The U.S. has become a country requiring workers, 24×7. We can shop for groceries at 2:00 a.m., we can speak with financial institutions about our accounts any time of the day or night, we can grab a middle of the night meal if we like – truthfully today, there isn’t much we cannot do, regardless of the time of day. If you are a night shift worker, continue reading to learn more about the science behind your sleep habits.
By working during the night, you are going against your body’s natural biological clock. Our bodies are designed to sleep after the sun goes down, and awaken in the morning – not vice versa. Many shift workers suffer from a lack of restful sleep leading to ongoing lethargy, a decrease in mental acuity, and potential health problems.
The Dangers Of The Night Shift
If you are working the night shift, chances are, you are not getting enough sleep. Because you are going against your internal biological clock, you are putting yourself at risk for developing serious injuries and chronic conditions. Let’s examine some of the potential side effects of working the night shift.
- Lower serotonin levels
- Lower leptin levels
- Greater risk for obesity due to higher levels of hormone ghrelin
- Greater risk for Type II Diabetes
- Double the risk for workplace injury
- Possible increased risk for breast cancer
- Impaired cognitive function
Shift Work Disorder – Do You Have It?
There is an actual classification and diagnosis for shift workers that have sleep disorders– “Shift Work Disorder”. Researchers believe this disorder to be caused by the disruption of the body’s natural circadian rhythms, and environmental stimuli.
Symptoms include excessive sleepiness, insomnia, restlessness, and more. If you are experiencing consistent disruptions in your sleep patterns, consider purchasing an activity tracker with sleep functions. This technology can help you track when you are getting your most restful periods of sleep, allowing you to adjust your routine as necessary.
Tips For Better Sleep
All hope is not lost; there are ways that night shift workers can get restful sleep.
- Regulate your schedule – try to avoid rotating shifts, and keep your schedule throughout the week. While it may be tempting to keep “regular” hours on your days off, this only increases the difficulty during your work week.
- Limit caffeine consumption, and don’t drink it less than 8 hours before you go to bed. It is fine to have a cup of coffee or tea when you first awaken, but avoid drinking caffeinated beverages throughout the day.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. While it may be tempting to eat a large meal just prior to retiring, it is best to eat at least 4 hours prior to bed. This gives your body a chance to digest the foods, helping to ensure a good night’s sleep.
- Exercise regularly.
- Avoid bright lights once you return home, even if it is in the middle of the day. Close drapes and blinds, and lower light levels to help your body transition to sleep. Soothing music, and a relaxing routine can help you combat poor sleep.
- Put your phone on “do not disturb” when you finally go to bed.
- Try natural health supplements including Melatonin, magnesium, lavender, valerian, l-theanine and other herbal combinations to help you get to sleep. Sipping warm chamomile tea can help relax your mind and body.
- Invest in a good comfortable mattress, and keep the temperature of your room comfortable.
- Get Rid of Foot Pain in Minutes With These 6 Effective Stretches
In Reflexology, the feet are the center of the body: all energy meridians used in acupuncture flow through the feet. …
- 64 Warning Signs You’ve Just Eaten MSG Filled Food (Reach For Ginger IMMEDIATELY)
Have you ever noticed that some foods can leave you feeling ill and foggy-headed after your meal? This phenomena has …
- How One Woman Dealt With Her Skin Cancer At Home – Using Coconut Oil And Baking Soda
Your skin is the largest organ in your body, and although it protects you from harm every day, many people …
- While You Were Distracted By The US Election, The Senate Outlawed GMO Labeling Nationwide
The issue of requiring the labeling of foods that contain genetically modified organisms (GMO) was brought before the U.S. House …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- 17 Surprising Home Remedies for Acid Reflux
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)—or the simpler “acid reflux”—affects half of all Americans. This is the condition in which food and …
- Top 10 Morning Habits To Guarantee Goodness In Your Day
The morning is a time of hope: the day is young, and you have the power to make it what it …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- This Woman Cured Her Stage 4 Cancer Without Chemo…(She Ate a Lot of THIS!)
Cancer truly is the disease of the century : while many other conditions came and went, cancer stayed strong and …
- Add 1 Tbsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar To Your Next Bath To Quickly Detox Your Body
Everyone enjoys a good bath after a long day’s work. It’s relaxing and helps relieve tension throughout the whole body. Taking …
- This Woman Invented a Way to Run 30 Lab Tests on Only One Drop of Blood.
Fast, Easy and Painless Blood Testing is coming to a Walgreens Theranos Wellness Center near You. Thanks to a 30 …
- How To Use Watermelon As Medicine
No picnic or backyard party is complete without a watermelon or two. Watermelons are so popular in fact, they are …
- 10 Surprising Ways Eating Dark Chocolate is Good for The Body
Many people may not know it, but there are actually numerous health benefits to eating chocolate. The real, unadulterated form of …
- Do This at Least Once a Week and Your Face Will Look 10 Years Younger!
The 2nd worst thing about aging is that your body slowly begins to get slower than your mind. The worst …
- Cannabis Oil Cured Girl’s Leukemia After HPV Vaccine Broke Down Her Body
Did you know that many children who have received the Gardasil vaccine have also been affected by leukemia and other …