Still think you can’t teach an old dog new tricks ?
Turns out your brain is much more adaptable than previously thought.
In fact, your brain has the ability to form new neural connections throughout your life. While it may be more active in building these connections when you’re young, the ability still remains in old age (1).
Neuroplasticity allows your body to compensate for injury and disease. It also allows your brain to readjust to new information, situations, and changes.
And while learning new skills is a great way to train your brain, visualization and meditation are also powerful tools.
The Low-Down On Brain Training
Mindfulness can be used to treat chronic pain and heal disease. That’s why it’s now being implemented in hospitals, medical clinics, schools, universities (including medical schools), corporations, and military organizations (3).
It can even be used to train drug addicts to recognize early warning signs for relapse, increase awareness of emotional and situational cues previously associated with substance use, develop effective coping skills, and enhance self-efficacy (4). It can also be used as part of therapy for people suffering from mental illness.
Mindfulness is also used alongside meditation.
Meditation builds up the left prefrontal cortex to increase happiness and well-being.
According to Gaiam: “Mindfulness meditation encourages the practitioner to observe wandering thoughts as they drift through the mind. The intention is not to get involved with the thoughts or to judge them, but simply to be aware of each mental note as it arises.”
“Through mindfulness meditation, you can see how your thoughts and feelings tend to move in particular patterns. Over time, you can become more aware of the human tendency to quickly judge an experience as good or bad, pleasant or unpleasant. With practice, an inner balance develops.” (5).
This type of meditation (6):
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Boosts the immune system
- Decreases emotional reactivity
- Improves concentration
- Strengthens confidence and resilience
- Promotes peace of mind and well-being
- Helps cope with pain and illness
- Lowers blood pressure
- Enhances willpower and decision-making
- Cultivates compassion for self and others
Curious about how it work? Check out the infographic below!
- Each Tooth Is Associated With An Organ In The Body – Pain In Each Tooth Can Predict Problems In Certain Organs
Acupuncture practitioners follow a tooth chart of meridians to help their practice. As such, you can use teeth to diagnose …
- 5 Natural Herbs That Support Healthy Thyroid Function
The thyroid gland is an often overlooked but extremely vital part of the human body, responsible for a number of …
- Want a Good Night’s Sleep? Quit Smoking, Says Researchers
(originally written by Brett Smith) In addition to causing cancer and heart disease, tobacco smoke disrupts the body’s circadian rhythms and ruins sleep …
- 3 Important Things To Consider When You’re Washing Your Hair (How Often Is Too Much?)
How many times a week do you wash your hair? Every dermatologist and hair stylist has a different recommendation. It’s …
- Onions Can Help You With These 5 Health Conditions
The best part of about onions is peeling them layer by layer. Onions are nearly never eaten on their own, …
- Everything You Need to Know About Adrenal Fatigue
Your health is on a continuum. On one end you have optimal health, and on the other, you have chronic …
- ‘Broken Promises of Genetically Modified Crops:’ Huge NY Times Investigation Exposes the Truth About GMOs, Monsanto’s Biggest Lies
Let’s face it, Monsanto has gotten away with crimes even the most hardened criminals would never even imagine doing. And …
- Broccoli Component Could Help Prevent or Treat Breast Cancer
Although broccoli has previously been cited as a vegetable that can help to prevent and treat prostate cancer, recent studies …
- According To This Study, Poor Lifestyle Choices Can Affect Future Generations Through DNA
There’s evidence that environmental stressors and trauma can be passed down from one generation to the next(1), but now new …
- They Put Cameras In a Retirement Home. What They Saw Next Surprised Everyone…
Alzheimer’s is a terrible disease that affects millions of Americans and their loved ones. Alive Inside is a joyous cinematic …
- GMO Advocate Says Weedkiller is Safe to Drink…Watch What Happens When He’s Offered a Glass!
Former Greenpeace president and current advocate of GMOs Patrick Moore made a scene on French television, when a reporter asked …
- Cleveland Clinic Doctor And Libertarian Presidential Candidate Found Dead In Hotel Room
Dr. Mark Allan Feldman, a prominent doctor and member of the world renown non-profit Cleveland Clinic, has been found dead …
- How The Pharmaceutical Industry Is Partly Responsible For Creating “Superbugs”
While antibiotic drugs like penicillin have saved countless lives and eliminated most public health threats like syphilis, there is a …
- For All Smokers: How to Make a Detox Elixir To Cleanse Your Lungs
Everyone knows that smoking is terrible for your health, yet many people still indulge in this bad habit. If you’re …
- 5 Natural Ways To Get Rid of Headaches Fast
There are many different types of headaches caused by a number of varying factors. Everything from dietary changes to stress …