There’s nothing quite like coming home to a clean, pleasant smelling home after a long day at work. While there are many ways to achieve a homey atmosphere, many of products commonly used to freshen up your home do quite the opposite.
Luckily, there are safer alternatives that can make your home smell wonderful without harming your family and pets. These alternatives serve as excellent non-toxic odor removal solutions.
Drop The Air Freshner
It’s shocking to see warning signs of the label of your favorite air freshner warning that inhaling large quantities can be dangerous or even fatal but this is far from an exaggeration. They claim to be the ultimate odor removal solution.
In fact, these products are entirely man-made and contain harmful substances. Some of the chemicals, like phylates (which helps the perfume linger longer) can cause serious allergic reactions and even trigger asthma attacks (1).
They also “fragrance” a cocktail of over 3,000 chemicals that’s also used in perfume, scented candles and personal hygiene products. Over 900 of chemicals are considered toxic and cause serious health problems like reproductive disorders and cancer.
1991 a study performed by the EPA found that these chemicals could cause “central nervous system disorders, dizziness, nausea, uncoordination, slurred speech, drowsiness, irritation to the mouth, throat, eyes, skin, lungs and GI tract, kidney damage headache, respiratory failure, ataxia, and fatigue, among other symptoms and illnesses” when inhaled (2).
Alternatives like scented candles aren’t much better. In fact, studies on the safety of scented candles uncovered that they actually often contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like formaldehyde (3,4).
This harmful chemical has serious health effects when heated by the flame of a candle and inhaled. These include serious damage to the respiratory tract, skin and eyes and increased risk of Leukemia, dementia, reproductive disorders, developmental problems (5,6,7). Fortunately, there is a way to make your home smell wonderful without harming your family and pets and this is a DIY odor removal solution.
How To Make Your Own Room Spray
This non-toxic alternative will have your home smelling great in no time!
- Essential oils of your choice (10-20 drops)
- 1 clean spray bottle (tinted glass is best)
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 500 ml distilled water
- A medium sized glass or stainless steel bowl
- A funnel
- Pour the baking soda and essential oil in your bowl and whisk together using a fork.
- Use the funnel to transfer to the mix to your spray bottle and fill to the top with water.
- Store in dark, cool place and shake it before use.
- Spray on furniture, linens or in the air to refresh your home.
- Warning! Toxic Chinese Rice Loaded With Plastic Is Flooding Grocery Store Shelves
Rice companies in China have been exposed for exporting plastic rice. This phenomenon began because of the ever-increasing demand for Wuchang rice, …
- 6 Unwanted Symptoms of Low Testosterone
Testosterone is one of the most important hormones for men. Testosterone levels help regulate everything from sex drive and mood …
- 5 Key Nutrients to Boost The Immune System
Our immune system does a remarkable job of defending us against disease-causing microorganisms. Unfortunately, sometimes it is overrun by too …
- 8 Proven Weight Loss Tips For Women: Watch The Pounds Melt Away
Women are naturally predisposed to have a higher BMI than men (1). This is because women need a certain amount …
- Carrots and Other Carotenoid-Rich Vegetables Boost Male Fertility
‘Carotenoids’ is the group name given to: alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, lutein and lycopene – all of which have been found …
- Make A Bee Waterer And Help Hydrate Our Pollinators
It’s no secret that bees are declining at an alarmingly fast rate, putting global food security at risk. These pollinators …
- 5 Unhealthy Habits That’s Aging You Faster (You Need to STOP Doing These!)
Aging today has taken on a whole new meaning than it did a hundred years ago. People worry less about …
- Controversial Stem Cell Therapy Restores Movement For Paralyzed Man
In the aftermath of a tragedy, Kristopher Boesen got lucky. In March 2016, shortly before his 21st birthday, Kris lost control …
- This Immunologist is a Strong Believer in “The Power of Dirt.” Why? Get Ready to be Mind Blown!
It’s time to put to rest the popular myth that disease is a factor primarily of chance, spurred on by …
- This Bug’s Bite Can Make You Temporarily Allergic to Red Meat
It’s a bizarre, circuitous story. The best kind. Several years ago, a researcher working on the development of cancer drug …
- Speed Up Your Metabolism with These 10 Proven Tips
#1 Maintain a Regular Eating Schedule If you are looking to stay healthy and lose weight it is best to …
- Reduce Bloating And Drop Water Weight In 7 Days With Jillian Michaels’ Detox Drink
Feeling bloated, tired or both? You’re not alone. Every day millions of Americans are exposed to environmental toxins. Whether it’s …
- Here’s What Doctors Won’t Tell You About Cancer Screenings
Once we get to a certain age, most adults do it because their doctors tell them it’s routine and the …
- 10 Unusual Ways To Boost Brain Power
Your brain is the control centre of your body. In order to keep your mind strong, you need to stretch …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …