Dessert is like the punctuation to the perfect meal: during large family gatherings, it’s almost necessary. And while dessert isn’t meant to be eaten every day, it is a great way to get the macronutrients you need, including calories, fat, and protein.
Most recipes call for plenty of processed sugars, unhealthy oils, and shortcuts ingredients like cake mix or premade icing. However, it’s always possible to take beloved classics and give them a healthy twist, read on and find out how!
Butter Pecan Cheesecake
2 cups unbleached all -purpose flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup of refrigerated coconut oil or organic butter
3-6 Tbsp ice cold water
2 cups pecan halves and pieces
2 tablespoons coconut oil
16 ounces room temperature cream cheese
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown, coconut or date sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 14-ounce can chilled coconut cream
- To get the crust started, preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Spoon coconut oil into the mixture and cut the oil or butter with a fork until the mixture resembles sand.
- Add the cold water one spoonful at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together.
- Gently knead the dough, flour your counter and roll out the dough to be 1/8” thick.
- Press the crust into a greased pan with a removable bottom, cutting away any excess. Scraps can be rolled into a ball, covered in plastic wrap, and refrigerated for up to week.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- While the crust is baking, melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add pecans.
- Toast the nuts for about 7-8 minutes, tossing continuously.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the filling, beat cream cheese, sugars, and vanilla at medium speed using an electric mixer until the mixture is smooth.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the coconut cream until it forms soft peaks. For better flavor, add ¼ cup of powdered sugar and ½ tsp of vanilla extract to the cream before whipping. You can find a full recipe of how to do it here.
- Measure out 1 cup of whipped cream and set aside the rest.
- Fold the cup of whipped cream, one-third at a time, into the cream cheese mixture.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Spread the filling over the cooled crust and refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
- Garnish with remaining whipped cream if desired.
- Ginger Lemon Tea Recipe To Detox Your Body And Get Rid of Bloating
In today’s world, we face increasing amounts of chemicals than ever before. It’s present in our food, household products and even in the air (1). In addition …
- Why You Should Avoid THESE Vegetable Oils At All Cost!
Why do you think it’s important to avoid fried foods? You may guess that it has something to do with …
- These Unhealthy Food Cravings Are A Sign of Mineral Deficiencies
We’ve all experienced unhealthy food cravings at some point in our lives. Whether it’d be for some chocolate, salty chips …
- 8 Incredible Benefits Beetroots Can Offer You
Remember being told you eat your beetroot at the Sunday dinner table every time you went to have dinner at …
- 6 Little-Known Benefits of Eating Dark Chocolate
It’s a great feeling to learn that something that tastes so good, can actually be good for us too! When …
- Top 6 Probiotic Foods You Are Probably Not Eating
In the last few decades, there has been a lot of interest in probiotic supplements and foods, thanks to studies suggesting that …
- Her Family Stopped Eating Sugar for A Year, and This is What Happened
(Originally Written by Eve O. Schaub) Once upon a time, I was healthy; at least I thought I was. Sure, …
- Here’s The Surprising Reason Why Eating Bananas With Brown Spots Is Better
When it comes to produce, most people believe that the fresher, the better. Especially when it comes to bananas. Bananas …
- Store-Bought Rice is Filled With Arsenic…Here’s How to Remove as Much as Possible!
Everyone knows that arsenic is a dangerous poison. It’s considered one of the world’s most toxic elements. So, the last place …
- Easy And Delicious Apple Pancake Recipe
Available almost anywhere and relatively inexpensive, apples are an ideal fruit to bake with. Many pastry recipes feature apples – …
- 6 Ways to Eat Healthy While Traveling
Whether you’re travelling for business or you’re on a family vacation, sticking to your normal healthy routine can be really …
- This Fruit Tastes Just Like Chocolate Pudding And It’s Loaded With Vitamin C!
Just when you think you’ve heard it all, this chocolate tasting fruit comes along. Can life get any sweeter than …
- Eating Slower Really Does Lead to Weight Loss
When you’re a kid, you tend to believe pretty much everything your parents tell you. But once you move into …
- The Ultimate Guide to Cooking Root Vegetables. (You’d Have to Be Crazy to Skip This!)
Roots are some of the most nutrient-dense vegetables in the world. While each root contains its own set of health …
- Gluten-free Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting and Coconut Oil Doesn’t Lead to Bloating
With 1 in 133 people in the U.S. diagnosed with Celiac disease, 1 in 56 with related symptoms, and the …