Dessert is like the punctuation to the perfect meal: during large family gatherings, it’s almost necessary. And while dessert isn’t meant to be eaten every day, it is a great way to get the macronutrients you need, including calories, fat, and protein.
Most recipes call for plenty of processed sugars, unhealthy oils, and shortcuts ingredients like cake mix or premade icing. However, it’s always possible to take beloved classics and give them a healthy twist, read on and find out how!
Butter Pecan Cheesecake
2 cups unbleached all -purpose flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup of refrigerated coconut oil or organic butter
3-6 Tbsp ice cold water
2 cups pecan halves and pieces
2 tablespoons coconut oil
16 ounces room temperature cream cheese
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown, coconut or date sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 14-ounce can chilled coconut cream
- To get the crust started, preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Spoon coconut oil into the mixture and cut the oil or butter with a fork until the mixture resembles sand.
- Add the cold water one spoonful at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together.
- Gently knead the dough, flour your counter and roll out the dough to be 1/8” thick.
- Press the crust into a greased pan with a removable bottom, cutting away any excess. Scraps can be rolled into a ball, covered in plastic wrap, and refrigerated for up to week.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- While the crust is baking, melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add pecans.
- Toast the nuts for about 7-8 minutes, tossing continuously.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the filling, beat cream cheese, sugars, and vanilla at medium speed using an electric mixer until the mixture is smooth.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the coconut cream until it forms soft peaks. For better flavor, add ¼ cup of powdered sugar and ½ tsp of vanilla extract to the cream before whipping. You can find a full recipe of how to do it here.
- Measure out 1 cup of whipped cream and set aside the rest.
- Fold the cup of whipped cream, one-third at a time, into the cream cheese mixture.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Spread the filling over the cooled crust and refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
- Garnish with remaining whipped cream if desired.
Want More Health? Then...
Sign up for our daily free update. We'll send you a copy of a free report on how to REVERSE 7 of the most dangerous diseases including cancer, heart disease, arthritis...and ELIMINATE pain naturally.