Have you read the labels of your synthetic air fresheners?
The ingredients in air fresheners can be toxic to your health and can be responsible for causing irregular heartbeats, headaches, depression, earaches, and diarrhea in babies.
All of these symptoms can be traced back to the phthalates that are found in most common air fresheners.
What Are Phthalates?
Phthalates are chemicals that are added to your air freshener in order to sustain the fragrance in the product for a longer period of time. Although you naturally want your air freshener to retain its pleasant scent for as long as possible, phthalates are considered highly toxic, particularly for children and babies.
Many air fresheners on the market contain phthalates even if they aren’t listed on the bottle. A recent study proved that some of these misleading brands were even marketed as “all-natural.” If you’re worried about the presence of phthalates in your home, choose one of the following options that include few or no phthalates.
Highest levels of phthalates:
- Walgreens Air Freshener Spray (removed from shelves)
- Walgreens Scented Bouquet Air Fresheners (removed from shelves)
- Walgreens Solid Air Fresheners (removed from shelves)
- Ozium Glycolized Air Sanitizer
Medium levels of phthalates:
- Air Wick Scented Oil
- Febreze NOTICEables Scented Oil
- Glade Air Infusions
- Glade PlugIn Scented Oil
- Oust Air Sanitizer Spray
Low levels or no phthalates detected:
- Citrus Magic
- Febreze Air Effects Air Refresher
- Lysol Brand II Disinfectant
- Oust Fan Liquid Refills
- Renuzit Subtle Effects
Phthalates have also been linked to an increase of diabetes and obesity in children who are exposed to the harmful chemical. Since phthalates are found in soft plastic, it is important to rid your home of other sources of phthalates in addition to synthetic air freshener.
The bad news is that phthalates are not the only dangerous chemical in your air freshener. For instance, most synthetic air fresheners are known to emit terpene. When this volatile compound encounters ozone, the combination of the two elements creates formaldehyde, which the International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies as a dangerous human carcinogen.
Another worrisome side effect is that air freshener can increase your risk of asthma by as much as 50%, according to a study by the European Community Respiratory Health Survey. Clearly, synthetic air fresheners simply pose too many threats to the health of your family, even if they don’t contain phthalates.
If you’re worried about your home smelling bad once you discontinue your use of synthetic air fresheners, incorporate the following strategies in order to create naturally fresh air within your home:
- Open your windows every day. Even in the winter, an open window can help to get the air in your home circulating.
- Use natural potpourri. Natural, organic potpourri can be left in a bowl or placed in sachets throughout your home in order to infuse your home with a pleasant, natural aroma.
- Leave boxes of baking soda open in the corners of different rooms. Baking soda can help minimize humidity and eradicate many unpleasant odors.
- Try one of these DIY air fresheners.
What are your recommendations for natural air freshening solutions? We’re looking forward to getting your advice in the comments!
- 6 Natural Alternatives to Over-The-Counter Painkillers (Ibuprofen)
When it comes to pain and over-the-counter painkillers, Ibuprofen often seems to be the GP’s go-to drug of choice; however …
- How to Spot Fake Olive Oil From a Mile Away!
We’ve known for years the benefits of the Mediterranean diet: cardiovascular health and regulation of blood sugar and cholesterol. A …
- Here’s Why Enameled Cast Iron Cookware Is The Best
What you cook your food in is as important as the food itself. Non-stick and aluminum cookware are known to …
- Why a Himalayan Salt Block Is One Of The Greatest Things You Could Own
If you’re into natural health, then you’ve probably swapped out your deadly table salt for healing Himalayan salt. Since you’re …
- Master List of Monsanto Owned “Food” Producers
What if you found out that your favorite brand isn’t as safe and family-friendly as its colorful branding makes it …
- This 30-Minute Yoga Session Before Bed Is Going To Help You Relax And Improve Your Sleep
Having trouble sleeping? You’re not alone. More than 40% of Americans report getting less than the recommended amount of sleep.(1) And as …
- Root Canals And Breast Cancer: The Hidden Link No One Told You About
Going to the dentist can be pretty stressful for some people, especially if they don’t practice proper oral hygiene. But …
- How to Make Your Own Air Freshener That Doesn’t Cause Cancer or Disrupt Your Hormones
There is nothing like the smell of fresh, clean spring air after a long, cold winter. Spring makes you want …
- Here’s Why You Should Leave A Coin In The Freezer Before Leaving The House
When preparing for a vacation, everybody has a list of things they check before leaving the house. Most people double …
- 7 Most Disgusting Ingredients Used to Make Vaccines
Parents have the right to understand what is being put into their child’s body. The production of vaccines uses many …
- It’s True: Irregular Periods Can Indicate Heath Problems
“My Friend”, “The Monthlies”, “That Time of the Month”, “The Curse”, and other less pleasant idioms for monthly menstruation refer …
- The Heart-Head Connection: Heart Disease and…Ears?
Whatever the size, shape, thickness, or color, most people have smooth earlobes. But have you ever met someone that has …
- 9 Simple Things You Can Do Right Now To De-Stress
We all experience and deal with stress in different ways, but there are some universal constants. Stress triggers hormones like …
- Everything You Need To Know About Delayed Drowning And What To Look Out For!
Swimming is one of the greatest pleasures of the warmer months. For children, a swimming pool can be the source …
- Coca-Cola Paid $1,000,000 to Make Sure You Don’t Know This
Coca-Cola’s sales have been steadily declining in recent years due to the public’s increased awareness of its most popular drink’s …