Doctors in the UK have announced they feel increasing tax on junk foods and fizzy drinks will help sway people from consuming them so much, and will have overall benefits to their health in doing so.
The suggestions have come about since the UK was labeled as one of the most obese nations in the world, with doctors feeling something drastic needs to be done to reduce the number of obese people. As approximately a quarter of adults are now classed as obese, as are a third of primary school leavers.
The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges has put forward many recommendations to try to get a handle on the obesity crisis in the UK. The AOMRC is made up of the whole of the medical professionals in the UK, which includes GP’s, surgeons, pediatricians to psychiatrists.
The AOMRC has mentioned that its doctors are seeing on a regular basis, the consequences of unhealthy diets and now needs to come together on this serious issue.
More recommendations from the AOMRC include:
- Banning advertising foods high in saturated fat, sugar and salt before 9pm
- Increasing taxes on sugary drinks to increase prices by at least 20%
- Reducing the amount of fast food outlets near schools and leisure centres
- A £100m budget for interventions such as weight-loss surgery
- No junk food or vending machines in hospitals, where all food must meet the same nutritional standards as in schools
- Food labels to include calorie information for children
But the recommendations have been met with criticism. As Terry Jones, from the Food and Drink Federation which is an industry regulatory body, said to BBC News when asked to comment on the report:
“(The report) seems to be a damp squib and to add little to an important debate”.
Terry Jones then went onto say,
“The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges has presented as its recommendations, a collection of unbalanced ideas apparently heavily influenced by single issue pressure groups.
FDF had hoped that today’s report would have looked seriously at how the food industry and the medical profession would have worked together to tackle obesity, and genuinely brought new insights to bear on how to empower healthier choices and change behaviour to deliver better long-term public health outcomes. This report fails to do that.”
To me, it doesn’t matter if the FDF regulatory body agrees with the recommendations or not, what matters really is doctors are trying to put a plan in motion to help tackle obesity. This is better than doing nothing and leaving the problem to get worse in my eyes. Perhaps, these recommendations end up going on and making a difference too?
- Cannabis Proves Effective In Treating Crohn’s Disease by Reducing Pain, Inflammation and Diarrhea
A new clinical study published in the journal Pharmacology and by the National Institute of Health has found that cannabis …
- Say Goodbye to Trans Fats
The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has recently announced the decision to ban trans fats. This ingredient which was once …
- How To Make A Homemade Eczema Cream
Ceara (the creator of this recipe) used this cream to help heal her entire families eczema – but this can …
- ￼4 Mistakes You’re Doing That’s Making Your Autoimmune Disorder Worse
Autoimmune disorders affect people in ever-increasing numbers – Grave’s Disease, MS, lupus, Celiac’s Disease – these diseases can be crippling, …
- How To Grow Your Own Pineapple At Home
Just like homemade meals always taste better than going out to the restaurant, growing your own food will always be …
- 5 Vitamins Every Woman Should Take To Avoid Serious Health Problems
We need vitamins for normal cell function, growth, and development. Unfortunately, our bodies do not typically make vitamins, so we …
- 12 Brands Of Bottled Water That Are Full Of Toxic Fluoride!
We have been brought up to believe that fluoride is not only good for us, but necessary. Dentists promote it …
- Yarrow Herb is Stronger Than DEET at Repelling Mosquitos (Here’s How You Can Make Your Own!)
Summer is a welcome change of season for most people, but it comes with some drawbacks – specifically, it’s bug …
- Hexavalent Chromium (Chromium-6) Was Just Found In 75% Of Drinking Water
Access to clean drinking water is a basic human right- or at least it should be. While there are many …
- This Is One of The Top Cancer Causing Foods
It’s hard to find a North American child who’s never tasted a hot dog. Countless schools and households rely on …
- 5 Things You Can Do Each Day That Will Help You Recover From Depression
I’m big on personal development (PD), and one of my favorite concepts is the Slight Edge Principle, because it helped …
- Research Suggests Childhood Cancer Linked to Highway Pollution
At the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research this past week, researchers presented data suggesting childhood health …
- Is Your Poop Normal? Here’s the Number 1 Reason to Check Your Number 2
Here’s the poop. What goes in must come out, one way or another. What your body doesn’t burn for energy …
- 5 Unexpected Habits That Give You Breast Cancer
There are lots of risk factors that play into whether or not you develop breast cancer – everything from your …
- 10 Insanely Easy DIY Face Scrubs
Nothing feels better for your face than an occasional deep cleansing. Leaves you feeling refreshed, healthy, and nourished. When you can …