Clotting is a life-saving measure your body takes to prevent itself from bleeding out during an injury. Platelets and proteins in the plasma of your blood jump into action within the first second to minutes after your blood vessel is injured (1).
These clots form a barrier that temporarily seals off the site of injury to keep bacteria and matter out. When the blood vessel is healed, the clot naturally dissolves. When clots form inappropriately inside your blood vessels, however, it can be a recipe for disaster.
Up to 900,000 people develop vascular blood clots in the United States every year. If caught in time, blood clots can be safely dissolved. If not, they will gradually decrease blood flow throughout the body or even migrate towards the lungs, heart, or brain, where they can prove fatal. In fact, roughly 1 in 3 people to suffer from blood clots will die of the condition.
What you Need to Know About Blood Clots
The most important factor in increasing survival is to be able to recognize blood clots early on in their formation. Knowing why they occur is incredibly helpful too.
Common causes include:
- Antiphospholipid syndrome
- Arteriosclerosis / atherosclerosis
- Certain medications, such as oral contraceptives, hormone therapy drugs, and some breast cancer medications
- Factor V Leiden
- Family history of blood clots
- Heart arrhythmias
- Hiatal hernia
- Heart failure
- Peripheral artery disease
- Polycythemia vera
- Prolonged sitting or bed rest
Blood clots in the arms and legs can cause (2):
- A warm sensation
- A pale or bluish discoloration
These clots can also be a sign of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), which occurs “…when a blood clot (thrombus) forms in one or more of the deep veins in your body, usually in your legs.”
“Deep vein thrombosis can also happen if you don’t move for a long time, such as after surgery, following an accident, or when you are confined to a hospital or nursing home bed,” writes the Mayo Clinic (3).
DVP typically presents itself a tender, cramp-like pain, muscle soreness or a charley horse.
Pulmonary Embolism Symptoms
A pulmonary embolism is a blockage of in one of the pulmonary arteries in your lungs, typically caused by a blood clot. This causes a fatal blockage of blood flow to the lungs (4).
Patients suffering from deep vein thrombosis are more likely to suffer from a pulmonary embolism.
Common symptoms include shortness of breath, chest pain, cough, and bloody or blood-streaked phlegm.
Other symptoms include:
- Clammy or discolored skin (cyanosis)
- Excessive sweating
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
All the symptoms above should be taken seriously and require emergency care.
Blood clots in the brain, which are just as deadly, can manifest themselves as the weakness of the face, arms or legs, difficulty speaking, vision problems, sudden and severe headache, and dizziness.
Prevention and Treatment
Once at the hospital, doctors can diagnose blood clots thanks to an ultrasound or MRI. A blood test may also be in order.
Your doctor may treat the condition with anticoagulants, thrombolytics, and/or surgery.
Preventing blood clots is much easier, and far less risky than treating them. To keep your vascular system healthy, exercise daily, quit smoking, maintain a healthy blood pressure and cholesterol, and visit your doctor regularly to check your blood pressure (5).
Women who are pregnant, on birth control, or taking hormone replacement therapy, as well as anyone with a family history of blood clots should discuss blood clot prevention with their doctor.
- 6 Surprising Things Fed to US Cows!
For the most part, cattle in America are seen not as animals or living, breathing entities, but as commodities—products to …
- 20 Surprising Beauty Uses For Coconut Oil
Personal hygiene products and cosmetics often hide harsh chemicals that are absorbed into your skin and make their way into …
- These 5 Weird Things Happen To Your Body When You’re Not Getting Enough Iron
Have you been feeling unusually run down and tired lately? Are you easily distracted and struggling to find the energy …
- 7 Tips on How to Nap Like a Pro
Countless adults are short on sleep, and naps are a great way to make up for some of those lost …
- Top 6 Reasons Why You’re Forgetful
Did you forget where you put your keys again? Maybe you can’t remember what you ate for dinner yesterday. Memory …
- Are You Feeling Nervous Or Depressed? This Ancient Technique Will Help You Relax In No Time!
Eastern healing methods have really gained traction in the western world recently, despite having been introduced over half a century …
- Some Guy Posted His Hospital Bill Online. You’ll See Why Everyone’s Talking About It.
In a Reddit post gone viral, a man explained that he went to the hospital for an appendicitis, and ended …
- Be Careful! Why Flip-Flops Are The Most Dangerous Summer Choice For Your Feet And Ankles
It’s no surprise that summertime is many people’s favorite season. With the ever-growing heat and sun exposure, our clothes get …
- Flu vs. Cold, and Why You Need to Know the Difference
Flu season is well underway, and if you haven’t contracted the flu yet this year, you should consider yourself lucky! …
- This 2-Ingredient Mix Is All You Need To Get Rid Of Nail Fungus For Good!
There’s a lot of things that can affect your feet, whether it be athlete’s foot, ingrown toenails or foot pain. …
- Being Overweight due to ‘Slow Metabolism’ No Longer Just an Excuse
No longer can people be mocked for saying the reason they are overweight is due to ‘bad genes’, because researchers …
- New Study Confirms Not so Surprising Fact About Weight Loss
I imagine this one will be all over the news today, and superficially I can certainly see why – a …
- What Happens to FAT, Inflammation and Immunity When You Eat 1 Tbsp of Elderberry Syrup Daily
Have your parents ever warned you not to eat the poisonous red berries of the elderberry bush? Surprisingly, when these …
- The Shocking Reason Why You Need To Boil Cinnamon Before Using It For Weight Loss
If you didn’t already know, cinnamon is often used in weight loss recipes. And the reason for that is because eating …
- Natural Substance Found in Ginger Destroys Leukemia Without Harming Normal Cells, Study Finds
A new study is starting to make waves around the world . Scientists have discovered that 6-Shagaol, a primary ingredient in …