Every one feels a little lonely once in a while (loneliness). Some people even seek out time alone (solitude). But there’s a big difference between the two!
Solitude is considered an essential component of spirituality and self-growth. It’s enjoyed by certain people and can even lead to creativity and self-realization.
On the other hand, loneliness is a state of mind characterized by a feeling of emptiness or separateness. It can easily become a compulsion and be quite stressful and damaging to those who experience it.
In fact, feeling extreme loneliness can increase an older person’s chances of premature death by 14 percent!
In extreme cases, loneliness can even lead to depression, Alzheimer’s disease, stress, immune response, personality disorders, lack of sleep and chronic illness (1).
“Being alone does not essentially make a person lonely. It is the perception of being alone which makes the person lonely.”
Loneliness Weakens Your Immune System And Causes Inflammation
In a September 2013 Ted Talk entitled “The Lethality of Loneliness,” psychologist John Cacioppo explains that loneliness “is a monotonic function — the lonelier one is and the longer one is lonely, the greater the negative effects.”
A study conducted by the University of Chicago found that loneliness leads to fight-or-flight stress signaling, which can ultimately affect the production of white blood cells. This leaves you more prone to infections and diseases (2).
According to ScienceDaily,
“lonely people had a less effective immune response and more inflammation than non-lonely people.”
Loneliness not only influences our behavior but also weakens the production of white blood cells in our bodies.
How To Use Meditation To Overcome Loneliness
According to the DailyMail,
“researchers found that eight weeks of the mindfulness meditation training decreased the participants’ loneliness.”
As it turns out, this 2,500-year-old practice dating back to the time of the spiritual leader Buddha isn’t just good for your brain. It also helps improve your state of mind.
If you find regular meditation too difficult, try this guided meditation instead. The more you practice this, the better you’ll get at it and the better it will work for you.
If you know someone who may be suffering from loneliness, share this video with them. You may actually help prolong their life in the long-run!
- Eat This Much Turmeric Every Day To Treat Depression Better Than Prozac
Everyone experiences depression at some point in their life. It’s inevitable. It’s part of what makes us human. When depression …
- This 3-Ingredient Face Mask Uses Turmeric And Is Great For Acne, Rosacea, And Dark Circles
This face mask is made simply, with just three ingredients, and can help brighten up the complexion, as well as …
- Why Slacking off at Work is Great for your Health
Do you think your final words, when lying on your death bed will be at all like this; ‘I wish …
- Heavy Metal Exposure During Pregnancy May Contribute to Autism, NIH Finds
Heavy metal exposure during pregnancy may contribute to autism, according to a study recently completed and published by the National Institute …
- Master List of Monsanto Owned “Food” Producers
What if you found out that your favorite brand isn’t as safe and family-friendly as its colorful branding makes it …
- This Green Tea Coconut Oil Scrub Will Make Your Skin Silky Smooth And Visibly Younger
There’s nothing like dry air to make your skin look lifeless and dull, especially when it comes to your face. …
- Eliminate All Poisons From Your Body In 48 Hours: A Weekend Detoxification Diet Plan
Do you feel tired all of the time…and not just tired, but exhausted? When you look in the mirror do …
- 25 Indoor Plants That Can Filter Air Pollutants Out of Your Home And Improve Air Quality
We know that we depend on plants for the air we breathe. They breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out …
- Osteoporosis Is Scurvy of the Bone, Not Calcium Deficiency
The go-to nutrient for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis has historically been calcium. Bone health requires calcium, magnesium, and …
- This Natural Food Could End The Use of Harmful Pesticides And There’s Already a Patent For It
This article first appeared on JeffereyJaxen. Humanity is facing a toxicity problem as our immediate environment becomes increasingly riddled with pesticides. They are …
- This Spicy Tonic Protects You Against Strep Throat, Colds and Flu. (No More Coughing!)
Here’s a simple concoction of six ingredients that are highly effective in offering protection against strep throat, colds and flu. …
- 5 Dangers Associated With Drinking Alcohol You Don’t Know About But Should!
Sipping on a cocktail is an easy way to melt away the stresses of your day, but it comes with a hefty …
- They Said Apple Cider Vinegar Is Great For You, BUT This Is What They Didn’t Tell You
Apple cider vinegar is a must have ingredient in your kitchen and medicine cabinet. And while many health publications praise its …
- The Dorito Effect: How Big Food Companies Have Tricked Us into Craving the Worst Foods on Earth
You like what you eat, you eat what you like, you are what you eat. In the First World, instead …
- 7 Easy Ways To Quickly Unclog Your Lymph Nodes To Reduce Swelling And Flush Out Toxins
You are probably familiar with the term “lymph glands (nodes).” There are hundreds (600-700) of lymph nodes scattered throughout your body. …