Liver detoxifier – in a study of induced liver damage in rats, curcumin supplementation was found to increase the amount of glutathione (the “master antioxidant”) enzymes, significantly reducing free radical damage (3).
Regulates metabolism and weight management – turmeric changes fat cells from passive to active, which your body will burn easier for energy.
High blood pressure – the Journal of Hypertension reported that a curcumin supplement combined with regular aerobic exercise improved heart function and increased muscle stress tolerance (4).
Memory, brain function, and neurological disorders – the Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology published a study that showed turmeric to improve memory in patients with Alzheimer’s disease (5):
“Due to various effects of curcumin, such as decreased Beta-amyloid plaques, delayed degradation of neurons, metal-chelation, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and decreased microglia formation, the overall memory in patients with AD has improved.”
Lowers triglycerides – curcumin regulates low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol in the liver, blocks its absorption in the digestive system, and prevents oxidation in arterial linings, guarding against cardiovascular disease and hypertension (7).
So what are the ingredients to the wonderful coconut milk and turmeric solution?
If you don’t want to eat curry every day to get your dose of turmeric, drink this instead!
- 1/4 cup turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 cup coconut milk (hemp is a good alternative)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (virgin)
- 1/4 teaspoon (or more) turmeric paste
- Honey (raw, unpasteurized, and local if you can get it)
- To make the turmeric paste, place the turmeric, pepper, and water in a small saucepan and mix well over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is a thick paste.
- Allow the mixture to cool before using and store in the refrigerator.
- To make the milk, combine all ingredients except honey in a saucepan and cook on medium, stirring constantly until hot. Do not allow to boil.
- Add honey to taste and enjoy!