The herbal medical community has recently announced studies of Soursop. This fruit is more effective for cancer treatment than the numerous chemopreventive drugs currently on the market. It is also natural and much safer.
Soursop is extremely beneficial in the fight against several forms of carcinoma. The top of the list includes lung, prostate breast, and colon cancer.
This fruit is indigenous to both South and Central America. Today while it may still be found growing wild, it is cultivated for its only slightly sweet taste as well as its powerful health benefits. One of its most common uses is to relieve nausea which is very handy for those undergoing cancer invasive treatments.
Is Soursop really a cancer fighting fruit? Scientists in the Department of Nutrition and Food Science at Wayne State University found the properties in this plant to effectively fight prostate cancer(1). Three specific components within Soursop notably inhibited the growth of the cells.
Sign up to get our free newsletter in your inbox daily.
The Cancer Pharmacology Division of the Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine conducted another study in conjunction with several other science divisions. The research used extracts from Soursop on leukemia cells(2). This time active properties from the plant not only inhibited growth in leukemia cells it prematurely initiated death in the cancer cells.
The Department of Pharmacology at the University of Malaya in Malaysia performed yet another trial in which extracts from Soursop leaves were effective against lung cancer(3). These properties stopped the cancer cells’ cycles and incited the cells’ natural programmed death function.
Additional Health Benefits
While more studies need to be done, there is already evidence that demonstrates the effectiveness of Soursop against many forms of cancer. The above mentioned studies and examples below are only a handful of trials in an extremely long and successful list.
Cancer is not the only reason to begin using Soursop. It offers numerous other health benefits as well. It can suppress inflammation in arthritic patients, which helps reduce pain.
Soursop has been successfully used to reduce fevers and as an anti-convulsive(4). The properties in the plant not only decreased the events of tonic seizures, but also improved the mortality rate of the subjects.
Soursop has been shown to reduce blood serum glucose levels in diabetic test subjects. The same dosage was duly noted to decrease triglycerides, low-density lipoprotein, and cholesterol serum levels in the same trials.
The characteristics found in Soursop help to protect the liver, reduce blood pressure, and can be used as an antimalarial prevention. It demonstrates anti-parasitic and may be used as a natural insecticide, larvicide, or molluscicide.
How To Eat Soursop
There are literally tons of recipes for Soursop from juices to treats. It may also be eaten simply as a fruit. The fruit should be cleaned and peeled.
If you decide to use it in a recipe, try placing it in a large bowl with a little water and hand expressing it. Mash the fruits into the water and strain the seeds and largest fibers for the juice. Below is an extremely simple recipe to try.
- 1/2 Cup of Organic Soursop Pulp
- 1 Cup Organic Milk (animal or plant)
- 2 Teaspoons of Honey
- 6 Ice Cubes or Large Chunks of Organic Fruit
- Slice the Soursop fruit in half.
- Remove all of the seeds. This is usually simplest with a small, sharp, paring knife. (Always remove the seeds and skin as these can cause low levels of toxicity.)
- Scoop the pulp out with a spoon. You may also try peeling the fruit by hand and juicing as above. Another suggestion after you peel the Soursop by hand and remove the seeds is place it into the blender as is with a bit of water and blend n medium for 1 minute.
- Once you have your pulp pour the milk into the blender and add honey. Toss in the ice cubes or chunks of fruit. Some people like to add a dash of cinnamon, sprinkle of nutmeg, and/or ½ teaspoon of vanilla as well.
- Place the lid on the blender and switch to high. Blend all of the ingredients for about 4 continuous minutes or until you have a smoothie like consistency.
- Look for Soursop fruit which is ripening to a pale yellow.
- The spines should have begun to soften.
- It should be a little soft when you gently squeeze it.