There’s nothing quite like coming home to a clean, pleasant smelling home after a long day at work. While there are many ways to achieve a homey atmosphere, many of products commonly used to freshen up your home do quite the opposite.
Luckily, there are safer alternatives that can make your home smell wonderful without harming your family and pets. These alternatives serve as excellent non-toxic odor removal solutions.
Drop The Air Freshner
It’s shocking to see warning signs of the label of your favorite air freshner warning that inhaling large quantities can be dangerous or even fatal but this is far from an exaggeration. They claim to be the ultimate odor removal solution.
In fact, these products are entirely man-made and contain harmful substances. Some of the chemicals, like phylates (which helps the perfume linger longer) can cause serious allergic reactions and even trigger asthma attacks (1).
They also “fragrance” a cocktail of over 3,000 chemicals that’s also used in perfume, scented candles and personal hygiene products. Over 900 of chemicals are considered toxic and cause serious health problems like reproductive disorders and cancer.
1991 a study performed by the EPA found that these chemicals could cause “central nervous system disorders, dizziness, nausea, uncoordination, slurred speech, drowsiness, irritation to the mouth, throat, eyes, skin, lungs and GI tract, kidney damage headache, respiratory failure, ataxia, and fatigue, among other symptoms and illnesses” when inhaled (2).
Alternatives like scented candles aren’t much better. In fact, studies on the safety of scented candles uncovered that they actually often contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like formaldehyde (3,4).
This harmful chemical has serious health effects when heated by the flame of a candle and inhaled. These include serious damage to the respiratory tract, skin and eyes and increased risk of Leukemia, dementia, reproductive disorders, developmental problems (5,6,7). Fortunately, there is a way to make your home smell wonderful without harming your family and pets and this is a DIY odor removal solution.
How To Make Your Own Room Spray
This non-toxic alternative will have your home smelling great in no time!
- Essential oils of your choice (10-20 drops)
- 1 clean spray bottle (tinted glass is best)
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 500 ml distilled water
- A medium sized glass or stainless steel bowl
- A funnel
- Pour the baking soda and essential oil in your bowl and whisk together using a fork.
- Use the funnel to transfer to the mix to your spray bottle and fill to the top with water.
- Store in dark, cool place and shake it before use.
- Spray on furniture, linens or in the air to refresh your home.
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …