As the days get warmer and the daylight hours get longer, many parents instinctively reach for the sunscreen to keep their kids’ skin protected. However, this very habit can actually put your child at risk.
That’s because some sunscreen contains questionable chemicals that can damage the skin and even contribute to the development of skin cancer (1). Plus, anyone with sensitive skin will tell you that even child-proof sunscreen can cause mild skin irritation and a burning sensation. In some children, the reaction is much more severe.
Just take it from Rebecca Cannon, whose 14-month-old daughter, Kyla, suffered burns after using “toddler-safe” sunscreen.
Cannon followed all the guidelines on the back of the sunscreen, which was approved for children 6 months and older, spraying the formula on her hands before applying it to Kyla’s skin.
Despite her best efforts, Kyla suffered severe second-degree burns, also known as chemical burns on her face without even going out in the sun.
“Kyla is back home after another hospital trip this morning due to extreme swelling but she is doing ok and is in good spirits .. please watch and be careful when using aerosolized sunscreen! I have done a lot of research. Since coming home and have found a disturbing amount of cases like ours. I don’t know why it’s not removed from the shelves !! Pictures from first to last is from yesterday morning to this afternoon please be careful the sunscreen used was banana boat spf 50 broad spectrum kids sunscreen — have spoken with banana boat and at this point besides a reimbursement for the product not sounding like they are going to do anything,” Cannon wrote in a Facebook post (2).
“I just want the word out for parents to be careful as to what they are putting on their children,” she told POPSUGAR (3).
How Sunscreen Works
Sunscreen typically includes a combination of two to six of the following active ingredients: oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, and octinoxate. Mineral sunscreen, which is stable in sunlight and protects against UVA and UVB rays use zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide for protection (4).
Here are other common chemicals in sunscreen:
Sunscreen is not a bulletproof way to protect your skin:
“Stanford University dermatologists who reviewed CDC national survey data concluded that people who relied solely on sunscreens for sun protection had more sunburns than people who reported infrequent sunscreen use but wore hats and clothing to shield themselves from the sun. In Sweden, increased use of sunscreen by children was linked to more sunburns. Several other studies of real-world sunscreen use found that people who use sunscreen for skin protection during periods of intense UV exposure had more sunburns.” (6)
The best way to prevent sunburn is by avoiding the sun during peak hours of 10 am – 3 pm. If you have to go out during these hours, protect your skin with long, loose-fitting clothing and a wide-brimmed hat. Tightly-weaved cotton and linen are great sun-shielding options. Bright fabrics will provide more protection than pale ones (7).
Additionally, choose shady spots when walking or sitting for long periods of time. Don’t hesitate to bring an umbrella to make your own shade at the beach or during your picnic.
You can also make your own sunscreen by following this non-toxic recipe:
If you’re not interested in making your own, here’s a list of safe sunscreens for kids that you can find almost anywhere:
- Adorable Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- All Good Kid’s Sunscreen, SPF 30
- All Terrain KidSport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 50
- Babytime! by Episencial Sunny Sunscreen, SPF 35
- Badger Baby Sunscreen Cream, SPF 30
- Bare Republic Baby Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen Baby, SPF 30+
- BurnOut KIDS Sunscreen, SPF 35
- California Baby Super Sensitive Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Caribbean Sol Sol Kid Kare, SPF 30
- Goddess Garden Organics Baby Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Kiss My Face Organics Kids Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen, SPF 50
- Sunology Natural Sunscreen Kids, SPF 50
- Sunumbra Sunkids Natural Sunscreen, SPF 40
- ThinkSport Kids Sunscreen, SPF 50+
- Tom’s of Maine Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- TruKid Sunny Days Sport Sunscreen, SPF 30
For more information on how this list was made, visit EWG.
- How 3 Naturopathic Doctors Cured Cancer (Different Treatments, Similar Results)
The field of cancer treatment is one full of constant new developments. Study after study is performed, then overturned, as …
- 5 Common Risk Factors for Kidney Disease
Stay on the lookout for kidney disease—a silent killer that lurks quietly and strikes with dangerous consequences before most people …
- The Scoop on Your Poop
It’s a topic that most of us are afraid to ask questions about – what does your poop mean about …
- Calcium Supplements Don’t Make Your Bones Stronger…They Buildup In Your Arteries And Kidneys!
The dairy industry has long promoted their products by continuously drilling the importance of calcium in the heads of consumers. …
- Key Witness in Medical Malpractice Cases Blocked By CDC From Testifying
In recent years, controversy has arisen over children’s vaccinations against what used to be common diseases. Vaccination against measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) …
- FDA Finds Daily Aspirin Unnecessary for Heart Health
Around about 30 years ago, aspirin was identified as a harmless drug that could prevent a heart attack or stroke. …
- 3 Simple Rules to Follow to Eliminate Chronic Pain for Good
The beauty of the body is that it has several feedback mechanisms to alert you that something is going wrong. …
- How Essential Oils Affect Your Vision. What Not Enough People Know About
Essential oils from plants have been found to provide relief and healing for a wide variety of human conditions. As …
- This Is What It Means To Season Your Cast Iron Pans With Coconut Oil
While ceramic and glass cookware have been popular for a while, old-fashioned cast iron cookware is coming back into style. These …
- Here’s Everything You Need To Know This Summer About Removing And Preventing Tick Bites
As summer comes and the weather gets warmer, it’s hard to resist the great outdoors. While we might feel safe …
- Feed Your Brain The Right Nutrients To Help Regulate Your Mood And Curb Depression
There’s a growing body of research that says that for people with depression, proper nutrition can provide a world of …
- Men With Bleeding Gums are TWICE as Likely to Suffer From Erectile Dysfunction
It’s all connected. Every cell in your body. Nothing works in isolation. A Turkish study on erectile dysfunction (ED) found …
- Doctors Urge Parents To Save Their Kid’s Baby Teeth…Here’s Why!
Move over tooth fairy, modern medicine has found a new life for lost teeth. Inside baby teeth is dental pulp, …
- These Are The Most Dangerous & Heavily Promoted Prescription Drugs: Here Are Natural Alternatives
While it’s bad enough that almost half of the entire US population (48.7 percent) has used at least one of …
- Colorado Is Using $3 Million From Marijuana Tax To Provide Food And Housing For The Homeless
Legalizing marijuana is not a new issue by any means. And for the most part, it has been, and will …