It is so annoying when you can’t seem to sleep properly at night.
The reason could be multifaceted too – a problem at work, home, to even a chronic health issue getting you down and stopping your mind from fully relaxing enough to let you sleep.
Before reaching for a prescription drug, or an over the counter remedy that may have a long list of toxic side-effects when consumed, why not give out favourite DIY recipes for achieving the perfect night’s sleep a go?
There are many different options out there, and what suits one person may not suit another so give them all ago, one at a time though so you know which one works and which one does not.
One thing that is for sure though is an unresolved sleeping issue will eventually take its toll on your health and can cause accidents to happen, lowers your IQ, and increases your risk of diabetes and heart attack.
1. How to Make Natural Sleeping Pills
- The Capsule Machine (optional)
- “00″ gelatin or vegetable capsules
- 2 parts valerian root, powdered
- 2 parts skullcap, powdered
- 1 part lemon balm, powdered
- 1 part oatstraw, powdered
- 1 part passion flower, powdered
- 1/2 part rhodiola root, powdered
- 1/4 part hop flowers, powdered
*Parts are to be measured by volume not weight.
1. In a non-reactive bowl, mix all of the herbal powders together until well combined.
2. With the use of The Capsule Machine, fill as many capsules as you think your family will use within a 6-12 month period. Note: Don’t have a Capsule Machine? It’s okay…simply scoop the powder into each piece of the capsule and pack it tight prior to recapping the ends.
3. Store the capsules in a small glass mason jar and place the lid on tight. Keep in a cool, dark, dry place. These capsules should stay fresh for 6-12 months.
Take 2-4 caps 30 minutes prior to bedtime.
2. Herbal Sleep Aid Spray Recipe
- 2 ounces valerian root, dried
- 0.5 ounces passionflower, dried
- 0.25 ounces hop flowers, dried
- 0.25 catnip, dried
- water, approximately 3/4 cup (180 ml)
- vegetable glycerin to cover, approximately 2 cups (480 ml)
- 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) lavender extract, optional
- 4-6 drops vanilla pure flavor extract, optional
1. Using a kitchen scale, weigh out the dried herbs.
2. Put herbs into a quart-sized glass Mason jar.
3. Bring 3/4 cup of water just to a boil and pour over herbs just to moisten.
4. Measure out the vegetable glycerin and pour it over herbs to cover, filling the jar.
5. Seal the jar and shake until mixture is well combined.
6. Set the jar in a warm place and shake once or twice daily.
7. After 2-4 weeks, strain liquid through a cheesecloth. Squeeze as much of the menstruum as possible out of the plant material. Note: If so desired, repeat steps 1-7 using the liquid extract that is strained in place of the water and vegetable glycerin. This is referred to as a double infusion, and produces a much stronger, more effective medicine.
8. Add lavender extract and vanilla pure flavor extract when using.
9. Pour the extract into dark amber glass bottles with mister pumps. Label the bottles with the name, herbs, date made, and menstruum used. Will keep for approximately 2-3 years.
Administer 3 sprays directly under the tongue as needed or as directed by a professional health care provider. Keep out of reach of children.
3. Dreamy Sleep Salve Recipe
- 1 Cup Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 T. Beeswax Pastilles
- 1/2 t. vitamin e oil (optional)
Makes enough for (4) – 4 ounce jars.
1. Melt the coconut, olive oil and beeswax in a warm water bath, stirring every few minutes until melted. This will take 10 – 15 minutes, you want it to melt slowly. No blender necessary.
2. While you are waiting for the wax to melt, add 90 drops of Dream Blend to each 4 ounce glass jar.
3. When the beeswax is completely melted, pour the mixture into the jars and let cool.
4. Cover with lid after completely cooled. Shelf life is approximately 8 months.
Apply Dream-y Sleep Salve to the bottom of both feet after you’ve climbed into bed and massage in. (The large pores of the feet allow the oil to absorb quickly.) Really SLATHER your feet with the salve and then put lightweight socks on.
4. Fresh Chamomile-Lavender Tea
- 1 teaspoon of lavender buds
- 1 teaspoon of chamomile buds
- 8 ounces of hot water
- milk/honey to taste (optional)
1. Bring 8 ounces of water to a boil.
2. In a teaball or loose-leaf tea strainer, place 1 teaspoon each of lavender and chamomile buds.
3. Put the straining device in your cup and pour the boiling water over it.
4. Allow the herbs to steep for 10-15 minutes-the longer it steeps the stronger the flavor will be.
5. Add milk and/or honey to taste.
*If you don’t have a teaball or something similar, simply pour the hot water directly over the herbs in a bowl and then use a kitchen strainer to remove the buds.
5. Herbal Bedtime Tea
*Purchase organically-grown or wildcrafted herbs whenever possible. Parts are measured by volume not weight.
- 3 parts chamomile flowers
- 2 parts lemon balm
- 1 part catnip
- 1 part oatstraw
- 1 part passionflower
- 1/4 part hop flowers
- 1/4 part valerian root
1. Measure the parts of each of the herbs listed and mix in a large bowl until well combined.
3. This herbal tea blend will keep stored in a cool, dark place for approximately 6 months.
This tea is mild enough to use nightly. Take a cup 30 minutes before bed.
Did you find any of these natural sleep aids beneficial? If so please share your thoughts below as we would love to hear what worked for you, and this information will help to inspire others to give these natural options a go which we are a big fan of promoting!