Clotting is a life-saving measure your body takes to prevent itself from bleeding out during an injury. Platelets and proteins in the plasma of your blood jump into action within the first second to minutes after your blood vessel is injured (1).
These clots form a barrier that temporarily seals off the site of injury to keep bacteria and matter out. When the blood vessel is healed, the clot naturally dissolves. When clots form inappropriately inside your blood vessels, however, it can be a recipe for disaster.
Up to 900,000 people develop vascular blood clots in the United States every year. If caught in time, blood clots can be safely dissolved. If not, they will gradually decrease blood flow throughout the body or even migrate towards the lungs, heart, or brain, where they can prove fatal. In fact, roughly 1 in 3 people to suffer from blood clots will die of the condition.
What you Need to Know About Blood Clots
The most important factor in increasing survival is to be able to recognize blood clots early on in their formation. Knowing why they occur is incredibly helpful too.
Common causes include:
- Antiphospholipid syndrome
- Arteriosclerosis / atherosclerosis
- Certain medications, such as oral contraceptives, hormone therapy drugs, and some breast cancer medications
- Factor V Leiden
- Family history of blood clots
- Heart arrhythmias
- Hiatal hernia
- Heart failure
- Peripheral artery disease
- Polycythemia vera
- Prolonged sitting or bed rest
Blood clots in the arms and legs can cause (2):
- A warm sensation
- A pale or bluish discoloration
These clots can also be a sign of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), which occurs “…when a blood clot (thrombus) forms in one or more of the deep veins in your body, usually in your legs.”
“Deep vein thrombosis can also happen if you don’t move for a long time, such as after surgery, following an accident, or when you are confined to a hospital or nursing home bed,” writes the Mayo Clinic (3).
DVP typically presents itself a tender, cramp-like pain, muscle soreness or a charley horse.
Pulmonary Embolism Symptoms
A pulmonary embolism is a blockage of in one of the pulmonary arteries in your lungs, typically caused by a blood clot. This causes a fatal blockage of blood flow to the lungs (4).
Patients suffering from deep vein thrombosis are more likely to suffer from a pulmonary embolism.
Common symptoms include shortness of breath, chest pain, cough, and bloody or blood-streaked phlegm.
Other symptoms include:
- Clammy or discolored skin (cyanosis)
- Excessive sweating
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
All the symptoms above should be taken seriously and require emergency care.
Blood clots in the brain, which are just as deadly, can manifest themselves as the weakness of the face, arms or legs, difficulty speaking, vision problems, sudden and severe headache, and dizziness.
Prevention and Treatment
Once at the hospital, doctors can diagnose blood clots thanks to an ultrasound or MRI. A blood test may also be in order.
Your doctor may treat the condition with anticoagulants, thrombolytics, and/or surgery.
Preventing blood clots is much easier, and far less risky than treating them. To keep your vascular system healthy, exercise daily, quit smoking, maintain a healthy blood pressure and cholesterol, and visit your doctor regularly to check your blood pressure (5).
Women who are pregnant, on birth control, or taking hormone replacement therapy, as well as anyone with a family history of blood clots should discuss blood clot prevention with their doctor.
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …