There’s nothing quite like coming home to a clean, pleasant smelling home after a long day at work. While there are many ways to achieve a homey atmosphere, many of products commonly used to freshen up your home do quite the opposite.
Luckily, there are safer alternatives that can make your home smell wonderful without harming your family and pets. These alternatives serve as excellent non-toxic odor removal solutions.
Drop The Air Freshner
It’s shocking to see warning signs of the label of your favorite air freshner warning that inhaling large quantities can be dangerous or even fatal but this is far from an exaggeration. They claim to be the ultimate odor removal solution.
In fact, these products are entirely man-made and contain harmful substances. Some of the chemicals, like phylates (which helps the perfume linger longer) can cause serious allergic reactions and even trigger asthma attacks (1).
They also “fragrance” a cocktail of over 3,000 chemicals that’s also used in perfume, scented candles and personal hygiene products. Over 900 of chemicals are considered toxic and cause serious health problems like reproductive disorders and cancer.
1991 a study performed by the EPA found that these chemicals could cause “central nervous system disorders, dizziness, nausea, uncoordination, slurred speech, drowsiness, irritation to the mouth, throat, eyes, skin, lungs and GI tract, kidney damage headache, respiratory failure, ataxia, and fatigue, among other symptoms and illnesses” when inhaled (2).
Alternatives like scented candles aren’t much better. In fact, studies on the safety of scented candles uncovered that they actually often contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like formaldehyde (3,4).
This harmful chemical has serious health effects when heated by the flame of a candle and inhaled. These include serious damage to the respiratory tract, skin and eyes and increased risk of Leukemia, dementia, reproductive disorders, developmental problems (5,6,7). Fortunately, there is a way to make your home smell wonderful without harming your family and pets and this is a DIY odor removal solution.
How To Make Your Own Room Spray
This non-toxic alternative will have your home smelling great in no time!
- Essential oils of your choice (10-20 drops)
- 1 clean spray bottle (tinted glass is best)
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 500 ml distilled water
- A medium sized glass or stainless steel bowl
- A funnel
- Pour the baking soda and essential oil in your bowl and whisk together using a fork.
- Use the funnel to transfer to the mix to your spray bottle and fill to the top with water.
- Store in dark, cool place and shake it before use.
- Spray on furniture, linens or in the air to refresh your home.
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- The Real Truth: Antidepressants Actually Deplete These 3 Crucial Nutrients for the Brain
Antidepressants are one of the most prescribed medications out there. But how much do you know about the side effects …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …
- They Said Hydrogen Peroxide Was Great, But They Didn’t Tell You This
Hydrogen peroxide is perhaps best known for its ability to clean up wounds. But, as this article will attest to, …
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Fight Inflammation The Same Way as Cannabis (Via Cannabinoids)
Cannabinoids are powerful healing compounds found in cannabis that bind to cannabinoid receptors in the brain and gut (1). Other …