Garlic is present in almost every kind of cuisine on earth. Not only is it flavorful, it’s also incredibly powerful at healing common ailments.
Although garlic is often served cooked, eating it raw can actually transform this popular spice into a potent medicine (1).
When it comes to heart health, garlic helps to lower high blood pressure (2) and cholesterol, prevent coronary heart disease and heart attack as well as reverse the effects of atherosclerosis.
The bulb is also great for everyday health problems like hayfever, traveler’s diarrhea, cold and flu (3), bug bites and fungal infections.
When it comes to common health problems, eating garlic regularly can help manage the symptoms of oestoarthritis, diabetes and an enlarged prostate.
The bulb also helps boots your immune system and your body’s ability to get rid of toxins. Combined with ginger and onion, it can even help you detox from chemotherapy.
How To Use Garlic
It’s better to eat garlic raw, since it’s active ingredient, allicin, is denaturalized by heat. For best results, crush and chop up the clove and leave it for 15 minutes before eating. Crushing the bulb activates a chemical reaction that make allicin more bioavailable.
As for why you should eat it on an empty stomach, it’s quite simple really: When your stomach is overwhelmed with food, it can be harder for your body to process and absorb all the nutrients the food has to offer.
A great way to add raw garlic to your diet is to mix it with honey:
- Take 2-3 cloves of garlic and chop them into small pieces.
- Mix it with a spoonful of honey.
Eat this mixture every day and you’ll feel more energized and healthy within a week.
How To Make A Garlic Flu Tonic
Please consider wearing gloves if you have sensitive skin, and try not to rub your eyes as you put this tonic together, as some of the natural oils can causes a skin rash or burn.
- Half a yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 red chili peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon of ginger, roughly chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- Apple cider vinegar, organic, unfiltered and raw
- Start with a 350 mL to 500 mL mason jar and fill with the roughly chopped onion.
2. Add the roughly chopped garlic next.
3. Follow with the red chili peppers, seeds and all.
4. Then carefully layer some chopped ginger
5. Squeeze you lemon into a separate bowl, discard the seeds and pour the juice next.
6. Top off mason jar with apple cider vinegar, leaving about a cm of room at the top.
7. Cap your jar and leave on your counter or in a pantry.
8. Your sore throat, cold, and flu tonic is ready for use!
- This Ancient Spice Fights Diabetes, Boosts Your Metabolism And Sharpens Your Memory
You know the saying, “Cinnamon and spice, and all things nice.” Well, maybe there is actually some truth to this …
- 8 Foods You Can Eat Raw To Fight Inflammation
Inflammation is a natural part of our bodies’ immune response, but at the same time, chronic inflammation can be seriously …
- Post-Workout: When and What To Drink
A post-workout meal or drink is highly recommended after an intensive exercise bout, such as an hour of swimming practice, …
- Drinking Cherry Juice Can Help Reduce Inflammation and Promote Sleep
Tart cherries are incredibly high in antioxidants and may be able to help reduce chronic inflammation, which can occur from …
- 5 Excellent Reasons Why You Should Be Eating Ginger Every Day
Ginger is a popular spice, for good reason – it can add much-needed zing to many recipes, from stir-fry to …
- Breast Cancer Survivor Says Raw Food Diet Helped Her Heal
Janette Murray-Wakelin is a breast cancer survivor who credits a raw food diet, meditation, physical activity, and following her intuition …
- How To Make Your Own Super-Healthy Detox Tea
The ingredients in this detox tea have been reported to possess a whole list of powerful health benefits, including antioxidant, …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- 3 Ways This Type of Sugar Makes You Fat
Anyone who is trying to eat healthy knows that sugar should be avoided or, at the very least, eaten in …
- What These Researchers Found About Soft Drinks Will Blow Your Mind.
Soda is quite possibly the most vilified food/beverage on the market, and for good reason. The beverage offers zero nutritional …
- The 4 Best Sources of Carbs EVER for a Flatter Belly
They are everywhere—simple sugars that your body can process easily—the “BAD” carbs. If you are looking for a flat belly …
- Eating Your Trees: Fun and Healthy Broccoli Recipes
Broccoli is rich in fiber, vitamin C, and tons of phytonutrients, and it’s available just about year round. While you …
- The Raw Food Diet ‘FullyRaw’ Meal Plan
Do you want to succeed at a raw food diet?! Kristina Carrillo-Bucaram will show you how. Here is a fun …
- The Microalgae That Delivers Nutrients To Your Cells Without Taxing Your Liver or Digestive System
Marine phytoplankton (also known as microalgae) are single-cell micro-organisms that live in natural bodies of water all over the world. …
- Tomato Extract: Better And Safer Blood Thinner Than Aspirin
You have no doubt heard that Aspirin can save your life if you are experiencing a heart attack or stroke. …