Clotting is a life-saving measure your body takes to prevent itself from bleeding out during an injury. Platelets and proteins in the plasma of your blood jump into action within the first second to minutes after your blood vessel is injured (1).
These clots form a barrier that temporarily seals off the site of injury to keep bacteria and matter out. When the blood vessel is healed, the clot naturally dissolves. When clots form inappropriately inside your blood vessels, however, it can be a recipe for disaster.
Up to 900,000 people develop vascular blood clots in the United States every year. If caught in time, blood clots can be safely dissolved. If not, they will gradually decrease blood flow throughout the body or even migrate towards the lungs, heart, or brain, where they can prove fatal. In fact, roughly 1 in 3 people to suffer from blood clots will die of the condition.
What you Need to Know About Blood Clots
The most important factor in increasing survival is to be able to recognize blood clots early on in their formation. Knowing why they occur is incredibly helpful too.
Common causes include:
- Antiphospholipid syndrome
- Arteriosclerosis / atherosclerosis
- Certain medications, such as oral contraceptives, hormone therapy drugs, and some breast cancer medications
- Factor V Leiden
- Family history of blood clots
- Heart arrhythmias
- Hiatal hernia
- Heart failure
- Peripheral artery disease
- Polycythemia vera
- Prolonged sitting or bed rest
Blood clots in the arms and legs can cause (2):
- A warm sensation
- A pale or bluish discoloration
These clots can also be a sign of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), which occurs “…when a blood clot (thrombus) forms in one or more of the deep veins in your body, usually in your legs.”
“Deep vein thrombosis can also happen if you don’t move for a long time, such as after surgery, following an accident, or when you are confined to a hospital or nursing home bed,” writes the Mayo Clinic (3).
DVP typically presents itself a tender, cramp-like pain, muscle soreness or a charley horse.
Pulmonary Embolism Symptoms
A pulmonary embolism is a blockage of in one of the pulmonary arteries in your lungs, typically caused by a blood clot. This causes a fatal blockage of blood flow to the lungs (4).
Patients suffering from deep vein thrombosis are more likely to suffer from a pulmonary embolism.
Common symptoms include shortness of breath, chest pain, cough, and bloody or blood-streaked phlegm.
Other symptoms include:
- Clammy or discolored skin (cyanosis)
- Excessive sweating
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
All the symptoms above should be taken seriously and require emergency care.
Blood clots in the brain, which are just as deadly, can manifest themselves as the weakness of the face, arms or legs, difficulty speaking, vision problems, sudden and severe headache, and dizziness.
Prevention and Treatment
Once at the hospital, doctors can diagnose blood clots thanks to an ultrasound or MRI. A blood test may also be in order.
Your doctor may treat the condition with anticoagulants, thrombolytics, and/or surgery.
Preventing blood clots is much easier, and far less risky than treating them. To keep your vascular system healthy, exercise daily, quit smoking, maintain a healthy blood pressure and cholesterol, and visit your doctor regularly to check your blood pressure (5).
Women who are pregnant, on birth control, or taking hormone replacement therapy, as well as anyone with a family history of blood clots should discuss blood clot prevention with their doctor.
- Apple Extract Kills Colon Cancer Cells Better Than Chemotherapy Drug
Recent studies have discovered that natural compounds called Oligosaccharides, derived from apples, killed up to 46 percent of human colon cancer …
- How To Cleanse Your Kidneys Almost Instantly Using This Natural Home Drink
Your kidneys are constantly filtering your blood, making sure that waste products exit your body from urine. When you live …
- US Continues to Lead World In Obesity Rates
We talk about an “obesity epidemic” in the United States, but did you know that the US is the most …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- Older People Sleep Less. Now We Know Why.
Often as people age their sleep patterns change and they spend much less time asleep. We may know this from …
- The Natural Remedy That Will PURGE Parasites From Your Body!
The longest tapeworm ever found in a human’s intestines was approximately 82 feet, which is the length of a standard …
- 7 Foods and Nutrients Proven To Cut Macular Degeneration Risk
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a condition during which central vision deteriorates over time due to a damaged macula—a small, …
- Mix Bananas, Honey and Water: Cough and Bronchitis Will Disappear
If you have ever had bronchitis, you know how hard it is to treat. Worse of all, when your airway …
- Advice from the Expert: How to Live Longer and Feel Better
Linus Pauling stands apart as the expert on life prolonging techniques. The only two-time Nobel Laureate – once in Chemistry …
- Doctor’s Warning: Check Baby Wipes Label For Possible Chemical That May Cause Rashes
Would you be surprised to learn that baby wipes are a relatively new product? American inventor, Arthur Julius, who later …
- 2 Easy Ways to Prepare Nettle Syrup To Help Cleanse Your Blood and Clear Your Arteries
Nettle syrup is commonly used for blood cleansing, but it’s also useful against allergies, inflammation and hypertension. Those with asthma …
- Man Wears Ridiculous Pink Tutu For Good Cause
You might scratch your head when you see these photos and think “Why is that guy wearing a pink tutu?” …
- Stop Migraines In Just 5 Minutes With This Awesome Drink
Getting up with a migraine is a horrible way to start the day. The excruciating pain that migraines bring can …
- 20 Fruits, Veggies And Herbs You Can Grow At Home For An ENDLESS Supply of Organic And Free Food
Although growing your own food may seem like a daunting task now, before grocery stores came about, having a garden …
- Do These 2 Things Everyday To Protect Your Brain From Alzheimer’s
There is an outdated school of thought which believes that once you’ve reached physical maturity, your brain ceases to make …