Drinking More Coffee To Sober Up
A recent study published in the Alimentary and Pharmacology and Therapeutics journal explored the correlation between coffee consumption and its effect on liver damage caused by alcohol. What researchers found:
“In eight studies, increasing coffee consumption by two cups per day was associated with a statistically significant reduction in the risk of cirrhosis.” (1)
The amount of daily coffee is key; one cup reduced risk by twenty-two percent, two cups by forty-three percent, three cups by fifty-seven percent, and four cups by sixty-five percent. (2)
That’s not to say you should drink four cups a day and buzz your way through life—but if you have an alcohol addiction, aside from seeking help to reduce or eliminate excess alcohol intake, drinking black coffee may offset the damage the alcohol can cause.
Other Benefits of Drinking More Coffee
Coffee’s complex composition includes antioxidants that prevent oxidative stress in the body and the breakdown of DNA strands. In point of fact, the polyphenols in coffee and their protective characteristics against a range of disease—including heart disease, cancer, and Type 2 diabetes—have led to coffee being called the number one source of antioxidants. (3) In addition, kahweol and cafestol are biochemicals in coffee shown to reduce the toxicity of certain carcinogens. (4)
While adding sugar and/or cream to coffee counters the impact to health, you can supplement coffee’s already-formidable immune system support by including with it ingredients that add flavor and additional nutrients.
Instead of cream and sugar or questionable coffee “creamer” to lighten your coffee, try coconut oil and honey. Or turn your afternoon coffee into a spicy smoothie of sorts with coconut milk, hemp protein, and savory spices. A mocha doesn’t have to be full of saturated fat and sugar—add raw cocoa powder instead for that rich chocolatey flavor.
Coffee Isn’t an All-In-One Solution
Drinking more coffee isn’t a caffeinated “get out of jail free card”; detrimental diet and lifestyle choices will wreak their havoc.
If you are at risk for cirrhosis, another cup or two of dark coffee can support your liver. As for the differences between caffeinated and decaffeinated coffees, there are some to note.
The decaffeination process uses chemicals to remove caffeine (decaffeinated does not mean caffeine-free—there is still a small amount left), which can take some of coffee’s antioxidants, too. Other benefits you get with unadulterated coffee that you don’t get with decaf:
- Improved mood, reaction time, memory, and mental function
- Increased metabolic rate and fat burning
- Enhanced athletic performance
- Reduced risk of mild depression and suicidal thoughts in women
- Much lower risk of liver cirrhosis or end-stage liver damage than decaf (5)
If you don’t tolerate caffeine well, however, a couple cups of decaf are better than no coffee at all.
There are other foods that are helpful for liver support and detoxification, such as avocado, turmeric, and garlic.
Don’t throw away the grounds!
Coffee grounds are rich in nitrogen and a welcome part of your compost pile, feeding bacteria to break down organic matter into rich soil. With nitrogen content at around two percent, coffee grounds are a viable substitute to animal manure as a soil enhancer. (6)
- Is GMO Butter Secretly Ruining Your Health?
(originally written by Vani Hari) Growing up, butter was an absolute staple in my household. We thankfully never got into the …
- Top 8 Disgusting Facts About Fast Food
What you know about fast food is probably bad enough. What you don’t know may be even worse. The realities …
- This is The Most Healing Salt in The World, It Can Treat Over 20 Diseases
Himalayan pink salt originates from Pakistan and has been used for centuries for its therapeutic and cosmetic uses. The mineral …
- When Life Gives You Lemons, Make 100 Home Remedies to Improve Your Health
The mighty lemon. Pretty, sour, strong, versatile, and a great benefit to humankind. From lemonade to piccata, we use it …
- 5 Antioxidant-Rich Blackberry Recipes
Blackberries are so much more than a dessert fruit staple. Not only are they able to help keep you looking …
- Inhabitants of This Village Live Up to 100+ Years and What They Eat Will Surprise You
A group of centenarians in a Chinese village seem to have stumbled upon a veritable fountain of youth in the …
- Grain-Free Flatbread Recipe: 10 Healthy Ways to Keep Bread In Your Diet
True celiac disease is relatively uncommon. It is an autoimmune condition in which your body simply cannot process the proteins …
- 9 Amazing “No-Bread” Sandwich Ideas That Will Make You Drool
In recent years, many people have sworn off bread due to gluten intolerance or weight gain. So what is it like …
- Eating Grapefruit Can Help Treat Diabetes And Keep Cholesterol in Check (Do NOT Eat It With Meds!)
Eating more grapefruit might be the best natural way to keep your kidneys healthy and free of dangerous cysts. Additionally, …
- Biotech Firms Sue Local Hawaii Government for Protecting Citizens and Environment from GMOs
Hawaii is its own rich ecosystem. By virtue of its geography, many unique plants make their homes there; the fertile …
- 7 Breakfast Foods You Should Avoid
Want to get off to a good start in the morning? Eating breakfast is always a fantastic way to get …
- How To Stop Sugar Cravings – 3 Simple Action Steps
People are starting to realize that sugar is not very good for you. Well, people have known for a long …
- The Microalgae That Delivers Nutrients To Your Cells Without Taxing Your Liver or Digestive System
Marine phytoplankton (also known as microalgae) are single-cell micro-organisms that live in natural bodies of water all over the world. …
- Boost Immunity With These Coconut Oil Recipes!
The health benefits of coconut oil are getting a lot of press these days in the natural health community. Coconut …
- How to Make Lavender Lemonade to Get Rid of Headaches and Anxiety
Got a headache that just won’t go away? Many people find that traditional over-the-counter pain relief medication is ineffective in …