As the days get warmer and the daylight hours get longer, many parents instinctively reach for the sunscreen to keep their kids’ skin protected. However, this very habit can actually put your child at risk.
That’s because some sunscreen contains questionable chemicals that can damage the skin and even contribute to the development of skin cancer (1). Plus, anyone with sensitive skin will tell you that even child-proof sunscreen can cause mild skin irritation and a burning sensation. In some children, the reaction is much more severe.
Just take it from Rebecca Cannon, whose 14-month-old daughter, Kyla, suffered burns after using “toddler-safe” sunscreen.
Cannon followed all the guidelines on the back of the sunscreen, which was approved for children 6 months and older, spraying the formula on her hands before applying it to Kyla’s skin.
Despite her best efforts, Kyla suffered severe second-degree burns, also known as chemical burns on her face without even going out in the sun.
“Kyla is back home after another hospital trip this morning due to extreme swelling but she is doing ok and is in good spirits .. please watch and be careful when using aerosolized sunscreen! I have done a lot of research. Since coming home and have found a disturbing amount of cases like ours. I don’t know why it’s not removed from the shelves !! Pictures from first to last is from yesterday morning to this afternoon please be careful the sunscreen used was banana boat spf 50 broad spectrum kids sunscreen — have spoken with banana boat and at this point besides a reimbursement for the product not sounding like they are going to do anything,” Cannon wrote in a Facebook post (2).
“I just want the word out for parents to be careful as to what they are putting on their children,” she told POPSUGAR (3).
How Sunscreen Works
Sunscreen typically includes a combination of two to six of the following active ingredients: oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, and octinoxate. Mineral sunscreen, which is stable in sunlight and protects against UVA and UVB rays use zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide for protection (4).
Here are other common chemicals in sunscreen:
Sunscreen is not a bulletproof way to protect your skin:
“Stanford University dermatologists who reviewed CDC national survey data concluded that people who relied solely on sunscreens for sun protection had more sunburns than people who reported infrequent sunscreen use but wore hats and clothing to shield themselves from the sun. In Sweden, increased use of sunscreen by children was linked to more sunburns. Several other studies of real-world sunscreen use found that people who use sunscreen for skin protection during periods of intense UV exposure had more sunburns.” (6)
The best way to prevent sunburn is by avoiding the sun during peak hours of 10 am – 3 pm. If you have to go out during these hours, protect your skin with long, loose-fitting clothing and a wide-brimmed hat. Tightly-weaved cotton and linen are great sun-shielding options. Bright fabrics will provide more protection than pale ones (7).
Additionally, choose shady spots when walking or sitting for long periods of time. Don’t hesitate to bring an umbrella to make your own shade at the beach or during your picnic.
You can also make your own sunscreen by following this non-toxic recipe:
If you’re not interested in making your own, here’s a list of safe sunscreens for kids that you can find almost anywhere:
- Adorable Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- All Good Kid’s Sunscreen, SPF 30
- All Terrain KidSport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 50
- Babytime! by Episencial Sunny Sunscreen, SPF 35
- Badger Baby Sunscreen Cream, SPF 30
- Bare Republic Baby Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen Baby, SPF 30+
- BurnOut KIDS Sunscreen, SPF 35
- California Baby Super Sensitive Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Caribbean Sol Sol Kid Kare, SPF 30
- Goddess Garden Organics Baby Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Kiss My Face Organics Kids Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen, SPF 50
- Sunology Natural Sunscreen Kids, SPF 50
- Sunumbra Sunkids Natural Sunscreen, SPF 40
- ThinkSport Kids Sunscreen, SPF 50+
- Tom’s of Maine Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- TruKid Sunny Days Sport Sunscreen, SPF 30
For more information on how this list was made, visit EWG.
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …