The simplicity of this recipe may not be as obvious as it is; making your own pasta can sound daunting, even to an experienced cook. But the hypnotic roll of the dough and dainty cutting of the discs is therapeutic and addictive. As we prepared the dish, Katie and I switched the tasks over to allow for an even spread of the magic.
This is a simple dish that’s enjoyable to make and eat. We discussed that the disks could have been larger and more substantial, to emulate the serve of a fancy restaurant. But that’s up to you. This is just another plant based recipe out of the Avocado Please test kitchen. Enjoy!
Beetroot Ravioli With Kale Pesto
Makes around 20 (serves 4)
For the pasta:
- 2 beetroots, peeled and sliced, then blitz to a fine mush using a hand blender
- 4 free range eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g pasta flour (Italian ‘00’ flour works best)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
For the kale pesto:
- 1 bunch of kale (de-stemmed)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 50g cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
First, make the pasta. Put the pasta flour into a bowl, and break the eggs into the centre. Gradually incorporate the olive oil, then start to bring the mixture together. Add the mushed beetroot to the flour mixture, including some of the juice. Bring the mixture together into a ball of dough, then wrap in clingfilm and chill whilst you make the pesto.
For the pesto, steam the kale for about 2 minutes, until a bright vibrant green. Put into a food processor, then add the cashew nuts, olive oil, garlic and some salt and pepper and blitz until a rough paste forms.
Roll the dough out onto a floured work surface until very thin, and you can almost see your fingers through it (around 1mm — seriously). Cut into round discs, approximately then put one teaspoon of the pesto in the middle of each disc, place another on top and seal the edges by pressing a fork around the edges.
Get a pan of salted water to a gentle boil, and slide the ravioli into the water with a spoon. They will only need about 3 minutes, as fresh pasta cooks very quickly. Don’t overcrowd the pan, as they might fall apart. Drain the pasta, and serve drizzled with olive oil, a good grinding of black pepper and the zest and juice of a lemon.
- 10 Easy Juicing Recipes For Cleansing The Body of Toxins
Modern unhealthy diets and polluted environment cause toxins to build up in our bodies, which is why a detoxification program …
- How to Make Fruit Roll-Ups at Home With REAL Fruit and Gelatin For Your Hair, Skin and Joints
Despite being advertised as containing “real fruit”, commercial fruit roll-ups contain in fact more hydrogenated oil and high-fructose corn syrup …
- Drink This Fat-Burning Ginger And Coconut Oil Smoothie to ACCELERATE Weight Loss
Whether it’s getting warmer or colder, it seems like each change in season wakes up a ravenous hunger. This can …
- 5 Antioxidant-Rich Blackberry Recipes
Blackberries are so much more than a dessert fruit staple. Not only are they able to help keep you looking …
- This Smoothie Is So Good You Won’t Believe It Has One of the Most Powerful Antioxidants In The World
Smoothies are the perfect meal supplement for people looking to lose weight while still getting essential nutrients in their diet. …
- 10-Minute Avocado Egg Salad With Turmeric, Black Pepper And Apple Cider Vinegar
Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually safe and healthy to eat eggs (yolks included!). They’re packed with protein and disease-fighting …
- Drink This Turmeric Juice For Its Anti-Inflammatory Properties (Just Blend All The Ingredients!)
Turmeric is a popular spice, particularly in India, where it is added to many dishes not only for it’s distinctive …
- Everyone’s Favorite Antioxidant Source: 6 Blueberry Recipes
Blueberry season is right around the corner, and that means that everyone’s favorite antioxidant source is back. With wild blueberries …
- 5 Nourishing Carrot Recipes. #3 Will Make You Drool.
Many parents try telling their children that the more carrots they eat – the better they will be able to …
- This Insanely Delicious Cauliflower Recipe Mixes 7 Powerful Spices To Supercharge Your Body
Ladies, gentlemen, and everyone else in the gender spectrum, I present to you: The Queen Of Cauliflower. Make it for …
- Grain-Free Flatbread Recipe: 10 Healthy Ways to Keep Bread In Your Diet
True celiac disease is relatively uncommon. It is an autoimmune condition in which your body simply cannot process the proteins …
- These Super Healthy Turmeric Coconut Cream Cups Are Easy To Make At Home!
If you’re looking for a way to get more superfoods into your diet. This recipe is going to be your …
- Anti-inflammatory Honey Turmeric Tonic Recipe And 17 Other Master Tonics
If you often find yourself tired or sick, it may be time to start integrating a master tonic or two …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- Simple Avocado Pudding That Can Balance Hormones, Boost Metabolism, And Fight Disease
When we think of pudding, we think of something sweet, creamy, and decadent. This recipe is all of that—except decadent. …