Dessert is like the punctuation to the perfect meal: during large family gatherings, it’s almost necessary. And while dessert isn’t meant to be eaten every day, it is a great way to get the macronutrients you need, including calories, fat, and protein.
Most recipes call for plenty of processed sugars, unhealthy oils, and shortcuts ingredients like cake mix or premade icing. However, it’s always possible to take beloved classics and give them a healthy twist, read on and find out how!
Butter Pecan Cheesecake
2 cups unbleached all -purpose flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup of refrigerated coconut oil or organic butter
3-6 Tbsp ice cold water
2 cups pecan halves and pieces
2 tablespoons coconut oil
16 ounces room temperature cream cheese
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown, coconut or date sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 14-ounce can chilled coconut cream
- To get the crust started, preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Spoon coconut oil into the mixture and cut the oil or butter with a fork until the mixture resembles sand.
- Add the cold water one spoonful at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together.
- Gently knead the dough, flour your counter and roll out the dough to be 1/8” thick.
- Press the crust into a greased pan with a removable bottom, cutting away any excess. Scraps can be rolled into a ball, covered in plastic wrap, and refrigerated for up to week.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- While the crust is baking, melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add pecans.
- Toast the nuts for about 7-8 minutes, tossing continuously.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the filling, beat cream cheese, sugars, and vanilla at medium speed using an electric mixer until the mixture is smooth.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the coconut cream until it forms soft peaks. For better flavor, add ¼ cup of powdered sugar and ½ tsp of vanilla extract to the cream before whipping. You can find a full recipe of how to do it here.
- Measure out 1 cup of whipped cream and set aside the rest.
- Fold the cup of whipped cream, one-third at a time, into the cream cheese mixture.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Spread the filling over the cooled crust and refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
- Garnish with remaining whipped cream if desired.
- 12 Common Health Foods You Should Eat More Often
Here are 12 foods that, pound for pound, offer more benefits than most other foods on the planet. These foods …
- Eye-opening Infographic Reveals The Extensive Destruction Coca-Cola Unleashes On Internal Organs
The Coca-Cola logo is commonplace and well-established; the slanted white lettering on a red background is recognized by virtually everyone …
- Are Bananas As Bad For You As Cookies?
Have you ever noticed how some foods seem to fill you up for hours and others leave you feeling even …
- Scientists Reviewed 343 Studies to See if Organic Food is Better for You. Here’s What They Found.
Some people assert that “organic” foods are a marketing ploy–they cost more but there is no other difference between these …
- 10 Recipes That Prove Being Vegan Doesn’t Have to Suck
Vegans and vegetarians have to be more cautious in ensuring that they meet their daily nutritional needs. The same could …
- 9 Top Health Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds
If you’re in the mood for a chewy snack that doubles as a phenomenal health food, look no further than …
- Eating Saturated Fat Is Not The Problem, But Eating Trans Fats Is Another Story
In recent years, health experts and scientists have come to agree that saturated fat alone isn’t responsible for heart disease. …
- 5 Research-Proven Steps to Eating a Healthy Diet
With every new diet fad comes a new set of rules about how to maintain a healthy diet. Although some …
- Eating a Handful of Nuts Every Day Lowers Your Risk of Dying From Any Cause by 20%, Study Says
[mks_dropcap style=”square” size=”52″ bg_color=”#1e73be” txt_color=”#ffffff”]W[/mks_dropcap]ith the increasing number of people suffering from nut allergies, in recent years the humble nut …
- 9 Anti-Aging Foods Everyone Over 40 Should Eat
While we have yet to find the Fountain of Youth, we’ve discovered the best anti-aging foods to keep you looking …
- Food is Fuel But It’s Also Information For The Body
How many times have you heard someone say “food is fuel”, whether it’s your personal trainer, your doctor, or your …
- 6 Common Foods That Build Your Bones And Hydrate Your Skin
Wintertime can be very hard on your skin and hair. When indoor heating systems warm the dry winter air, you’re …
- 13 Reasons To Integrate Bee Pollen Into Your Diet
Bees are best known for their honey, especially life-saving Manuka honey. But other products, like bee pollen, propolis, and royal …
- Anti-Inflammatory Coconut and Sweet Potato Muffins with Ginger, Cinnamon and Maple Syrup
Baked goods sure (such as sweet potato muffins) are sweet, but have you ever taken a look at all the …
- This is The Easiest, Simplest Way to Make a Healthy Delicious Snack.
This snack idea came from a photo shoot, let me explain. Every photo shoot is catered whether it is in …