With an estimated one third of Americans over the age of 65 suffering from insomnia, researchers from Louisiana State University think they may have found the key to increasing the number of hours you sleep per night – tart cherry juice. The study they performed involved comparing the effects of tart cherry juice with a placebo, and by the end of the experiment the researchers discovered that the tart cherry juice increased the amount of time participants slept per night by almost 90 minutes, as compared to the placebo.
“The researchers found that those who drank the Montmorency tart cherry juice in the morning and at night were able to sleep more than an hour longer each night (averaging 84 minutes) compared to the placebo, and their sleep tended to be more efficient.”
100% Tart Cherry Juice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of tart cherry juice concentrate
- 7 ounces of water
- Pour 1 ounce of tart cherry juice into a glass
- Add the water and mix.
- Add a natural sweetener (honey is highly recommended)
How Does It Work?
Study coauthor Frank L. Greenway has some insight into how cherry juice can help you sleep longer. Montmorency cherries, used in tart cherry juice, are particularly good sources of the melatonin, a hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle, and amino acid tryptophan – an enzyme which enables tryptophan to work longer in your body by slowing it’s breakdown and reducing inflammation – which is found in the red pigment of the cherry’s skin.
Although the study was funded by the Cherry Marketing Institute, the group had no say in the study methods or outcome of the study. Greenway says he considers cherry juice to be a safe and natural alternative to pharmaceuticals and over-the-counter sleep aids, especially given the dangerous side effects those options can have. Sleeping pills, for example, are often associated with an increased risk of dangerous falls, which for elderly consumers can be particularly dangerous.
If cherry juice isn’t your preference, a recent Chinese study has discovered that kiwi fruit may have strikingly similar effects. Participants of the study who ate two kiwi fruits an hour before bed were able to increase their sleep time by 13%, and decrease mid-sleep waking periods by 29%, over a four-week period.
Alternatively, seaweed – a natural source of omega-3 DHA – was also the subject of a recent University of Oxford study, which proved that children who consumed the ocean vegetable got a full extra hour of sleep per night.
Consider these alternatives instead of over-the-counter melatonin tablets or prescription sleep aids the next time you have a restless night – they’re safer, more natural, and proven to be effective.
- 5 Vital Reasons to Shed That Excess Weight
If you have been struggling to muster up the motivation to lose that excess weight that has been lurking for …
- Top 10 Toxins Lurking In Your Home
Most of us like to think of our homes as safe places, but there are countless toxins lurking unsuspected in …
- 5 Ways To Increase Testosterone Naturally
Testosterone is a hormone essential for men’s health. You need it to maintain muscle mass, build lean mass, help improve …
- The New Cannabis Capsule Is So Powerful It Can Replace Any Pain Killer
Painkilling drugs, like many pharmaceuticals, have come under fire for their harmful side effects. Despite these well-documented effects, pharmaceuticals still …
- Beating Brain Tumors With a Scorpion Sting Paint
Brain surgery is perhaps the most delicate of intrusive surgical procedures. The brain, for the most part, all looks alike–unlike …
- This Simple DIY Foot Massage Will Do Wonders For Your Sleep Tonight!
The rise of technology may make life easier, but it’s also interfering with some of your important instincts and biological …
- This Hospital Prescribes Organic Fruit & Vegetables to Patients and The Results are Remarkable
What do you expect when you go to the doctor’s office and the doctor flips out his prescription pad? More …
- How To Naturally Improve Your Eyesight With These 16 Eye Exercises
Laser surgery and glasses aren’t the only ways to maintain your eyesight. Similar to how working out keeps your body fit, regular exercise …
- Mom Says This Diet Cured Her Son’s Autism
The incidence of autism spectrum disorders (ASD) has exploded in the United States from 1 in 5000 children in 1975 …
- Most Store-Bought Honey Is FAKE And Causes Inflammation! (5 Ways To Test The Purity of Your Honey)
Nobody likes to be deceived. Especially not when it comes to their health. Unfortunately, the reality is that millions of people are unknowingly …
- He Put 3 Sponges In The Refrigerator – When You See Why, You Will Do The Same Thing!
The fresher your food, the more nutrients it retains. This is a basic concept that everyone understands. So what can do …
- Get Rid of Bad Breath, Plaque, Tartar, and Harmful Bacteria In Your Mouth With This ONE Ingredient!
We all know how important dental health is—not just for the brightness of our smiles but for our general well-being. …
- Man Pours Hot Water Over a Store-Bought Apple. What Comes Off Will Disgust You
An apple away keeps the doctors away. Or does it? Not only are apples often GMO and can contain alarmingly …
- How To Kill Fungus FAST With Coconut Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar and Green Tea
Fungal infection can be unpleasant and downright embarrassing. Fungi live in moist environments around your home, pool, gym and backyard. …
- Antibacterial Soaps May Pose Health Risks, FDA Says; Should They Be Banned?
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has accelerated its review of the use of triclosan and triclocarban—two pesticides used in antibacterial products—due …