The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied for modern ills if we only extend our imaginations and leave societal mores in the ditch.
Castor oil is made from the seeds of the castor plant. It is thick and has a slight pungent smell—you don’t want to use it on your skin when getting ready for a first date.
Rich in antioxidants, castor oil is antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. Applying it before bedtime is optimal, which gives it ample time to work on whatever ails you.
Below are beneficial topical uses of castor oil you might not have tried.
- Soothes minor skin abrasions and burns
- Aids healing of injured or sore joints
- Removes warts and moles (1)
- Reduces fever (2)
- Reduces and prevents the appearance of stretch marks
- Mixed with a little baking soda, can eliminate dark spots on the face
- Soothes chronic hoarseness and vocal chord strain
- Promotes lymph flow
- Soothes dry eyes (one drop of USP [United States Pharmacopoeia] castor oil in each eye before sleep; the USP grade is important to ensure no impurities) (3) There is anecdotal evidence that castor oil eliminates and prevents eye cataracts. (4)
- Back and arthritis pain relief
- Stimulates lactation
- Stimulates hair growth by massaging a few drops into the scalp (also works on eyebrows and lashes)
- Soothes insect bites, reducing inflammation and itch
- Kills foot fungus infection (athlete’s foot)
- Removes calcium deposits and tough skin on soles of the feet
- Improves hearing with a few drops in the ear
- Treats hepatitis when used as a compress over the liver (5)
If you’re brave enough to drink castor oil (it is decidedly not delicious), you may mix with water, juice, or cool tea; taken internally, you can reap these benefits:
- Reduce nicotine and alcohol addiction with 2 drops a day
- Reduce tinnitus with 6-8 drops a day
- Reduce hyperactivity with 2 drops a day
- Eliminate snoring
- Treat seasonal and food allergies – 5 drops will do (2, 3)
- Relieve constipation with 2 drops a day
When used as a compress, castor oil combined with baking soda improves blood circulation—especially important for diabetics. Better circulation also affects the appearance of spider and varicose veins. A recipe follows.
Castor Oil Compress
- Clean cotton gauze or all-cotton towel (castor oil stains so don’t use a fancy guest towel)
- Plastic wrap
- Hot water bottle
- Dry towel
- Baking soda
- Castor oil, organic and cold-pressed
- Fill the hot water bottle with hot (not boiling) water.
- Wash the affected area with baking soda and a little water.
- Soak gauze or towel in castor oil and place on the clean area.
- Wrap the gauze with plastic wrap and cover with hot water bottle. Keep the hot water bottle in place with a larger towel.
- Allow to penetrate for at least an hour.
- When finished, carefully remove the plastic for re-use and wash the area with baking soda and water (if desired) or gently rub the castor oil in to the surrounding skin.
- Use a new castor oil compress daily for 40 days to see results.
- Clear Your Lungs And Sinuses In 30 Minutes With These Homemade Shower Disks
No one likes feeling sick. Having a sore throat, puffy eyes, and a stuffy nose is a recipe for sleepless …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Doctor’s Warning: Check Baby Wipes Label For Possible Chemical That May Cause Rashes
Would you be surprised to learn that baby wipes are a relatively new product? American inventor, Arthur Julius, who later …
- 10 Detox Baths For Relaxation and Rejuvenation
A detox bath is a great way to help cleanse the body, relax the mind, and provide extra support to …
- Everything You Need To Know About Delayed Drowning And What To Look Out For!
Swimming is one of the greatest pleasures of the warmer months. For children, a swimming pool can be the source …
- Medicinal Cannabis Is Slowly Replacing Several Prescription Medications
Since cannabis was legalized for medicinal and recreational purposes in the US, there has been a significant drop in opioid …
- We Will All Be Sleeping 30 Minutes Less a Week by 2050 as Global Warming Takes Hold
Current predictions say that temperatures across the Northern Hemisphere will increase by 2C (two degrees Celsius) in the next 30 …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- “Organic” Food From China Found To Be Highly Contaminated
With increasing awareness of the benefits of proper nutrition, organic food has taken the world by storm. Organic food sales …
- 5 Natural Ways to Bust Stress Immediately!
We can often find ourselves giving so much to others, be it at work or at home, that we often …
- 5 Benefits of Early Morning Exercise
Most of us aren’t so crazy about getting up at the crack of dawn for fun things, let alone for exercise (not …
- 5 Yoga Poses for Stress Relief
By now, you know that stress is not exactly the best thing for your health. Yoga is a great stress-buster …
- 35 Reasons You Should Be Using Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil uses date back to ancient Greece and beyond. In fact, according to the New World Encyclopedia, peppermint is …
- Chinese Face Map Reveals What Part Of Your Body Is Sick And How To Address It!
If your eyes are the windows to your soul, then your face is a map of everything that ails you, …
- How To Use Honey And Cinnamon To Lower Cholesterol And Boost Immune System
Honey and cinnamon both have incredible healing properties that can help you avoid pharmaceutical drugs. Best of all, they taste …