With an estimated one third of Americans over the age of 65 suffering from insomnia, researchers from Louisiana State University think they may have found the key to increasing the number of hours you sleep per night – tart cherry juice. The study they performed involved comparing the effects of tart cherry juice with a placebo, and by the end of the experiment the researchers discovered that the tart cherry juice increased the amount of time participants slept per night by almost 90 minutes, as compared to the placebo.
“The researchers found that those who drank the Montmorency tart cherry juice in the morning and at night were able to sleep more than an hour longer each night (averaging 84 minutes) compared to the placebo, and their sleep tended to be more efficient.”
100% Tart Cherry Juice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of tart cherry juice concentrate
- 7 ounces of water
- Pour 1 ounce of tart cherry juice into a glass
- Add the water and mix.
- Add a natural sweetener (honey is highly recommended)
How Does It Work?
Study coauthor Frank L. Greenway has some insight into how cherry juice can help you sleep longer. Montmorency cherries, used in tart cherry juice, are particularly good sources of the melatonin, a hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle, and amino acid tryptophan – an enzyme which enables tryptophan to work longer in your body by slowing it’s breakdown and reducing inflammation – which is found in the red pigment of the cherry’s skin.
Although the study was funded by the Cherry Marketing Institute, the group had no say in the study methods or outcome of the study. Greenway says he considers cherry juice to be a safe and natural alternative to pharmaceuticals and over-the-counter sleep aids, especially given the dangerous side effects those options can have. Sleeping pills, for example, are often associated with an increased risk of dangerous falls, which for elderly consumers can be particularly dangerous.
If cherry juice isn’t your preference, a recent Chinese study has discovered that kiwi fruit may have strikingly similar effects. Participants of the study who ate two kiwi fruits an hour before bed were able to increase their sleep time by 13%, and decrease mid-sleep waking periods by 29%, over a four-week period.
Alternatively, seaweed – a natural source of omega-3 DHA – was also the subject of a recent University of Oxford study, which proved that children who consumed the ocean vegetable got a full extra hour of sleep per night.
Consider these alternatives instead of over-the-counter melatonin tablets or prescription sleep aids the next time you have a restless night – they’re safer, more natural, and proven to be effective.
- WARNING : This Household Plant Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 Minutes!
Houseplants not only make your home lovely and lush but they also improve the air quality around you. However, most plant …
- Eat Two Kiwi Fruits an Hour Before Bedtime And Get an Extra Hour of Sleep, Study Finds
Studies have shown that one in three adults suffers from insomnia or symptoms of insomnia, meaning that one in three …
- Big Pharma Is Synthesizing Cannabis To Make A Patent-able Pill And It’s Killing People
Cannabis is conjuring up a storm in the world of natural medicine. That’s because cannabis contains healthy compounds called endocannabinoids. …
- This Type of Butter Causes Acne, Breast and Prostate Cancers
Butter is back in our good books. A flurry of recent studies has targeted the common belief that butter contributes …
- How To Test For Low or High Stomach Acid In Seconds With Apple Cider Vinegar
If your stomach is producing too much acid, often you’ll experience symptoms. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or “acid reflux”) is …
- Your Depression Is NOT Caused By Chemical Imbalance. And Yes, There’s Way a To FIGHT It!
1 in 10 Americans currently takes antidepressants. In middle-aged women, this number goes up to 1 in 4 (1). These …
- 12 Minutes A Day Is All You Need To Save Yourself From Loneliness
Every one feels a little lonely once in a while (loneliness). Some people even seek out time alone (solitude). But …
- How To Make Sure Your Extra Virgin Olive Oil Is the Real Deal
Olive oil has long been a much-loved and much-used ingredient in European cuisine. In the last decade, it’s also gained …
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS): Hard Cold Facts about this Fatal Disease
Recently, all over Facebook and other social media, you have probably seen friends and celebrities alike dumping a bucket of …
- Johnson and Johnson: Cancer Causing Ingredients Present in Baby Products
Johnson and Johnson is well-known for their family products. They have recently faced lawsuits and public outrage over their baby products. Moms …
- States With Medical Marijuana Have Fewer Painkiller Overdose Deaths
We’re finally on the right track. At least the statistics indicate so. For decades, marijuana has been illegal for growth, …
- Listening To This Before Bed Will Make Your Brain Tingle And Guarantee a Good Night’s Sleep
One of the most relaxing memories of childhood is having your parents whisper soothing lullabies to ease you into sleep. …
- 5 Tips On How To Prevent Workplace Stress From Aging You Faster
Chronic stress is bad for you – by now, this shouldn’t be a surprising statement. Chronic stress is linked to …
- This New Device is a Dream Come True for Those Who Dread Needles
The end might well be in sight for difficult venipunctures. Health Today, tells us about a new invention being trialled by …
- These US Politicians Support GMOs Yet Dine On Organic At Home
American politicians are known for being untruthful and having questionable morals. When it comes to food, politics can get pretty ugly. …