Butter is back in our good books.
A flurry of recent studies has targeted the common belief that butter contributes to high cholesterol, obesity, and heart disease.
What Science Is Saying
However, the crucial piece of information that most people are still missing about this health food is that there’s a huge difference between organic or grass-fed butter and plain old butter.
Most people opt for the non-organic version because it’s cheaper. But nutritionally speaking, non-organic butter may not have all the health benefits that researchers are toting.
The Difference Between Organic And Conventional Butter
The composition of any given block of butter actually depends on the diet and lifestyle of the cows that produced it. This can affect the nutritional quality of the dairy as well as its levels of harmful toxins and hormones (9).
In fact, since it has such a high fat content, conventional butter is one of the worst sources of bioaccumulative toxins in the Western diet.
The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that 35% of every adult’s dioxin intake comes from dairy products, with children getting an even higher percentage of dioxins from dairy (10).
Dioxins are a type of persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic pollutant, also known as a PBT. In this case, bioaccumulation refers to the biological process in which PBTs and other fat-soluble toxins and chemicals accumulate in organisms, adversely affecting animals higher up in the food chain.
Bioaccumulation can eventually cause reproductive and developmental problems, damage the immune system, hormone interference, and cancer. (11).
What Non-Organic Cows Eat
The problem all comes back to what cows are fed. Dairy cattle, which are used to produce products such as butter, milk, and cheese, are sometimes encouraged allowed to graze on crops treated with pesticides-if they’re lucky (12).
Most Dairy cattle live in extremely cramped quarters and are given processed cow feed fortified with nutrients such as protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and conjugated linoleic acid from genetically modified (GMO) canola (13).
With multiple studies investigating the health effects of GMOs, these multiple sources of dairy contamination are alarming at best.
What About Hormones?
Dairy cows don’t normally produce milk unless they’ve recently had a calf. In order to keep the dairy industry running, non-organic cows are given hormones to artificially trigger or prolong lactation.
Non-organic dairy products are known to contain many dangerous growth hormones, one of which is insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) (14).
Conventional butter may also contain higher levels of fat if the cow is fed an unbalanced and unnatural diet. Regular consumption of non-organic milk may, in fact, increase your chances of developing heart disease (17).
Not convinced to make the switch?
More Reasons to Organic Eat Grass Fed Butter
- It’s one of the best sources of vitamin K2, which has been shown to play a role in improving heart health (18, 19).
- It contains higher levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids (20).
- It’s chock-full of butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid that provides long-lasting energy, increases insulin sensitivity, improves memory and mental health and has anti-inflammatory properties (21,22,23,24).
- It’s loaded with other vitamins, minerals, raw fats, amino acids, and proteins, all of which are highly bioavailable.
- 10 Dead Simple Natural Pesticide Recipes. You Won’t Believe How Easy It Is To Make These!
Ever wonder what farmers did hundreds of years ago to fight off crop pests? Long before the invention of harmful …
- Solar Panel Farm Grows 17,000 Tons Of Food Without Soil, Pesticides, Fossil Fuels Or Groundwater
Farming is probably the world’s oldest profession and something that is obviously universal to every culture and race in the …
- Watch What Happens To Gray Hair When You Start Drinking Wheatgrass Everyday
Gray hair can make you look a lot older than you really are. Although there’s nothing wrong with having a …
- Warning: Never Go To Bed Wearing THIS On Your Wrist or You Could End Up In a Hospital For Surgery
A lot of women do this daily without a second thought. They wear their hair bands on their wrist. If nobody ever told you, …
- This Man Cut His Thumb And Was Bleeding Excessively Until He Used THIS Spice…Amazing!
Believe it or not, cayenne pepper can save your life. You may have heard about how science is attempting to …
- How To Grow Your Own Medicine Cabinet Indoors For Natural Antibiotics And Anti-Inflammatories
If your pantry is your medicine cabinet than your garden should be your pharmacy. Many people have never tended a …
- World’s Most Popular Multivitamin Is Useless And Contains Toxic Chemicals And Artificial Colors
“That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” While this may be true for …
- 4 Most Common Types of Coughs And The Plants That Can Naturally Treat Them
As air quality levels continue to degrade between environmental pollution, chemical pollution and geoengineering–lung disease, infections and illness continue to …
- Get SuperBetter: How a Game Can Add Years to Your Life
When Jane McGonigal suffered a severe concussion, she became more and more depressed as a result of not being able …
- DON’T Do This at The Grocery Store (Automatically Adds More Calories)
Have you ever shopped for food hungry? Many people think that shopping while hungry influences your food purchasing decisions. It’s …
- Vegan Diet – Flavor of the Month?
A few years ago most of us didn’t even know what a vegan was. But today, you probably know at least a …
- Use This Inexpensive DIY Hack To Keep Your Feet Warm Throughout The Winter
The cold always finds a way to your feet. Colds, cystitis, kidney problems are just few of the many problems you may face …
- Every Parent’s Worst Nightmare: How To Quickly Save Your Baby From Choking With This 3-Step Protocol
It’s every parent’s greatest fear to realize that your baby or toddler is choking and you don’t know what to do. This …
- Asthma Can Be Reduced By Increasing Vitamin D Levels And Consuming Ginger
Patients with chronic inflammatory diseases, such as asthma are typically vitamin D deficient and can benefit from both increases in …
- The Simple Eye Test To Tell If Your Adrenals Are Fatigued And What To Do IMMEDIATELY If They Are!
We are all faced with an incredible amount of pressure in our day to day life. Pressure to be the …