There are lots of risk factors that play into whether or not you develop breast cancer – everything from your hormones to your genes to where you live. Here are some of the most common risk factors that many women aren’t aware of.
1. Hormonal Birth Control
Hormonal birth control – also known as the pill – uses estrogen and/or progesterone to stop unwanted pregnancies. While it is effective at preventing pregnancies, it can raise your risk of developing breast cancer by overstimulating breast cells.
A recent study in the journal Cancer Research found that the more estrogen was contained in their birth control pills, the higher the risk of breast cancer for women between the ages of 20 and 49 (1).
2. Not Breastfeeding
While there are many reasons why a woman might choose not to breastfeed – working mothers are often too busy, for example – the choice not to breastfeed may increase your risk for developing breast cancer.
Breastfeeding was associated with a significantly reduced risk of breast cancer in one 2002 study (2), which also showed that the longer a woman breastfed her child, the lower her risk of breast cancer became.
3. Alcohol Consumption
Alcohol consumption can increase your risk for breast cancer by 15 percent, according to one 2011 study (4). While little to moderate alcohol consumption is usually no big deal, drinking 2-5 glasses of wine a day can have serious health implications, including an increased risk of breast cancer. Try to stick to one glass every few days.
4. Late Night Snacking
Eating late at night might satisfy your midnight snack cravings, but it can be bad for your body – and your chances of developing breast cancer. One recent study found that late-night snacking was associated with an increased risk for breast cancer (5) due to elevated blood sugar levels.
5. Working The Night Shift
While working late is often unavoidable, it can wreak havoc on your body. In addition to throwing off your circadian clock and leaving you physically exhausted, it can also raise your breast cancer risk, according to one 2012 study (6).
The key is hormone levels – when your sleep schedule is out of whack, it impacts your hormones, leaving you more vulnerable than you would otherwise be.
- 17 Simple Home Remedies For Fighting Indigestion
There are many common causes for indigestion – eating too much is probably one of the most common, but it’s …
- Under Pressure? Use This 2-Minute Trick To Relax!
The habit of meditation is one of the most powerful things you’ll ever learn. Amazingly, it’s also one of the most …
- Solar Panel Farm Grows 17,000 Tons Of Food Without Soil, Pesticides, Fossil Fuels Or Groundwater
Farming is probably the world’s oldest profession and something that is obviously universal to every culture and race in the …
- How Poor Digestion Is Hurting Your Thyroid And What You Can Do To Fix It
Your thyroid gland plays a big role in your digestion and your metabolism. But did you know that it goes …
- Previously Ignored Nutrient ‘Essential’ for Brain Development
The amino acid, asparagine, found in foods such as meat, eggs, and dairy products as well as some plant foods, …
- Want a Good Night’s Sleep? Quit Smoking, Says Researchers
(originally written by Brett Smith) In addition to causing cancer and heart disease, tobacco smoke disrupts the body’s circadian rhythms and ruins sleep …
- How to Detox with a Coconut Oil Cleanse to Get Rid of Parasites, Viruses, and Fungal Infections
Coconut Oil Detox “Detox” is a word that flies around alternate medicine circles all the time. But what does that …
- Shocking: Obesity Found to Spark 500,000 Cancer Cases Annually
It is an unfortunate truth that both the United States’ and the world’s populations are becoming fatter. It seems that …
- This Immunologist is a Strong Believer in “The Power of Dirt.” Why? Get Ready to be Mind Blown!
It’s time to put to rest the popular myth that disease is a factor primarily of chance, spurred on by …
- 5 Ways to Reduce Inflammation Naturally
Inflammation is categorized as a condition that is physical and in which a certain part of the body becomes swollen, …
- 7 Warning Signs of Pancreatic Cancer
Pancreatic cancer is among the worst killers in modern medicine, for numerous different reasons. The incredibly low prognosis for those …
- Laughter Shown to Work Better Than Pharmaceuticals And Affects The Body Like Exercise
We are rife with involuntary reactions. We know why we sneeze. We know why we cough. We know why we …
- No Evidence of Aloe Vera Found in the Aloe Vera at Wal-Mart, CVS
Aloe vera is one of the most popular home remedies throughout the Americas. While it used to be a folk …
- Hand-Foot-And-Mouth Disease Is Sweeping Across Parts Of The US: Experts Beg Parents To Know These Signs
If you have kids, you probably know about Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD). While it sounds like a peculiar …
- Don’t Spend Your Money On Pedicure, Two Ingredients from Your Kitchen Can Make Your Feet Look Nice
When it comes to skincare, your hands and face are always the ones being spoiled with luxurious creams and treatments. …