Still think you can’t teach an old dog new tricks ?
Turns out your brain is much more adaptable than previously thought.
In fact, your brain has the ability to form new neural connections throughout your life. While it may be more active in building these connections when you’re young, the ability still remains in old age (1).
Neuroplasticity allows your body to compensate for injury and disease. It also allows your brain to readjust to new information, situations, and changes.
And while learning new skills is a great way to train your brain, visualization and meditation are also powerful tools.
The Low-Down On Brain Training
Mindfulness can be used to treat chronic pain and heal disease. That’s why it’s now being implemented in hospitals, medical clinics, schools, universities (including medical schools), corporations, and military organizations (3).
It can even be used to train drug addicts to recognize early warning signs for relapse, increase awareness of emotional and situational cues previously associated with substance use, develop effective coping skills, and enhance self-efficacy (4). It can also be used as part of therapy for people suffering from mental illness.
Mindfulness is also used alongside meditation.
Meditation builds up the left prefrontal cortex to increase happiness and well-being.
According to Gaiam: “Mindfulness meditation encourages the practitioner to observe wandering thoughts as they drift through the mind. The intention is not to get involved with the thoughts or to judge them, but simply to be aware of each mental note as it arises.”
“Through mindfulness meditation, you can see how your thoughts and feelings tend to move in particular patterns. Over time, you can become more aware of the human tendency to quickly judge an experience as good or bad, pleasant or unpleasant. With practice, an inner balance develops.” (5).
This type of meditation (6):
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Boosts the immune system
- Decreases emotional reactivity
- Improves concentration
- Strengthens confidence and resilience
- Promotes peace of mind and well-being
- Helps cope with pain and illness
- Lowers blood pressure
- Enhances willpower and decision-making
- Cultivates compassion for self and others
Curious about how it work? Check out the infographic below!
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …