Eating right doesn’t have to be hard. Consider making these seven small changes to set yourself on a path to healthy eating, weight loss, and better health. Swap…
1. Sugary cereals for oats
Cut out unneeded calories and add in some heart-healthy whole grains by switching from a sugar-coated breakfast cereal to oatmeal. Toss in some cinnamon and nuts for flavor and healthy fats. If you need a little bit of sweetness, add some fresh or dried fruit!
2. Butter/mayonnaise for avocado
Switch out the saturated fats in butter and mayonnaise for avocado, which is rich in monounsaturated fats that can actually help you lose weight. Avocadoes are also rich in antioxidants and fiber. Try spreading ripe avocado on your next turkey sandwich!
3. Corn-fed beef for grass-fed
Cows that eat grass rather than corn tend to have less body fat. For the carnivorous eater, that means a leaner cut of beef. Additionally, the fats in grass-fed beef tend to be healthier, with omega-3 fatty acids featuring in the spotlight. All together, that means fewer, healthier fats.
4. French fries for sweet potato fries
Sweet potatoes have more fiber than regular potatoes, making them more filling and more heart-healthy.
Plus, sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotenes and other nutrients that make the calories way less empty than those in normal french fries. For a healthier option, go with baked sweet potato wedges rather than fries cooked in oil.
5. Store bought treats for homemade treats
It’s impossible control what goes into the treats that you get from the store – and much harder to control portions, too. Make your own light versions of cakes and cookies when the craving hits! And because you have to put in the work of actually making the treats, you’ll be less likely to snack absentmindedly.
6. Sugary drinks for tea or water
In addition to being totally empty calories, sugary drinks don’t really make it into the body’s tally of how much you’ve eaten in a day. In other words, you won’t feel satisfied by sipping on a soda nearly as much as you would by eating something sweet and solid, like a piece of candy. That means that even if you’re having a sugar craving and have something sweet, you’ll probably go back for seconds! Instead, cut out sugary drinks entirely and go for water or tea, which are free of calories.
7. Pretzels and chips for nuts and seeds
If you need a salty snack, put down that bag of chips and pick up a handful of nuts instead. Pretzels and chips are carb-packed empty calories that might have a satisfying crunch but don’t actually offer your body any nutrition.
Nuts and seeds, on the other hand, are full of vitamin E and trace minerals that make your body function better. They’re also rich in healthy fats, so they’ll actually make you feel full. It’s still wise to enjoy nuts in moderation, though, due to their high fat content.
What are your favorite healthy food swaps? Share your ideas with us in the comments section!
- 6-Ingredient Lemon-Ginger Liver Detox Juice to Stop Your Body From STORING Toxins in FAT
If you’re familiar with healthy food and recent trends, then you’ve probably already tried beet and carrot juice. Although it …
- Boost Immunity With These Coconut Oil Recipes!
The health benefits of coconut oil are getting a lot of press these days in the natural health community. Coconut …
- The Only Recipe Formula You’ll Ever Need For All Your Future Green Smoothies
One green smoothie each day can pack in all of the important nutrients you need to reach your health goals. …
- He Pours Vinegar On Toast…What Happens Next Is Something Nobody Knows About
Vinegar isn’t just for cooking and natural remedies. It can also be used as an efficient and powerful household item. Vinegar is …
- Avocados Can Balance Hormones, Boost Metabolism, And Fight Heart Disease
Avocados have been dubbed a superfood and justifiably so. For a period of time they were thought to be unhealthy …
- This 14-Day Paleo Meal Plan Will Help You Lose Weight Fast!
The Paleo Diet has become very popular over the last several years which is why we created a paleo meal …
- The Japanese Government Officially Lists THIS Ancient Medicinal Mushroom as a Cancer Treatment!
Mushrooms aren’t everybody’s cup of tea, but there’s certainly an abundance of them in nature. Over 10,00 species of mushrooms …
- How Does Intermittent Fasting Work?
Fasting has been a dieting strategy for decades, and a common spiritual practice for even longer. In terms of dieting, …
- Too Much Fructose Is Dangerous But The Food Industry Keeps Putting It In Everything!
Fructose, a natural sugar with an unusually high level of sweetness, has been the subject of much discussion and debate …
- Honey and Ginger Kill Superbugs Better than Pharmaceutical Meds
Bacteria have been morphing into resistant strains of superbugs that make it very difficult for pharmaceutical companies to keep up …
- 8 Foods Naturopathic Doctors Always Buy
There are certain foods that always end up in my shopping cart. I stick to a healthy, easy, and quick …
- This 3-Ingredient Remedy Helps Cure Clogged Arteries, Fight Infections And Colds
A naturally prepared medicine from Germany is made up of powerful healing ingredients which include ginger, lemon, garlic and water. The three main …
- Simple Infographic Shows You EXACTLY How To Cut ANY Recipe In Half
A big part of staying healthy is keeping your portions under control. Cooking at home is the easiest way to …
- 5 Delicious Foods That Keep You Hydrated
Summer is here in the Northern Hemisphere! Everyone scampers outside for their favorite activities, ready for sun and fun. As …
- Is Beer Responsible For Your Belly?
Most of us are familiar with the term “beer belly” – that protruding gut most commonly associated with middle-aged men …