There are many factors that lead to the development of cancer – from environmental factors like pollution, to genetic predisposition to certain forms of cancer, to lifestyle choices like smoking, it can seem like cancer lurks around the corner of every decision we make today.
Many people with family histories of the disease are opting for radical preventative measures; women who, like actress Angelina Jolie, carry the BRCA-1 gene (putting them at a higher risk of developing breast cancer), often opt for preventative mastectomies rather than risk keeping their natural breasts only to potentially lose them to cancer.
Fortunately, there are steps you can take to prevent cancer or at least reduce your risks, and some of them may be as close by as your spice rack, according to new research.
Eating healthy certainly has an impact on your inclination towards diseases like cancer, but according to scientists, incorporating certain spices into your diet can take you a step further in terms of cancer prevention.
The true standout among these spices is turmeric, a popular spice used in Indian cooking. While turmeric is commonly used as an anti-inflammatory, it’s also a powerful antioxidant, and therein lies the key to its potent cancer-preventing abilities.
How Do Antioxidants Help?
In layman’s terms, they neutralize free radicals, which can cause cell damage that increases your risk of developing cancerous cells in your body. Used in cancer treatments to supplement chemotherapy, antioxidants have an important role to play in everyday cancer prevention. What’s more, research has shown that even dietary antioxidants – ones you get from the foods you eat every day – can help prevent cancer from developing.
Turmeric’s antioxidant properties are no joke, which is why it’s highly recommended that if you’re concerned about your risk for developing cancer, you should make it part of your everyday diet, along with other antioxidants like black pepper, and fruits and vegetables which are high in vitamin C.
3-Ingredient Mix To Prevent Cancer
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil (fat is needed to help increase turmeric absorption)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper (enhances curcumin’s bioavailability)
Optional: You can replace the olive oil with coconut oil.
Simply mix the 3 ingredients and drink. If that idea is unappealing to you, you can simply add this mixture to your meals. However you choose to add turmeric into your diet, it’s a good idea to get at least a tablespoon a day; turmeric is safe to consume even in high doses and it’s relatively easy on the digestive tract as well.
The anti-cancer effects of turmeric and other antioxidant spices and foods show us that there’s no need to live in fear of developing cancer every day. While diet isn’t the only factor in determining who develops cancer, a healthy diet rich in antioxidants can go a long way towards prevention.
- The 3 Golden Rules You NEED To Fight Cancer, Slow Down Aging And Burn Belly Fat
Hippocrates had it right when he said, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” This Ancient Greek …
- The Gel-Like Substance Found In Aloe Vera Is Great for Your Skin and Cardiovascular System
Aloe Vera has a history that spans over 6000 years. The Egyptian civilization was the first to note its extraordinary …
- Watercress Is The Healthiest Vegetable? Carrot Is #26? Here’s A Chart To Memorize.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta doesn’t just have the morbid job of monitoring and managing negative health …
- 7 Foods To Eat For an Exceptional Immune System
If you’ve been feeling weak lately and have noticed that you’re getting sick a lot with minor colds and flus, you …
- Cinnamon: It’s Not Just For Breakfast
Cinnamon is a known-metabolism booster, and also kicks up flavor. Some studies point to cinnamon helping to lower cholesterol and …
- Twinkie Diet Helps Nutrition Professor Lose 27 Pounds
Kansas State University nutrition professor Mark Haub’s “Twinkie diet” immediately caught the attention of sites like CNN and The Huffington …
- Feds to Parents: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only.
Just when do we stand up and say “the government has gone too far!”? A Virginia pre-school issued the following …
- Here’s 8,000 Scientifically Proven Reasons Why You Need To Cut Back on Sugar
One of the worst things you can do to your body is feed it sugar — not necessarily natural sugar …
- New Food Pyramid Shows Rise In Toxicity With Food Processing
A food processing pyramid designed by Udo Erasmus perfectly illustrates how processed foods rise in toxicity and potential health dangers …
- Inhabitants of This Village Live Up to 100+ Years and What They Eat Will Surprise You
A group of centenarians in a Chinese village seem to have stumbled upon a veritable fountain of youth in the …
- The Spoils of Going GMO-Free: Chipotle Stock Hits an All-Time High After Announcing ‘Blockbuster Earnings’
When companies give customers what they want, the customers respond. Chipotle restaurants, now the biggest Mexican-style casual food chain in …
- America’s #1 GMO Cookie that Causes Fatty Liver And Cancer
Oreo cookies are of America’s most well-loved and recognized treats. Throughout their 104-year legacy, the cookie brand has settled into …
- Glyphosate: What You Don’t Know Might be Killing You
Rock on, Sisters. Never underestimate the power of a mother protecting her child. Two mothers’ organizations are focusing their efforts …
- 5 Athlete-Building Beetroot Recipes
Beetroot has taken center stage since the 2013 Paralympics when athlete David Weir won four gold medals and boasted it was …
- This is The Easiest, Simplest Way to Make a Healthy Delicious Snack.
This snack idea came from a photo shoot, let me explain. Every photo shoot is catered whether it is in …