No matter how clean you keep your home, there’s no way to fully avoid getting the odd pest in your home.
And once they get in, it can be a nightmare to try to kick them out.
If you manage to get rid of them all, then you’ve probably dipped into some chemical extermination tool.
But you don’t have to expose your family to toxins to keep bugs out.
7 Natural Solutions For A Bug Free Home
Many of the tricks below will even freshen the scent of your home.
1. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint has such a strong scent that it’s intolerable to bugs. This is perfect for keeping bugs away. Spiders, in particular, hate the oil.
Use it by combining 8 drops of peppermint essential oil with a little water in a spray bottle. Spray the liquid in the corners of your house and around entry points in your home, such as doors and windows. To make an extra strong spray, add a few extra drops of peppermint oil or add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into the mix.
Use it by combining one part apple cider vinegar and two parts water in a spray bottle. Spray along baseboards and entry points.
3. Baking Soda
When baking soda is eaten by insects, it releases carbon dioxide bubbles that kill the bugs. It can also absorb moisture from their organisms.
Spray ant mounds with 2 cups of baking soda, wait 30 minutes and pour 1 cup of vinegar over it. You can also disperse baking soda in corners, cracks, and baseboards. Keep it there for a few days and vacuum it away.
4. Lavender, Rosemary & Eucalyptus
This combination can be used to fight off bed bugs as well as upholstery, linens, and carpets (4). Used the dried herbs in teabags under your pillow and mattress or add 5-10 drop of each essential oil in a small spray bottle with a few teaspoon of water.
5. Mint Leaves
Mint leaves, like peppermint oil, is perfect for repelling a variety of bugs. Simply crush a few dried leaves in the corners of each room as well as around your mattress and in your wardrobe to keep moths away. You can even use it against flies and mosquitoes (5).
6. Cayenne Pepper
If your house is infested with ants and other bugs, like roaches, or earwigs, sprinkle a little cayenne pepper near their entry points. don’t forget to line the baseboards of your bathroom, where lady bugs and silverfish love to nest (6).
7. Silica Gel
Diatomaceous earth also works, but it’s best to keep both of these solutions away from your pets.
- This 5-Minute Positive Energy Meditation Will Help You Attract The Life of Your Dreams
Do you practice a daily positive energy meditation? When life gets you down, there’s nothing better to set you back …
- 13 Early Warning Signs of Lupus You Need to Know (And What To Do The Moment You See Them)
For many, lupus seems almost like a dream they’ll never experience. To 1.5 million Americans, the disease is very real and …
- Shocking: Obesity Found to Spark 500,000 Cancer Cases Annually
It is an unfortunate truth that both the United States’ and the world’s populations are becoming fatter. It seems that …
- The Toxic Food Additive In Bread You Didn’t Know You Were Eating…And How To Avoid It
The use of Potassium Bromate in the bread making process is wide spread within the United States; however, it has …
- 4 Ways To Keep Your Thyroid Gland Healthy
Many people have questions when it comes to the purpose and function of the thyroid. This small gland can have …
- Annie’s Sells Out to GMO Giant General Mills. Here’s What You’re Not Being Told.
Health- and environmentally-conscious consumers look specifically for natural and organic foods at the grocery store. When we find something we …
- The Perfect Exercise To Fix Poor Body Posture
Parents and teachers always tell children to keep their back straight. How many times have you heard it yourself? Poor …
- 5 Warning Signs of Poor Blood Circulation In The Body
Your circulatory system doesn’t rest. It’s in action every second of your life but is paid little attention unless you …
- 4 Natural Ways to Protect Your Liver From Prescription Drug Damage
Your liver carries a great deal of responsibility in your body, most having to do with filtering the blood to …
- 8 Surprising Reasons Why Drinking Red Wine Can Actually Be Good For Your Overall Health
While too much of anything is inevitably bad for you, indulging in certain vices in moderation can actually have a …
- 6 Surprising Things Fed to US Cows!
For the most part, cattle in America are seen not as animals or living, breathing entities, but as commodities—products to …
- Stop Using Store-Bought Antiperspirants! They Make You SMELL Worse in The Long-Run?!
Sometimes, in attempting to “cure” a problem, the methods you use can result in a worsening of the problem you’re …
- 1 Lemon Peel Trick To Get Rid of Inflammation And Chronic Pain
Lemons are well-known for its health benefits. In fact, you’ve probably heard a lot about the advantages of drinking warm lemon water …
- Eliminate All Poisons From Your Body In 48 Hours: A Weekend Detoxification Diet Plan
Do you feel tired all of the time…and not just tired, but exhausted? When you look in the mirror do …
- Add 1 Tbsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar To Your Next Bath To Quickly Detox Your Body
Everyone enjoys a good bath after a long day’s work. It’s relaxing and helps relieve tension throughout the whole body. Taking …