. Her grandmother suggested she grow …
- 5 Deadly Ingredients Found In Common Foods That Slowly Poison Your Brain
There’s no shortage of things that can damage your brain. Some chemicals commonly found in food can have a negative impact …
- Here’s Why You Need To Stop Using Soybean Oil (It’s Been Found To Be More Fattening Than Sugar!)
Soybean oil is contained in many foods that we consume regularly today – if you check the ingredient list of …
- 5 Health Lessons From the Paleo Diet
The Paleo Diet has been one of the most popular diets recently, with many individuals giving up grains, sugars, alcohol, …
- 27 Weird Shaped Fruits And Vegetables That Will Still Give You Plenty of Nutrients
Food comes in all shapes and sizes. But despite how they look, these weirdly-shaped fruits and vegetables still offer plenty …
- Eating at Home Vs. Eating Out. 4 Compelling Reasons To Cook Your Own Meals.
How many meals per week are you eating away from home? Over the last 40 years, more and more people …
- 7 Reasons to Add Dandelion Greens to Your Green Smoothie
Dandelion greens are a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients essential to your body’s health. Here are a few …