Still think you can’t teach an old dog new tricks ?
Turns out your brain is much more adaptable than previously thought.
In fact, your brain has the ability to form new neural connections throughout your life. While it may be more active in building these connections when you’re young, the ability still remains in old age (1).
Neuroplasticity allows your body to compensate for injury and disease. It also allows your brain to readjust to new information, situations, and changes.
And while learning new skills is a great way to train your brain, visualization and meditation are also powerful tools.
The Low-Down On Brain Training
Mindfulness can be used to treat chronic pain and heal disease. That’s why it’s now being implemented in hospitals, medical clinics, schools, universities (including medical schools), corporations, and military organizations (3).
It can even be used to train drug addicts to recognize early warning signs for relapse, increase awareness of emotional and situational cues previously associated with substance use, develop effective coping skills, and enhance self-efficacy (4). It can also be used as part of therapy for people suffering from mental illness.
Mindfulness is also used alongside meditation.
Meditation builds up the left prefrontal cortex to increase happiness and well-being.
According to Gaiam: “Mindfulness meditation encourages the practitioner to observe wandering thoughts as they drift through the mind. The intention is not to get involved with the thoughts or to judge them, but simply to be aware of each mental note as it arises.”
“Through mindfulness meditation, you can see how your thoughts and feelings tend to move in particular patterns. Over time, you can become more aware of the human tendency to quickly judge an experience as good or bad, pleasant or unpleasant. With practice, an inner balance develops.” (5).
This type of meditation (6):
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Boosts the immune system
- Decreases emotional reactivity
- Improves concentration
- Strengthens confidence and resilience
- Promotes peace of mind and well-being
- Helps cope with pain and illness
- Lowers blood pressure
- Enhances willpower and decision-making
- Cultivates compassion for self and others
Curious about how it work? Check out the infographic below!
- Endocrine Disruptors Make You Fat, Sick And Tired…This Is How You Avoid Them!
When food comes into contact with certain plastics, these chemicals can leech into your meal and end up in your …
- 5 Unexpected Habits That Give You Breast Cancer
There are lots of risk factors that play into whether or not you develop breast cancer – everything from your …
- How To Make A Homemade Eczema Cream
Ceara (the creator of this recipe) used this cream to help heal her entire families eczema – but this can …
- This Immunologist is a Strong Believer in “The Power of Dirt.” Why? Get Ready to be Mind Blown!
It’s time to put to rest the popular myth that disease is a factor primarily of chance, spurred on by …
- Prevent Cavities, Heal Gum Disease, and Whiten Teeth With This Natural Homemade Toothpaste
Many commercial personal care products are loaded with harmful ingredients, ranging from plastic beads to hormone disruptors. Artificial sweeteners are …
- 6 Hidden Health Benefits of Sleeping On Your Left Side That You’ve NEVER Heard About
While technological advances have made our lives easier, it’s increasingly obvious that these conveniences are also making us increasingly unhealthy. …
- Why Homemade Sauerkraut Could Be Your Secret Weapon Against Fat, Cancer And Heart Disease
When it comes to probiotics, most people think of pills or yogurt, but there are many other foods that have …
- Marijuana Is Making Colorado So Much Money They Literally Have To Give Some Back To Residents
Colorado residents may be seeing the benefits of their state’s new marijuana laws in the form of financial support soon, …
- How Sleep Affects Your Health
While many of us with busy lifestyles may look at proper sleep as an afterthought, sleep is actually extremely important …
- When He Got Diagnosed With Stage 4 Cancer, His Son Suggested That He Try THIS and It Worked!
Could you use something as simple as baking powder or baking soda to treat cancer? One man, Vernon Johnston, used …
- You’ll Never Use Store-Bought Butter Again After You See How Easy It Is To Make It Yourself!
Butter is a staple in many homes across America. It’s a versatile food that’s easily used in a variety of …
- Victory! World’s Largest Spice Company To Go Organic And Non-GMO by 2016
Organic and non-GMO products have really taken over mainstream market trends. Last year, American spice giant McCormick announced that 80% …
- 3 Homemade Treatments For Dandruff and Thinning Hair
Dandruff or thinning hair can be an irritating and embarrassing situation for many people. The good news is self-treatment can …
- Axe Products Make Men Grow Breasts And Develop Cancers Of The Prostate And Liver
Until recently, we never really questioned what was in our personal care products. We naively assumed they were safe—after all, …
- Speed Up Your Metabolism with These 10 Proven Tips
#1 Maintain a Regular Eating Schedule If you are looking to stay healthy and lose weight it is best to …