While the health effects of honey are well-researched and thoroughly documented, harvesting honey has long been the domain of professional beekeepers and apiarists, due to the time-consuming and expensive nature of the project.
And while many people want to find ways to encourage and protect their local pollinators, especially in the face of the devastating Colony Collapse Disorder plaguing many species of pollinators worldwide, the technology necessary to do so simply hasn’t been accessible to them – until now.
A revolutionary new project, funded by a wildly successful crowdsourcing campaign on Indiegogo – they raised over 6 million dollars, literally millions more than their initial, relatively modest goal of 70,000 – seeks to put the power of beekeeping in the hands of consumers.
The Flow Hive, an invention of father-son team Stuart and Cedar Anderson, relies on simple construction and the natural pull of gravity to gently harvest honey from pre-constructed beehives without disturbing the bees living in the hive. It’s a step beyond traditional honey harvesting, which requires that bee populations be sedated with smoke in order for apiarists to collect honeycombs from their hives.
Cedar Anderson encourages all potential apiarists interested in putting the Flow Hive system to use to consult with their local beekeepers “The Flow Hive still requires beekeepers to know what they’re doing,” the young inventor stresses.
Harvest Your Own Organic Honey
But the accessible nature of the Flow Hive has captured the attention of many amateur beekeepers hoping to harvest their own raw, organic honey from their own Flow Hives. With over 14,000 individual “backers” – investors who have pledged anywhere from 20 to 600 dollars in support of the project – the Andersons are preparing to manufacture and ship thousands of ready-to-use Flow Hives to hopeful apiarists all over the world.
Want To Get In On The Action?
Look into finding out more about your local pollinator populations; not all pollinators produce honey, and the ones that don’t are just as in need of support as the ones that do.
If you can’t afford the 600 dollar pledge to receive your own Flow Hive, helping support your local pollinator population can be as simple as building a bee-friendly garden and buying locally-sourced, organic honey instead of processed supermarket honey.
The message of the Flow Hive project that people clearly find inspiring is the message that they, as individuals, can help support local bee populations – and reap a tasty, healthy reward in the process.
While the Andersons say that they make no claims about their project saving the world, it’s hard to deny that inspiring people to keep local, ethically-sourced and healthy bee populations is a step forward for beekeeping – and a step forward for beekeeping is a step forward for the entire agricultural industry.
- http://www.honeyflow.com/ http://www.beeculture.com/directory/find-local-beekeeper/
- Here’s What Happens To Your Body When You Sit Down For 11 Hours or More a Day
Studies that show the negative effects of sitting for extended periods of time are still fairly new, but the evidence …
- Doctors Are Using Megadoses of Vitamin D to Shorten Hospital Stay And It’s Working!
Vitamin D is commonly thought to help boost the immune system(1), but due to lack of exercise and limited sun …
- Active Nutrient In Turmeric Shows “Very Promising” Cancer-Fighting Properties, Study Finds
Turmeric is a bright orange spice commonly used in Indian cooking. Over the past few years, it has gained notoriety as …
- Follow This Simple Eating Plan To Help Cut Heart Disease Risk By Nearly 50 Percent
The Mediterranean diet – a diet based on the diets eaten in countries bordering the Mediterranean sea – may be …
- New Blood Test Helps Detect Breast Cancer Five Years Before It Develops With Amazing Accuracy
Breast cancer is a problem much more serious than most of us realize! Did you know that: 1 in 8 …
- Key Witness in Medical Malpractice Cases Blocked By CDC From Testifying
In recent years, controversy has arisen over children’s vaccinations against what used to be common diseases. Vaccination against measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) …
- Breakthrough Research Could Lead To Potential Treatment To Stop Diabetics From Going Blind
A new scientific breakthrough could eventually save diabetics from losing their eyesight. Diabetic retinopathy is a condition which causes blindness …
- Phosphates Artificially Added to Dairy And Cereals For Improved Flavor Can Harm Your Kidneys
Phosphates are artificially added to a number of food products, including dairy and cereal products. These artificially added phosphates cause …
- This College Student Ate McDonald’s For 10 Days And Lost Nearly 1,400 Species of Gut Bacteria
We all know that a diet of regular fast food isn’t good for us, but just how unhealthy is it? …
- Green Tea Extract And Daily Exercise Shows “Remarkable” Effects Against Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s disease remains a major public health concern, with nearly 5.5 million Americans affected and even more suffering from the …
- Alzheimer’s Disease May Start Long Before Even The Earliest Symptoms Become Apparent
When it comes to Alzheimer’s disease, early detection can make a huge difference in determining the course of a patient’s …
- Eating Coconut Oil Daily Can Help Reduce Waist Size And Lower Cholesterol Levels, Study Finds
Coconut oil is well-known for its health benefits – hailed as a superfood, many people swear by its ability to reduce …
- After Reading This, You’ll Never Look At Salmon The Same (A Pill That Turns Salmon Flesh Pink?)
A staple food in many diets, perhaps most notably the recently popular Paleo diet, salmon is a good source of …
- Researchers Come Across New Treatment That Could Potentially End Diabetes For Good
Diabetes is one of the major health concerns in the United States today. According to the CDC, in 2014 roughly 9.3% …
- Practicing Mindfulness Can Help Improve Your Blood Sugar Levels
Mindfulness exercise training has been proven to be therapeutic in various aspects of health. It can improve cognitive function, reduce stress, …