A staple food in many diets, perhaps most notably the recently popular Paleo diet, salmon is a good source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B12. Known for its distinctive pink colour and mild flavor that pairs well with dill, garlic, and other herbs. Wild salmon actually ranges in colour depending on location, with Alaskan sockeye salmon being the pinkest due to its diet rich in krill.
Farm-Raised Salmon Use Fake Coloring
Salmon get their colour from their food, farm-raised salmon, which live in pens and are fed a diet made up of various ingredients such as the oil and flesh of smaller fish (e.g. herring and anchovies), corn gluten, ground-up feathers, soybeans, chicken fat, genetically engineered yeast and pink-ifying pellets.
That’s right, pink-ifying pellets.
Is anyone even surprised at this point? Since farm-raised salmons eat a diet that would make their flesh grey, farmers resort to using these pellets to make sure their salmons’ flesh is more appealing to the eye in order to boost sales.
But Is It Healthier? No, Not Really.
The main ingredient in these pink pellets is astaxanthin. While astaxanthin is good for us, some manufacturers synthesize the compound in a lab, using petrochemicals instead of relying on natural algae or pulverized crustaceans.
Wild Is Better For You and The Environment
Wild salmon, which is vastly more nutritious than farmed salmon, is significantly more expensive – sometimes two or three times more expensive than farmed salmon.
What does that extra money buy?
In addition to more nutritional value and a natural hue, wild salmon are more environmentally sustainable than farmed salmon.
Waste from salmon farms can include disease and parasites which affect wild populations of salmon as well as their farmed counterparts, and have a negative impact on local wild salmon ecosystems.
In addition, while wild salmon and farmed salmon can both contain contaminants, wild salmon has significantly lower levels of contaminants and is considered safer to consume in large quantities than farmed salmon.
- ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼http://www.adn.com/article/study-alaska-natives-confirms-salmon-rich-diet-prevents-diabetes-heart- disease
- Here’s Why Listening To Heavy Metal Music Can Actually Benefit You
No, we’re not talking about minerals – heavy metal music, as well as music in the emo, hardcore, punk, and …
- Phosphates Artificially Added to Dairy And Cereals For Improved Flavor Can Harm Your Kidneys
Phosphates are artificially added to a number of food products, including dairy and cereal products. These artificially added phosphates cause …
- Researchers May Have Found a Way To Stop Breast Cancer From Spreading To The Bones
A breakthrough study published in the journal Nature has the potential to dramatically improve survival rates of thousands of breast …
- Eating Vegetables and Proteins Before Carbs Helps Keep Your Blood Sugar Levels In Check
A new study published in the Journal of Diabetes Care says that how, in addition to what, you eat may …
- This Doctor Gave Hundreds of Patients Fake Cancer Diagnosis And Is Now Serving a 45-Year Sentence
A well-known and successful hematologist and oncologist in the Michigan area, Dr. Farid Fata had a respectable reputation among locals …
- Cuba Developed a Lung Cancer Vaccine And It’s Now Heading to The U.S. For Clinical Trials
For the past 55 years, a US-led trade embargo on Cuba has ensured that technological advances made by the country …
- Video Game Developers Made This Virtual Forest For Both Alzheimer’s Patients and Their Caretakers
Many caretakers and family members of people living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia can struggle to understand …
- Want To Sleep Better at Night? Spend More Time In Natural Daylight!
Isn’t it annoying when you can’t seem to fall asleep at night? You try and try to get to sleep, …
- Here’s What Your Handshake Can Tell You About Your Heart Attack And Stroke Risk
Having a firm handshake can be to your benefit in job interviews, but what else can you tell about a …
- Pregnancy Test Leads To Cancer Diagnosis For Teenage Boy
When 18 year old Byron Geldard was diagnosed with cancer, doctors were stumped as to what kind of cancer he …
- New Technology Helps Stimulate The Immune System to “Relentlessly Attack” Cancer Cells
When it comes to breast cancer, the best offense is a good defense – early detection, quickly followed up by intensive …
- Mom Discovers That Treating Her Son With Topical Steroid Was ‘Melting’ His Skin
When Stephanie Smith took her young son to the doctor, she didn’t realize she was starting what would become a …
- Endocannabinoid Deficiency Could Be To Blame For Your Chronic Health Conditions, Study Finds
The medical uses of cannabis are a hotly contested area of medicine right now; with many states in the USA …
- Ireland Makes Gutsy Move Against Tobacco Industry And Bans Branded Packaging
Following in the footsteps of Canada and other countries that have chosen to federally regulate the appearance of cigarette containers …
- Incredible Video Captures Man Playing His Guitar While Surgeons Work To Remove Brain Tumor
Guitarist Eddie Van Halen once famously said that playing the guitar wasn’t as difficult as brain surgery(1). That may or …