Detoxing is an important part of recovery from any illness, but it’s especially important when the treatment for that illness involves harsh medicine that may damage your body just as much as the actual sickness, such as chemotherapy.
If you’re looking to change your diet, these tonics will help flush toxins out of your body and prepare you for healthier lifestyle changes.
Packed with ingredients that are natural anti-inflammatories, diuretics, and digestive aids, these tonics will help lower your blood pressure, manage your cholesterol, and promote heart and digestive health as well.
Easy to prepare, with ingredients that are accessible at your local grocery store, these tonics are a great first step to detoxing and better overall health. Try combining them with other superfoods, or drink them as part of a cleanse, and see first hand the impact they can have on helping your body recover.
1. Juicing Tonic
For this recipe, you’ll need a juicer or a hand juicer. Combine equal parts grated ginger, turmeric, and cranberry with the juice of one lemon and add a pinch of cayenne pepper and cracked black pepper to the mix. Stir the mixture and drink it.
How It Works
Ginger is a powerful anti-nausea agent, and has been proven to be especially effective in helping cope with post-chemotherapy nausea. It has also been found to reduce muscle pain when taken daily, and has shown promising effects when it comes to preventing specific forms of cancer.
In addition to all of this, ginger has a long history of being used to treat loss of appetite, making it perfect for someone struggling with the regular nausea and loss of appetite that comes with chemotherapy treatments.
When combined with turmeric, which is a natural anti-inflammatory agent with cancer-fighting properties, it makes for a powerful recovery drink.
2. Cranberry Lemonade
- 1 Gallon distilled water
- 1 cup organic cranberry juice (not from concentrate)
- 3 organic lemons
- raw honey to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
Use a citrus juicer to juice the lemons and combine the lemon juice, cranberry juice, and water in a gallon jar or jug. Sweeten it to taste with raw honey and add a pinch or two of liquid cayenne pepper to give it a bit of a kick.
How It Works
Cranberry works as a natural diuretic helping to flush toxins out of your system.
But did you know it can also help regulate your blood pressure? It’s also good for fighting off cancer, coping with nausea, reducing muscle pain and increasing your appetite.
Cayenne pepper in moderate amounts can also help with pain relief, adding not only a kick to this drink taste-wise but also in terms of helping you along your way to recovery.
3. Total Tonic
- 1 medium handful of raw garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 handful of chopped onions
- 1 handful grated ginger
- 1 handful chopped horseradish
- 1/2 handful chopped habanero peppers
- 1 bottle of raw apple cider vinegar
Put these ingredients in a blender and cover them with two inches of apple cider vinegar before blending. This tonic won’t taste good, but it will boost your immune system and help you fight off illness.
How It Works
Garlic has a long history of being used for it’s medicinal properties, and is used today for many conditions linked to the heart and blood system. The key ingredient in garlic is allicin, which is strongest in fresh garlic, so make sure your garlic is absolutely fresh!
We’ve already covered the health benefits of ginger, which this tonic has in abundance; when combined with the kick of habanero peppers, this drink will help clear your sinuses.
With these powerful tonics in your arsenal, you’ll be well on the road to recovery. Combine these with your regular treatment regimen to help your body recover not just from the ravages of illness, but from the harsh effects of modern medicine as well.
- http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-958-cranberry.aspx? activeingredientid=958&activeingredientname=cranberry
- http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-300-garlic.aspx? activeingredientid=300&activeingredientname=garlic
- 6 Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Did you know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? It’s never a good idea to skip …
- The Turmeric-Cauliflower Flatbread Recipe That Fights Inflammation And Cancer With Every Bite
Cauliflower isn’t the most exciting vegetable for most people, but it really does deserve a place on your grocery list. …
- No-Flour Banana Pancakes Are Easy To Make And Rich In Potassium
Who doesn’t love pancakes? They’re sweet, fluffy and simply delicious! They can be combined with all sorts of fruits and …
- Drink This Ancient Detox Tea To Cleanse The Liver, Boost Memory and Reduce Muscle Pain
There’s no shortage of recipes for detoxifying teas and other beverages, but unlike many, this recipe has withstood the test …
- Make 7 Days Worth of Breakfast In Just One Day With This Easy Oatmeal Hack
Steal-cut oats usually take about 40 minutes to cook. Nobody wants to spend that kind of time first thing in the …
- How to Make Fruit Roll-Ups at Home With REAL Fruit and Gelatin For Your Hair, Skin and Joints
Despite being advertised as containing “real fruit”, commercial fruit roll-ups contain in fact more hydrogenated oil and high-fructose corn syrup …
- How To Make Homemade Matcha Marshmallows
There are plenty of reasons to avoid artificial food dyes. Studies have linked them to behavioral problems in children, including …
- 5 Athlete-Building Beetroot Recipes
Beetroot has taken center stage since the 2013 Paralympics when athlete David Weir won four gold medals and boasted it was …
- 5 Sweet Tooth Satisfying But Healthy Apricot Recipes. #5 Will Boost Heart Health.
Summer-ready apricots are a great and healthy way to satisfy your urge for something sweet, but also jam packed with …
- Raw Protein Balls Made With Cacao, Hemp, Chia and Flax Seeds (Takes Less Than 10 Minutes to Make!)
These protein balls not only taste great, but are high in protein, essential fats, and antioxidants – the perfect snack …
- 10 Vegan Recipes That Cheese Addicts Will Love
1. Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese This one is a classic. Recipe here. 2. Roasted Sweet Potato and Bean Quesadillas …
- Heal Your Body From The Inside Out With These 8 Cancer-Fighting Soups
There’s nothing like a good soup to warm you up up from the inside out. Most homemade soups are actually …
- Drink This Medicinal Tea To Detoxify Your Liver And Strengthen Your Immune System
Take your morning warm lemon water ritual to a new level with the anti-inflammatory and detoxing powers of ginger and …
- Cannabis Coconut Oil – Easy Recipe Combats Pain, Nausea, Seizures, and More
As scientific research takes baby steps into the medicinal qualities of cannabis, we find the door opening to an infinite …
- This Smoothie Is So Good You Won’t Believe It Has One of the Most Powerful Antioxidants In The World
Smoothies are the perfect meal supplement for people looking to lose weight while still getting essential nutrients in their diet. …