Have you read the labels of your synthetic air fresheners?
The ingredients in air fresheners can be toxic to your health and can be responsible for causing irregular heartbeats, headaches, depression, earaches, and diarrhea in babies.
All of these symptoms can be traced back to the phthalates that are found in most common air fresheners.
What Are Phthalates?
Phthalates are chemicals that are added to your air freshener in order to sustain the fragrance in the product for a longer period of time. Although you naturally want your air freshener to retain its pleasant scent for as long as possible, phthalates are considered highly toxic, particularly for children and babies.
Many air fresheners on the market contain phthalates even if they aren’t listed on the bottle. A recent study proved that some of these misleading brands were even marketed as “all-natural.” If you’re worried about the presence of phthalates in your home, choose one of the following options that include few or no phthalates.
Highest levels of phthalates:
- Walgreens Air Freshener Spray (removed from shelves)
- Walgreens Scented Bouquet Air Fresheners (removed from shelves)
- Walgreens Solid Air Fresheners (removed from shelves)
- Ozium Glycolized Air Sanitizer
Medium levels of phthalates:
- Air Wick Scented Oil
- Febreze NOTICEables Scented Oil
- Glade Air Infusions
- Glade PlugIn Scented Oil
- Oust Air Sanitizer Spray
Low levels or no phthalates detected:
- Citrus Magic
- Febreze Air Effects Air Refresher
- Lysol Brand II Disinfectant
- Oust Fan Liquid Refills
- Renuzit Subtle Effects
Phthalates have also been linked to an increase of diabetes and obesity in children who are exposed to the harmful chemical. Since phthalates are found in soft plastic, it is important to rid your home of other sources of phthalates in addition to synthetic air freshener.
The bad news is that phthalates are not the only dangerous chemical in your air freshener. For instance, most synthetic air fresheners are known to emit terpene. When this volatile compound encounters ozone, the combination of the two elements creates formaldehyde, which the International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies as a dangerous human carcinogen.
Another worrisome side effect is that air freshener can increase your risk of asthma by as much as 50%, according to a study by the European Community Respiratory Health Survey. Clearly, synthetic air fresheners simply pose too many threats to the health of your family, even if they don’t contain phthalates.
If you’re worried about your home smelling bad once you discontinue your use of synthetic air fresheners, incorporate the following strategies in order to create naturally fresh air within your home:
- Open your windows every day. Even in the winter, an open window can help to get the air in your home circulating.
- Use natural potpourri. Natural, organic potpourri can be left in a bowl or placed in sachets throughout your home in order to infuse your home with a pleasant, natural aroma.
- Leave boxes of baking soda open in the corners of different rooms. Baking soda can help minimize humidity and eradicate many unpleasant odors.
- Try one of these DIY air fresheners.
What are your recommendations for natural air freshening solutions? We’re looking forward to getting your advice in the comments!
- It’s Easy to Grow a Mint Plant – Here Are 15 Reasons Why You Should
Mint is one of those versatile herbs that lends its flavor to a huge variety of foods. Growing a mint …
- Prevent Cavities, Heal Gum Disease, and Whiten Teeth With This Natural Homemade Toothpaste
Many commercial personal care products are loaded with harmful ingredients, ranging from plastic beads to hormone disruptors. Artificial sweeteners are …
- It Tightens The Skin Better Than Botox: This 3 Ingredients Face Mask Will Make You Look 10 Years Younger
Your skin is a window to your physical and emotional health. If you’re having a bad day, your skin will …
- 100 Years of Fitness in Under Two Minutes…So, THAT’S What Exercising Looked Like Back Then!
It’s no small feat to sum up 100 years of fitness trends in under two minutes, but a recent video from …
- Osteoporosis Is Scurvy of the Bone, Not Calcium Deficiency
The go-to nutrient for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis has historically been calcium. Bone health requires calcium, magnesium, and …
- 21 Tips For A Healthy Pregnancy
Being pregnant with your first child is an incredibly magical and transformative experience. In reality, if you don’t know what …
- Do You Sleep With Your Mouth Open? Here’s What You Are Doing To Yourself!
Whether you do it on purpose or not, sleeping or napping with your mouth open is a bad idea. It’s …
- The Truth About what Really Causes Cellulite and How to Help Get Rid of it Forever
There’s nothing as discouraging slipping into your favorite dress, looking in the mirror, and seeing cellulite. Cellulite doesn’t discriminate and …
- 5 Proven Tips for Sleeping Better at Night
Most people don’t get enough sleep, which can lead to countless health issues ranging from difficulty concentrating and headaches to …
- Trucker Gets Off 25 Meds and Overcomes Cancer With Raw Food Diet!
Dave Conrardy is a former trucker who, not too long ago, was dying from cancer, heart disease, diabetes, kidney leakage, …
- Aspartame Is Linked To Leukemia And Lymphoma In Landmark Study On Humans
It’s time to play Kick the Can—of soda, that is. In a 22-year landmark study published in The American Journal …
- Homemade Makeup Remover Recipes – Toxins FREE
Looking for homemade makeup remover? “Why bother making your own make up remover creams and oils?” Simply put many of the …
- 7 Conditions that are Caused by Sleeping with Wet Hair
If you find yourself frequently sleeping with wet hair, you may think twice after reading this. You won’t magically wake …
- 7 Tips on How to Nap Like a Pro
Countless adults are short on sleep, and naps are a great way to make up for some of those lost …
- Bacteria Outbreak: Massive Recall of Frozen Food Products Sold at Trader Joe’s, Costco, And Walmart
358 products sold nationwide at Trader Joe’s, Costco, and Walmart have been recalled out of concern that they were potentially …