Mindfulness exercise training has been proven to be therapeutic in various aspects of health.
But did you know? It can also have an impact on your blood sugar levels, especially for individuals who struggle with type 2 diabetes.
Mindfulness and Diabetes
Key to the management of diabetes, particularly type 2 diabetes, is impulse control, especially when it comes to food. Mindfulness exercise training has been proven to be effective in the treatment of impulse-based eating disorders like binge eating disorder, according to a foundational study published in 2011 in the journal Eating Disorders(3).
Mindfulness training can greatly improve one’s sense of self-control with regard to eating, which is key not just in managing eating disorders but in managing diabetes as well.
A pilot study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in 2013 explored the premise of mindfulness training in helping adults with type 2 diabetes manage their weight and blood sugar levels.
Participants included adults between the ages of 35 and 65 with type 2 diabetes mellitus, who were randomly assigned to a three month session of mindful eating or Smart Choices-based intervention.
The study concluded that “training in mindful eating and diabetes self-management facilitate improvement in dietary intake, modest weight loss, and glycemic control” – all of which are hugely important for the management of type 2 diabetes(4).
Blood Pressure And Depression
Mindfulness meditation has also been shown to lower blood pressure(5), which is another important factor in the management of diabetes.
Another aspect in diabetes management that is far too important to overlook is the impact that living with a chronic disease can have on an individuals mental health. Diabetes is intimately linked to depression in adults living with both diseases; mindfulness meditation can not only help with managing the physical aspect of diabetes, but help mitigate the emotional toll it takes as well(6).
Exploring Mindfulness Meditation
There are many ways to begin exploring mindfulness meditation: instructional videos can be found on youtube, and books detailing the processes are accessible in the self-help sections of most bookstores. While the mechanics of mindfulness meditation are not difficult to grasp, acquiring true mindfulness can take significant effort and patience.
However, even just a few moments of mindfulness in the midst of a hectic day can go a long way towards helping your body and mind recover from stress. Over an extended period of time, mindfulness exercises can help with managing your diet, blood pressure, and mental health as well.
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15256293
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17291166
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21181579
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3485681/
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3324609/
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21474250
- Researchers Have Cracked The Code On How to Convert Blood Type A and B Into Universal Donors
Every two seconds in the United States, someone needs a blood transfusion(1). Blood is a precious resource for healthcare workers, …
- Alzheimer’s Disease May Start Long Before Even The Earliest Symptoms Become Apparent
When it comes to Alzheimer’s disease, early detection can make a huge difference in determining the course of a patient’s …
- Rural Africans Were Asked To Eat an American Diet For 2 Weeks…What Happens Next is Alarming!
Many contemporary diets contain large amounts of red meat, fat, and sugar – which can put you at increased risk …
- Here’s What Your Handshake Can Tell You About Your Heart Attack And Stroke Risk
Having a firm handshake can be to your benefit in job interviews, but what else can you tell about a …
- Pregnancy Test Leads To Cancer Diagnosis For Teenage Boy
When 18 year old Byron Geldard was diagnosed with cancer, doctors were stumped as to what kind of cancer he …
- Shocking Investigation Reveals Herbal Supplements From GNC, Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreens are FAKE!
For the millions who shop for store-brand herbal supplements at mega retailers like Walmart, you’re in for a big surprise. …
- This Novel Microfluidic Device Helps Identify Cancer Cells That Can Spread Throughout The Body
What makes some cancer cells break away from tumors and spread to other parts of the body? Cancer becomes increasingly …
- Studies Show That Exercising Is The Best Way To Go About Removing Toxins From The Lymphatic System
There are two major circulatory systems in our bodies: the blood vascular system and the lymphatic system. While the blood …
- Scientists Examined The Mouths, Skin and Feces of an Amazonian Tribe…Here’s What They Discovered.
The recent discovery of a semi-nomadic community of about 15,000 Yanomami people in southern Venezuela(1) has doctors and scientists wondering …
- Taking Hypertension Meds For More Than 10 Years Increase Your Risk of Breast Cancer
Hypertension and pre-hypertension are serious public health concerns in the United States, with 2 out of every 3 adults affected …
- 4D Ultrasound Scans Reveal Not So Surprising Effects of What Smoking Does To a Fetus
There is no two ways about it: smoking is bad for your health. Every health and wellness website cautions you …
- Even Exercising Can’t Balance Out The Effects of a Diet Heavy in Sugar And Carbs, Experts Say
While many people rely on regular exercise to “balance out” the effects of a diet heavy in carbs and sugar, …
- The FDA Is Banning Trans Fats And Here’s Why This Move Is Going To Save Thousands of Lives Each Year
After a period of consideration, the US Food and Drug Administration has come out in opposition to the prevalence of …
- Exposure to Herbicides and Insecticides Increase Your Risk of Developing Parkinson’s Disease
Pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides have all been linked to a wide range of health problems, which is why there is …
- Researchers Discover ‘Missing Link’ Between Brain and Immune System (This Changes Everything!)
A recent study has turned decades of medical education on its head by reporting a direct connection between the brain …