There are lots of risk factors that play into whether or not you develop breast cancer – everything from your hormones to your genes to where you live. Here are some of the most common risk factors that many women aren’t aware of.
1. Hormonal Birth Control
Hormonal birth control – also known as the pill – uses estrogen and/or progesterone to stop unwanted pregnancies. While it is effective at preventing pregnancies, it can raise your risk of developing breast cancer by overstimulating breast cells.
A recent study in the journal Cancer Research found that the more estrogen was contained in their birth control pills, the higher the risk of breast cancer for women between the ages of 20 and 49 (1).
2. Not Breastfeeding
While there are many reasons why a woman might choose not to breastfeed – working mothers are often too busy, for example – the choice not to breastfeed may increase your risk for developing breast cancer.
Breastfeeding was associated with a significantly reduced risk of breast cancer in one 2002 study (2), which also showed that the longer a woman breastfed her child, the lower her risk of breast cancer became.
3. Alcohol Consumption
Alcohol consumption can increase your risk for breast cancer by 15 percent, according to one 2011 study (4). While little to moderate alcohol consumption is usually no big deal, drinking 2-5 glasses of wine a day can have serious health implications, including an increased risk of breast cancer. Try to stick to one glass every few days.
4. Late Night Snacking
Eating late at night might satisfy your midnight snack cravings, but it can be bad for your body – and your chances of developing breast cancer. One recent study found that late-night snacking was associated with an increased risk for breast cancer (5) due to elevated blood sugar levels.
5. Working The Night Shift
While working late is often unavoidable, it can wreak havoc on your body. In addition to throwing off your circadian clock and leaving you physically exhausted, it can also raise your breast cancer risk, according to one 2012 study (6).
The key is hormone levels – when your sleep schedule is out of whack, it impacts your hormones, leaving you more vulnerable than you would otherwise be.
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar To Treat Eczema (It’s Unbelievably Effective!)
Apple cider vinegar is truly a natural beauty powerhouse. Whether it’s used to treat acne, tone skin or condition your hair, …
- Press These Points On Your Baby’s Feet To Soothe Their Pain For Better Sleep
There isn’t anything quite as heartbreaking as a parent than hearing your baby cry and not knowing what’s wrong. Some …
- 10 Surprising Reasons Why You Should Stop Throwing Away Your Banana Peels!
Banana peel aren’t exactly what you want hanging around your home too long, but they actually have multiple practical uses. …
- She Put Cabbage Leaves On Her Knee At Night – See The Results After a Month
It’s no surprise that many of the foods you know and eat everyday often have surprising healing properties. And while …
- 6 Simple Lifestyle Tips For A Happier, Healthier Liver
Your liver is essential to your overall health. This large organ works by filtering and processing blood as it circulates through the …
- 6 Most Common Symptoms of Liver Toxicity
After your skin, your liver is the second largest organ in your body. Often overlooked, your liver performs a variety of …
- 9 Scary Facts That You Should Know About Diabetes (Even If You Don’t Have It)
Diabetes is a disease that affects nearly 10% of the U.S. population, and yet it’s a disease that so few …
- Lots of People Have Food Allergies – You Could Too
The gluten-free health trend has swept the nation but that’s not the only food allergy around. Believe it or not, …
- Protect Your Cells With This Miracle Molecule
“Antioxidant” has become a huge buzzword among health buffs and within the fitness industry over the past few years, and …
- 10 Surprising Ways Eating Dark Chocolate is Good for The Body
Many people may not know it, but there are actually numerous health benefits to eating chocolate. The real, unadulterated form of …
- 5 Weird Reasons Not To Smoke
More and more studies are showing that smoking cigarettes is detrimental to your health. From bad breath to cancer to …
- This Chart Tells You EXACTLY How Much Sleep You Need To Get According To Your Age
We all know at least one workaholic who sacrifices a few hours of sleep each night to stay productive and get …
- Children Under The Age of 12 Should Avoid Handheld Devices…Here’s What They Do To Their Brains!
Technology is so ever present in our everyday lives that it’s beginning to make its way into the lives of …
- It Tightens The Skin Better Than Botox: This 3 Ingredients Face Mask Will Make You Look 10 Years Younger
Your skin is a window to your physical and emotional health. If you’re having a bad day, your skin will …
- The Best Cooking Methods To Prevent The Nutrients In Your Food From Being Destroyed
Many individuals are aware of what antioxidants are, their role in cancer prevention, and fighting free radicals. That’s why, the cooking …