Our liver is one of the least discussed organs in the body and happens to also be one of the most important.
The liver is the center of our digestion and detoxification system, working in perfect harmony with the body to absorb essential nutrients and dispose of waste. It’s ability to remove toxic build up is what keeps our body humming.
However, our liver can only do so much. When excessive toxins are introduced into the body, the liver can quickly be overwhelmed, leaving remaining toxins that eventually turn into harmful diseases and in some cases even death (1).
Fortunately, there are an increasing number of easy techniques that aid the liver in the detoxification process, allowing it to do its job more efficiently.
The Liver and Detoxification
Our body disposes of toxins through four major organs; the liver, the kidneys, the intestinal tract and skin (2). The liver, in particular, is responsible for filtering blood that makes its way through the digestive tract.
Once the blood has been cleaned through the process, it is returned to the rest of the body, delivering nutrients to cells and organs. This process also affects how our body absorbs chemicals and drugs (3).
The substances introduced to the body (and eliminated by the liver) include the following (4):
- Processed Sugars
- Natural Sugars (such as those found in fruit)
- Chemicals found in processed food such as canned or packaged items
- Food Coloring
- Flavor Enhancers
- Air Pollution
Most of these toxins enter our body through oily or fatty substances or are breathed in from the environment around us. Those absorbed as water solubles are most often excreted from the body rather than held in.
How to Support Liver Detox
While our liver works hard for us, there are many factors that can play into lessening its ability to do its job. Blood pressure is a lesser known factor in the detoxification process, due to its ability to cause hepatic ischemia, meaning a lack of blood and oxygen sent to the liver. This can prevent the liver from detoxifying blood and can even damage liver cells in the long-run (5)
Another factor could be the presence of Cirrhosis or damage and scarring of the liver. This can be caused by infections, genetics, or excessive alcohol in the blood stream. When Cirrhosis is present it becomes difficult for the liver to properly function, and detoxification can also come to a halt (6).
Fortunately, there are many safe and all natural ways to detox. One such way is by increasing your consumption of beets. Beets are a high-antioxidant vegetables that are known for cleansing and detoxifying (7). Beets contain high amounts of betaine, which are used by the liver to eliminate toxins (8).
Beetox Cleansing Smoothie
To incorporate the detoxifying benefits of beets, try this easy detox recipe.
- One Cup of Water
- One Beet
- One Carrot
- One Apple
- Wash the beet, carrot, and apple and cut them into small pieces.
- Blend all of the ingredients together until you get a smooth liquid, if you find that you did not put enough water, keep adding until you have the right consistency.
Try to have the drink before your largest meal of the day (typically breakfast or lunch) for 3-5 days. Take a 10-day break before repeating the cycle.
- 5 Juices To STOP Drinking Immediately. They’re Loaded With Cancer-Causing Arsenic!
If you have children at home, then you know how juice can be a godsend in helping your children meet …
- How To Kill Fungus FAST With Coconut Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar and Green Tea
Fungal infection can be unpleasant and downright embarrassing. Fungi live in moist environments around your home, pool, gym and backyard. …
- 12 Acne Trigger Foods to Avoid (Plus, 10 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Your Pimples)
Acne is an uncomfortable embarrassment most of us seek to avoid. From birth into our 50’s, we can all suffer …
- 5 Alarming Ways Chronic Stress Is Destroying Your Brain And What You Can Do About It
Not all stress is bad for you. Some forms of stress serve to sharpen your focus and push you to …
- Classified Documents Reveal Monsanto Knew About Glyphosate Link to Cancer 35 Years Ago
Roundup is the most popular herbicide on the planet. It’s made by Monsanto, a multi-billion dollar corporation headquartered in St. …
- How To Grow An Endless Supply of Ginger Indoors Using Nothing But a Container!
Whether you have an upset stomach or a cold, drinking ginger tea can make all the difference. In fact, ginger has …
- 6 Ways You’re Causing Your Own Memory Loss
Memory loss is a common side effect of aging. Most of us know that we’re supposed to stay mentally active, …
- 40 Different Studies that Confirm GMO Foods are Destroying Your Health
You would have to be living under a rock to have not at least heard of genetically modified (GMOs) produce. The …
- Doctors Refused to Give This Woman a Smear Test. 15 Months Later, She Died From Cervical Cancer…
Could you imagine being denied a medical test you requested all due to your age? For poor Sorcha Glenn, this …
- 5 Signs You’re Holding Onto Negative Energy (And How To Let It Go)
Negative energy is like a poison that slowly but consistently steals your joy. If you’re surrounded by negative people at …
- How To Add More Nutrients To Any Soil To Grow The Most Nutritious Fruits And Veggies Possible
In times past, not a lot of thought was given to the food we eat. We’d go to the grocery …
- 6 Natural Mosquito Repellents That Work
Few things can be as frustrating as listening to mosquitos when trying to drift off to sleep or being bitten …
- How to Pick a Juicy, Delicious and Nutrient-Packed Watermelon Every Time
If summer had to be represented by one fruit, it would definitely be watermelon. Enjoyed on beaches, campgrounds, and porches …
- 4 Things You Absolutely Need to Know About E-Cigarettes. Don’t Buy Any Until You’ve Read This!
As part of a plan to regulate electronic (“e-”) cigarettes, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced a new …
- This Sea “Vegetable” Is Nutritious, Fast Growing And Tastes Just Like Bacon
It’s red, leafy, and vaguely resembles some kind of lettuce, but make no mistake – this patented new strain of …