There’s nothing quite like coming home to a clean, pleasant smelling home after a long day at work. While there are many ways to achieve a homey atmosphere, many of products commonly used to freshen up your home do quite the opposite.
Luckily, there are safer alternatives that can make your home smell wonderful without harming your family and pets. These alternatives serve as excellent non-toxic odor removal solutions.
Drop The Air Freshner
It’s shocking to see warning signs of the label of your favorite air freshner warning that inhaling large quantities can be dangerous or even fatal but this is far from an exaggeration. They claim to be the ultimate odor removal solution.
In fact, these products are entirely man-made and contain harmful substances. Some of the chemicals, like phylates (which helps the perfume linger longer) can cause serious allergic reactions and even trigger asthma attacks (1).
They also “fragrance” a cocktail of over 3,000 chemicals that’s also used in perfume, scented candles and personal hygiene products. Over 900 of chemicals are considered toxic and cause serious health problems like reproductive disorders and cancer.
1991 a study performed by the EPA found that these chemicals could cause “central nervous system disorders, dizziness, nausea, uncoordination, slurred speech, drowsiness, irritation to the mouth, throat, eyes, skin, lungs and GI tract, kidney damage headache, respiratory failure, ataxia, and fatigue, among other symptoms and illnesses” when inhaled (2).
Alternatives like scented candles aren’t much better. In fact, studies on the safety of scented candles uncovered that they actually often contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like formaldehyde (3,4).
This harmful chemical has serious health effects when heated by the flame of a candle and inhaled. These include serious damage to the respiratory tract, skin and eyes and increased risk of Leukemia, dementia, reproductive disorders, developmental problems (5,6,7). Fortunately, there is a way to make your home smell wonderful without harming your family and pets and this is a DIY odor removal solution.
How To Make Your Own Room Spray
This non-toxic alternative will have your home smelling great in no time!
- Essential oils of your choice (10-20 drops)
- 1 clean spray bottle (tinted glass is best)
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 500 ml distilled water
- A medium sized glass or stainless steel bowl
- A funnel
- Pour the baking soda and essential oil in your bowl and whisk together using a fork.
- Use the funnel to transfer to the mix to your spray bottle and fill to the top with water.
- Store in dark, cool place and shake it before use.
- Spray on furniture, linens or in the air to refresh your home.
- How Many Eggs a Day Can You Safely Eat?
The egg is a remarkable achievement of nature. It contains everything needed to make a chicken, and has long been …
- 9 Plants To Attract Positive Energy In Your Home And Office
Your home is your sanctuary, so why not attract more positive energy in your home? Being surrounded by nature can …
- No, They’re NOT Really Baby Carrots – Here’s What You Need To Know
Baby carrots don’t grow in nature. They’re actually a man-made product and were first introduced into the market in 1986 as a …
- See How Much Fat You Can Burn By Adding Prunes, Kefir And Oats To Your Morning Breakfast
Skipping out on your first meal of the day is never a good idea, unless you actually know what you’re doing. In …
- The Migraine-Relieving Hormone Nobody Ever Talks About
There are many factors that cause migraine headaches and people who regularly suffer from them know just how difficult they …
- This Is What Happens To Your Lungs When You Dry Laundry Indoors
There’s nothing better than the smell of clean linens dried on a clothesline. But in most areas, this delightful sensation …
- If You Notice a Dark Ring Around Your Neck, Go See Your Doctor Immediately! This Is What It Means
Obesity rates have been on the rise over the last decade. In fact, there are more and more cases of …
- 8 Ways Working The Night Shift Hurts Your Health. Here’s What You Can Do About It
The U.S. has become a country requiring workers, 24×7. We can shop for groceries at 2:00 a.m., we can speak with …
- How To Use Herbalized Oils In Your Nose To Detox And Flush Out Toxins From Your Brain
Have you ever heard about “Nasya?” It’s considered one the top healing techniques used in Ayurveda. Nasya is the nasal inhalation …
- 5 Easy Superfood Recipes That Will Make You Feel Like a Champion
What makes a food a “superfood”? Many scientists are critical of the term, saying it’s applied too often to foods …
- From Cellulite Scrub To Wasp Repellent: 10 Amazing Uses For Coffee Grounds You Never Knew Existed
If you drink coffee every day, then you probably go through a lot of coffee ground. While these little grounds might …
- What Happens If You Drink Water With Honey On An Empty Stomach!
Honey is often used to enhance the flavor of hot and cold beverages. It’s also used to increase the nutritional value …
- 3 Proven Ways To Use Intermittent Fasting To Help You Burn Fat
Intermittent fasting – the act of fasting for up to 24 hours at a time – has become particularly popular …
- Your Body is Killing Spontaneous Cancers As You Read This
It takes no more than 100 seconds for the body’s immune cells to identify and kill a cancer cell. Immune …
- 15 Reasons Why You NEED To Make Ginger Syrup And How To Use It Every Day (With Recipe!)
Ginger is probably one of the most widely used culinary spices in the world. It brings life to so many …