The lymphatic system is a part of the immune system.
It is composed of organs, ducts and nodes, including your tonsils and bone marrow (1).
Your lymphatic system transports lymph, a fluid made of white blood cells, proteins and fats.
This fluid helps distribute immune cells throughout your body, which protect against viruses and bacteria.
In combination with your circulatory system, the lympathic system also helps remove waste produced by your cells such as excess fluid, dead blood cells, cancer cells and toxins.
Here are a few useful tips in maintaining a healthy lymphatic system.
1. Avoid Soda
Soda is full of artificial colors and flavours as well as preservatives. These things can be quite toxic to the human body, which puts more strain of your lymphatic system.
Sugar is also very acidic, which is known to cause tumour growth and spread (2, 3).
2. Drink More Water
Proper hydration is important to keep lymph moving throughout the body (4).Make sure to drink between 6 to 8 glasses of filtered water a day.
3. Sip On Herbal Tea
Certain herbs can help cleanse and detoxify your body. They can also help support your immune system through their antimicrobacterial and anti-inflammatory properties (5).
Try astragalus, echinacea, cleavers, goldenseal, pokeroot or wild indigo root and see what works best for you.
4. Exercise Frequently
Your lymph won’t move unless you do!
Unlike your cardiovascular system, the lymphatic system doesn’t have a central muscle pushing it along (6). Lymph is propelled by muscle contractions. Regular circulation happens through breathing and small body movements.
Exercise makes this process 2 to 3 times faster.
5. Apply Castor Oil
Castor oil is known to improve digestion and circulation of lymphatic fluid. It stimulates the creation of more lymphocytes, which target toxins and reduces inflammation (7).
Castor oil has also been proven to suppress tumour growth (8).
How To Make a Castor Oil Pack
What you will need:
- A bottle of cold-pressed castor oil
- A large bowl
- A long piece of clean, natural fabric (cotton works best)
- Fold cloth into several layers
- Soak in oil until saturated
- Apply directly unto skin near the abdomen
- Leave on for a few hours or overnight
- Remove and refrigerate for future use
6. Breathe Deeply
Breathing through your belly can help keep you calm, which reduces stress-induced inflammation. This also keeps your lymphatic fluid moving during periods of rest.
Try these techniques to get more out of each breath.
7. Eat Nuts And Seeds
Your lymph transports fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins from your digestive system into your bloodstream (9). Increasing your intake of nuts and seeds helps maintain optimal fat levels in your lymph to ensure proper circulation.
Try eating more:
- macadamia nuts
- brazil nuts
- flax seeds
- sunflower seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- 7 Signs That SIBO Might Be The Root Cause of Your IBS And How To Treat It
You may have never heard of Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), neither has most of the medical community. In fact, …
- How To Make Detox Foot Pads At Home To Cleanse Your Body Of Toxins
Foot pads have been used and sold in Japan for hundreds of years. Similar to acupuncture, which has a positive effect on people’s energetic systems, …
- 4 Lifestyle Changes That Can Ward Off Heart Disease and Reduce Your Risk of Early Death by 80%
Information from the John Hopkins Hospital may be prompting some individuals to re-evaluate lifestyle factors that could put them at …
- The American Sugar Consumption
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past decade, chances are you’ve heard or read something about sugar …
- This Hysterical Video About a “Pregnant” Man Is a Good Reminder To Get Enough Dietary Fiber
In this peculiar ad, a couple experiences their first pregnancy…with a twist. That’s right, it’s the man who’s pregnant, not …
- 10 Little-Known Reasons Why Stress Is More Harmful To Your Body Than You Think
Chronic stress affects us in very real ways, although it can be a hard thing to measure. Often, because stress …
- Being Bilingual Is Good For The Brain And Could Even Help Prevent Dementia, Study Finds
The ability to speak two or more languages is kind of like a secret superpower. It might seem kind of …
- Your Liver is FULL of Aluminum, Start Eating These Foods To Get Rid of It Immediately!
Aluminum is a naturally occurring metal. But just because its natural, doesn’t mean that it’s okay for the human body …
- Endocrine Disruptors Make You Fat, Sick And Tired…This Is How You Avoid Them!
When food comes into contact with certain plastics, these chemicals can leech into your meal and end up in your …
- What Your Feet Can Reveal About Your Blood Pressure, Thyroid And Arthritis Risk
Did you know your feet can reveal almost anything you want to know about your overall health? In fact, there …
- Must Read: The Most Over-Prescribed Medications
Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) are some of the most over-prescribed medications out there. You might have seen popular advertisements for …
- Powerful Alternative to Aspirin Grows On Trees and Has 40-Years of Research to Back It Up
Aspirin’s long held promises are increasingly falling flat. A natural, safer and more effective alternative to this synthetic drug has …
- How To Make A Homemade Eczema Cream
Ceara (the creator of this recipe) used this cream to help heal her entire families eczema – but this can …
- 5 Easy Steps to Improve Gut Health And Kill Hidden Bad Bugs That Make You Sick
As modern medicine evolves, we learn more and more about our bodies and the vast number of ways various parts …
- How to Regrow Your Hair Naturally With These Herbs and Foods
“Male pattern baldness” is a phrase that instills fear and horror in most guys. This type of early hair loss …