Mindfulness exercise training has been proven to be therapeutic in various aspects of health.
But did you know? It can also have an impact on your blood sugar levels, especially for individuals who struggle with type 2 diabetes.
Mindfulness and Diabetes
Key to the management of diabetes, particularly type 2 diabetes, is impulse control, especially when it comes to food. Mindfulness exercise training has been proven to be effective in the treatment of impulse-based eating disorders like binge eating disorder, according to a foundational study published in 2011 in the journal Eating Disorders(3).
Mindfulness training can greatly improve one’s sense of self-control with regard to eating, which is key not just in managing eating disorders but in managing diabetes as well.
A pilot study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in 2013 explored the premise of mindfulness training in helping adults with type 2 diabetes manage their weight and blood sugar levels.
Participants included adults between the ages of 35 and 65 with type 2 diabetes mellitus, who were randomly assigned to a three month session of mindful eating or Smart Choices-based intervention.
The study concluded that “training in mindful eating and diabetes self-management facilitate improvement in dietary intake, modest weight loss, and glycemic control” – all of which are hugely important for the management of type 2 diabetes(4).
Blood Pressure And Depression
Mindfulness meditation has also been shown to lower blood pressure(5), which is another important factor in the management of diabetes.
Another aspect in diabetes management that is far too important to overlook is the impact that living with a chronic disease can have on an individuals mental health. Diabetes is intimately linked to depression in adults living with both diseases; mindfulness meditation can not only help with managing the physical aspect of diabetes, but help mitigate the emotional toll it takes as well(6).
Exploring Mindfulness Meditation
There are many ways to begin exploring mindfulness meditation: instructional videos can be found on youtube, and books detailing the processes are accessible in the self-help sections of most bookstores. While the mechanics of mindfulness meditation are not difficult to grasp, acquiring true mindfulness can take significant effort and patience.
However, even just a few moments of mindfulness in the midst of a hectic day can go a long way towards helping your body and mind recover from stress. Over an extended period of time, mindfulness exercises can help with managing your diet, blood pressure, and mental health as well.
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15256293
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17291166
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21181579
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3485681/
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3324609/
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21474250
- This Amino Acid Could Help Protect Your Teeth and Prevent Decay By Destroying Harmful Bacteria
While many of us face paralyzing indecision when confronted with the myriad toothpaste, mouthwash, and teeth whitening products available commercially, …
- Eating Vegetables and Proteins Before Carbs Helps Keep Your Blood Sugar Levels In Check
A new study published in the Journal of Diabetes Care says that how, in addition to what, you eat may …
- Exposure to Herbicides and Insecticides Increase Your Risk of Developing Parkinson’s Disease
Pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides have all been linked to a wide range of health problems, which is why there is …
- Just Staring At an Image of a Green Roof For 40 Seconds Is Enough To Improve Focus, Study Finds
Green rooftops may be just starting to catch on in North America, but around the world countries like France have …
- Researchers Expose How Fluoride In Water Supply Is Making Us Sick and Depressed
New research from the Centre for Health Services Studies at the University of Kent is leading to calls for more …
- Depression Can Affect Every Aspect of Your Body and Mind…Right Down to Your DNA, Study Says
Depression affects almost 7% of the US population, according to the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance(1) and the effects of …
- A Father and Son’s Genius Beehive Invention Let’s You Harvest Honey Without Disturbing Bees!
While the health effects of honey are well-researched and thoroughly documented, harvesting honey has long been the domain of professional …
- 3 Surprising Foods That Help You Burn Fat (No. 2 Is Definitely Something You’ll Want To Try!)
Losing weight is something many people struggle with, but it doesn’t have to be a constant battle. By boosting your …
- Natural Compound Found In Marijuana Helps Heal Broken Bones, And Even Makes Them Stronger
A compound known as cannabinoid cannabidiol, or CBD, which is found in marijuana, may help heal bone fractures, even making …
- Popular Drugs Used To Treat Depression Can Clog Your Heart And Arteries
The brain is a delicate organ, one that can be damaged easily. Even the slightest trauma can alter or impair …
- Researchers Are Close To Patenting a Natural Compound Found In Avocados For Treating Leukemia
Once shunned for being too high in fat, avocados have won over many people, including dieticians, in recent years. They’re …
- What Happened To This Family After They Started Eating Organic For 2 Weeks Straight Is Amazing!
While numerous studies have been done on the subject of pesticides in food and their impact they can have on …
- Scientists Discover a Way To Generate LIGHT By Using Pomegranate Juice And Turmeric Extract
LED technology is something many people rely on for emergency lighting, but the fact of the matter is that these …
- Researchers Come Across New Treatment That Could Potentially End Diabetes For Good
Diabetes is one of the major health concerns in the United States today. According to the CDC, in 2014 roughly 9.3% …
- Natural Compound Found in Green Tea Helps Kill Oral Cancer Cells Without Harming Healthy Cells
According to the American Oral Cancer Foundation, nearly 50,000 Americans will be diagnosed with some form of oral cancer this …