3. High Fructose Corn Syrup
This processed sugar is produced from GMO cornstarch, which undergoes an enzymatic process to chemically convert half its glucose molecules into fructose, which is sweeter (6).
This syrup is directly linked to obesity and non-alcoholic liver disease.
4. Corn Syrup
As with any processed sugar, high consumption of corn syrup can lead to obesity and insulin resistance.
5. Natural Flavor
The FDA qualifies natural flavouring as “the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional” (8).
This means that anything naturally occurring, even sugar, can be considered natural flavor.
So you may have noticed that Heinz tends to use a lot of corn in their ketchup, but there’s still more:
Citric acid, often derived from corn, is used to preserve freshness and prevent Clostridium botulinum contamination. This harmful bacteria can cause neurological damage, so processed tomatoes almost always contain extra citric acid.
Spices used in commercial food processing often contain calcium silicate, a corn-derivative, as an anti-caking agent.
Salt, also known as table salt, is iodized, meaning that it likely contains dextrose, a corn-derived sugar. Dextrose is used to stabilize the potassium iodide added to the salt (11).
Heinz has since launched a certified organic ketchup, but registered dietitian Stefanie Senior warns that even healthy ketchup is so high in sugar and salt that you should limit your serving size to one tablespoon a day (12,13).
How to Make Your Own Ketchup
If you’ve ever known your grandmother’s ketchup, then you know this condiment can truly be nutritious.
Tomatoes, to start are a an incredibly heart-healthy fruit, while apple cider vinegar is great for digestion, gout, weight loss, kidney health, and more. As well, coconut sugar is much less inflammatory than processed sugar.
- 4 cups peeled, crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ¾ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp celery salt
- 1/8 tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- Add all ingredients into a large slow cooker.
- Leave uncovered and cook on high heat until it thickens, stirring occasionally (about 10 hours) .
- To improve texture, blend with a hand blender until smooth
- Pass the mixture through a fine strainer and store in a sealable container.
- Once completely cool, adjust seasoning to taste.
- Store refrigerated for up to a few weeks.
Once you’ve made your own ketchup, the store-bought stuff won’t cut it anymore. Plus, you can rest assured that you know exactly what’s in it.
- BigPharma’s Sanofi Pasteur Refuses To Recall Contaminated Vaccine
Yet another reason to distrust commonly administered vaccines has come to light, thanks to local news outlet The Morning Call …
- The 4 Worst Weight Loss Advice You Should Ignore
Weight loss is a tricky subject to discuss. There are plenty of tips and tricks out there that are supposedly …
- 8 Aches and Pains That May be Indicative of a Serious Health Problem
From time to time, it is completely normal to experience an ache or pain and you should not let it …
- How to Lose Weight: the Ultimate Guide
According to the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control, more than seventy percent of adults in the U.S. are overweight …
- ‘Broken Promises of Genetically Modified Crops:’ Huge NY Times Investigation Exposes the Truth About GMOs, Monsanto’s Biggest Lies
Let’s face it, Monsanto has gotten away with crimes even the most hardened criminals would never even imagine doing. And …
- 5 Warning Signs of Poor Blood Circulation In The Body
Your circulatory system doesn’t rest. It’s in action every second of your life but is paid little attention unless you …
- This Old School Russian Remedy Will Clean Out Your Liver With Only ONE Ingredient!
We find ourselves damaging our liver almost all the time; eating all the wrong foods and indulging in bad habits. …
- 5 Alarming Ways Chronic Stress Is Destroying Your Brain And What You Can Do About It
Not all stress is bad for you. Some forms of stress serve to sharpen your focus and push you to …
- Homemade Essential Oil Laundry Powder You Can Make In Minutes For Clean Fresh-Smelling Clothes
There are three types of label-readers: never, sometimes, and always. When it comes to food, there has been quite a …
- How To Unclog a Smelly Drain In Minutes WITHOUT Using Toxic Drain Cleaner!
There’s nothing worse than waking up in the morning, stepping into the shower to wash up and being woken up …
- 6 Ways You’re Causing Your Own Memory Loss
Memory loss is a common side effect of aging. Most of us know that we’re supposed to stay mentally active, …
- Laughter Shown to Work Better Than Pharmaceuticals And Affects The Body Like Exercise
We are rife with involuntary reactions. We know why we sneeze. We know why we cough. We know why we …
- How To Use 2 Common Household Spices To STOP Your Muscles From Aching
Waking up from a good night’s sleep is one of the most amazing and comfortable feelings in the world. Muscle …
- Doctors Removed His Heart and Installed This Weird Device In Its Place. The Results are Shocking.
In March of 2011, a gentlemen by the name of Craig Lewis, a 55-year-old suffering from a life threatening heart …
- 4 Proven Ways to Relieve Stress and Live Better
Stress is a part of life that is unavoidable. Anything can stress you out and everyone, of course, is different …