Clotting is a life-saving measure your body takes to prevent itself from bleeding out during an injury. Platelets and proteins in the plasma of your blood jump into action within the first second to minutes after your blood vessel is injured (1).
These clots form a barrier that temporarily seals off the site of injury to keep bacteria and matter out. When the blood vessel is healed, the clot naturally dissolves. When clots form inappropriately inside your blood vessels, however, it can be a recipe for disaster.
Up to 900,000 people develop vascular blood clots in the United States every year. If caught in time, blood clots can be safely dissolved. If not, they will gradually decrease blood flow throughout the body or even migrate towards the lungs, heart, or brain, where they can prove fatal. In fact, roughly 1 in 3 people to suffer from blood clots will die of the condition.
What you Need to Know About Blood Clots
The most important factor in increasing survival is to be able to recognize blood clots early on in their formation. Knowing why they occur is incredibly helpful too.
Common causes include:
- Antiphospholipid syndrome
- Arteriosclerosis / atherosclerosis
- Certain medications, such as oral contraceptives, hormone therapy drugs, and some breast cancer medications
- Factor V Leiden
- Family history of blood clots
- Heart arrhythmias
- Hiatal hernia
- Heart failure
- Peripheral artery disease
- Polycythemia vera
- Prolonged sitting or bed rest
Blood clots in the arms and legs can cause (2):
- A warm sensation
- A pale or bluish discoloration
These clots can also be a sign of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), which occurs “…when a blood clot (thrombus) forms in one or more of the deep veins in your body, usually in your legs.”
“Deep vein thrombosis can also happen if you don’t move for a long time, such as after surgery, following an accident, or when you are confined to a hospital or nursing home bed,” writes the Mayo Clinic (3).
DVP typically presents itself a tender, cramp-like pain, muscle soreness or a charley horse.
Pulmonary Embolism Symptoms
A pulmonary embolism is a blockage of in one of the pulmonary arteries in your lungs, typically caused by a blood clot. This causes a fatal blockage of blood flow to the lungs (4).
Patients suffering from deep vein thrombosis are more likely to suffer from a pulmonary embolism.
Common symptoms include shortness of breath, chest pain, cough, and bloody or blood-streaked phlegm.
Other symptoms include:
- Clammy or discolored skin (cyanosis)
- Excessive sweating
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
All the symptoms above should be taken seriously and require emergency care.
Blood clots in the brain, which are just as deadly, can manifest themselves as the weakness of the face, arms or legs, difficulty speaking, vision problems, sudden and severe headache, and dizziness.
Prevention and Treatment
Once at the hospital, doctors can diagnose blood clots thanks to an ultrasound or MRI. A blood test may also be in order.
Your doctor may treat the condition with anticoagulants, thrombolytics, and/or surgery.
Preventing blood clots is much easier, and far less risky than treating them. To keep your vascular system healthy, exercise daily, quit smoking, maintain a healthy blood pressure and cholesterol, and visit your doctor regularly to check your blood pressure (5).
Women who are pregnant, on birth control, or taking hormone replacement therapy, as well as anyone with a family history of blood clots should discuss blood clot prevention with their doctor.
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …